PDA

View Full Version : Att all you menopausal ladies

Razzleberry
10-22-2006, 04:14 PM
I have a question for the ladies of a certain age :D

Do you find any correlation between raging hot flashes (with copious sweating) and lupus tiredness, flares, over work etc etc???

I seem to be be having more and more severe hot flashes especially when I'm over due for a nap or I've done something physical like changing bed linens or gardening ..things like that.

Before this whole Lupus issue I'd have the occasional hot flash but no sweating and just the normal swoosh hotness and then it'd be gone.

Just wondering if this is the normal menopause nonsense or a Lupus issue.

Opinions? Suggestions?

mnjodette
10-23-2006, 08:08 AM
I thought I was over the hot flashes, but in the past few months they've come back with a vengence. Yes, they do seem to correlate to periods of exertion, or if something stressful is going on. And, yes, they are not just a quick hot flash, but the whole blissful experience - sweating like I'd run a marathon. I'm new enough to this dx that I'm not sure if it's Lupus related. They pass, of course, so it's not the worst symptom. Just one more in the long list.

Jody

MARYCAIN
10-23-2006, 11:21 AM
Hi, Mrs. Murdena. I can understand about the hot flashes - I went through several miserable months after my hysterectomy because I couldn't take hormone replacement therapy. My face would turn bright red and I would be so sweaty my hair would be wringing wet. It's uncomfortable, especially if you're with other people. Eventually my hot flashes subsided and now I rarely have them. If you know you are in menopause, it might be helpful to have your hormone levels checked -you might be able to take hormone replacement therapy, or there are non-hormonal treatments available. Hot flashes can start during the pre-menopause period, sometimes 5-10 years before actual menopause, so it's important to have your hormones levels checked before taking therapy or other treatment. Some people find relief with the soy-based natural products like Estroven, which contain plant sterols similar to estrogen. Just increasing the soy in your diet can also help.

There has been a lot of research about the relationship between lupus and female hormones, since the disease predominatly affects women. There definitely appears to be some link - women with lupus on average go into menopause five years earlier than women without lupus. Many women also notice that their lupus is more active right before their menstrual periods start. Other women notice their lupus goes into remission after menopause - I'm still waiting hopefully for this to happen. Some rheumatotologists recommend hormone replacement therapy - others disagree. If you have apls or a history of blood clots, strokes or clotting disorders, HRT is probably not a good option.

The hot flash is caused by blood vessels in your skin dilating rapidly to release heat - some researchers think that low hormone levels affect your body's internal temperature controls and make you more sensitive to even minor temperature changes like exertion or being outside. There are things you can do - wearing natural fibers like cotton and keeping your house a few degrees cooler, also avoiding alcohol, peppery or spicy foods, and food additives like MSG can all reduce the incidence of hot flashes.

Many prescription drugs such as anti-hypertensives and anti-depressants or anti-anxiety medications can also cause hot flashes. Each prescription drug you are taking should be checked to see if hot flashes or night sweats are a known side effect. Some over-the-counter medications and supplements can also increase hot flashes - your pharmacist can help you if you can't find the information elsewhere.

Hope this helps!

littlered
10-23-2006, 11:56 AM
I too could not tolerate hormone replacement therapy. My doctor gave me (uhmmm.... :oops: ) topical cream for dryness in private areas. But the hot flashes drive me nuts. We have ceiling fans in every room, and even in winter I must have it going to be able to sleep.

val
10-23-2006, 02:36 PM
I had a hysterectomy 2001 which triggered my lupus. I refused HRT but almost 6 years on I have dreadful sweats particularly at night, I am wet through, I live with a fan beside me. I am well over the menopause now but my sweats are no better. I have had a high ESR for 5 years and I am sure its the lupus that causes the sweats in my case.
Val

MARYCAIN
10-23-2006, 03:08 PM
Have you had a bone density test done? After menopause, surgical or medical, your bones lose the protection of estrogen and you become more prone to osteoporosis. Steroids and other lupus treatments can accelerate bone loss, so it's especially important for lupus patients to get regular bone density tests, even if you're taking fosamax or other osteoporosis meds.

val
10-23-2006, 05:22 PM
Hi Mary,
Yes I have one yearly, have some osteopaenia but its holding ok. I am on steroids continuously, thyroxine and no oestrogen so in high risk group.
I take didronol and calcichew.
Thanks for reply
Hugs Val

Razzleberry
10-24-2006, 03:36 PM
Hi Marycain, Thanks for all the menopause info ...I had a hysterectomy 8 years ago now and was all finished with the hot flashes etc until this Lupus reared it's ugly head. I don't know if it's a "real" hot flash or something to do with the lupus. I'm so newly diagnosed that I don't have a good feel for the different affects yet. I see my rheumy next week and will bring it up because these are so different from the hot flashes I had before. Never a dull moment eh?

Jann
10-26-2006, 08:22 PM
HI

I am 54 post menopausal for 3 years (yippee).

I diagnosed with RA when I was 24, OA when I was 40 and SLE at the ripe old age of 47. On the typical meds(plaq, mobic, and steroids for flare ups) I also have cardio problems which I do not believe are related, but are family history (thanks dad) (hypertension and MVP) and meds for that ( including water pills)

I had 1 hot flash!!! Years ago Honest. I wasn't sure what it was, but that had to be it. Otherwise no symptoms or the nightmares I have heard about form others in the same age group ( without the alphabet I have)

I have noticed the last year or so I am sleeping with my window open in the winter and I am sweating during my sleep. I do not like a fan in the summer so I just chill the room to ice and turn of the a/c for sleeping.

I never though that the night sweats might be related to the alphabet of diseases. I will be asking both my rheum and my gyn on the next visit---- couldn't hurt.

Jann