PDA

View Full Version : Brain Fog

val
10-21-2006, 05:11 PM
I find I cannot read books any more coz I cannot remember what I have read. I also cannot remember if I have taken my pills or not so I now use a dossett box so I can check-ironic really as 4 years ago I was filling them for my patients-I was a community nurse.!!
I also say words wrong and I nearly gassed my family when I left the cooker on
Its difficult adapting to this problem
Luckily I have a brilliant hubby who checks everything is off if I am in the kitchen.
Val

Not sure why this came as a new topic I replied to one further down, guess I did something wrong.

lupusgirlstefanie
10-23-2006, 02:08 PM
Hey Val

I know how you feel. I find that I have times when I can't read much because either the words just don't make sense no matter how hard I try to read over and over, or like you said I can't remember what I just read!

I too say words funny or I'll mix up letters like Word i'll type wrod or work, or like I"ll type lkie it's weird even talking I'll trip over my words sometimes my friend said it sounds like someone who has had a stroke trying to say a word and it comes out all muffled. That's what I sound like when I trip over my words it's so weird and scary.

But I know I've even forgtten the stove on before thankfully my mom saw it pretty quick so now I don't cook unless my mom is near by it's so bad.

I hope it gets better for you hon

stefanie

littlered
10-23-2006, 02:10 PM
I mix words up, too. I meant to tell my husband to wrap some frozen tacquitos in some paper towels before microwaving, and I told him to wrap them in toilet paper! I didn't even realize I said it. He looked at me like I had lost my mind!

val
10-23-2006, 02:26 PM
I think we have lost our mind--but we have to laugh about it.
Val

lupusgirlstefanie
10-29-2006, 02:46 PM
LOL Val

To true!

stjames13
10-30-2006, 08:02 AM
8) DON:T BE SO HARD ON YOURSELF MY DEAR !!!!! :lol: :lol:

WE all have not slept well in years, we are under constant stress, and our minds are racing all the time.

WE are constantly questioning our doctors and have a million things running through our minds.

What you need to do is go out and get someof those meditation cd's and sit in your favorite part of the house put in the cd and let your MIND RELAX.

The more and more you do this the more and more your thought will STOP rading through your head and you will be able to remember and retain what you have read or what you are trying to concentrate on.

PLUS we all lose a little bit of our memories with age....I Know I have.

Some of it may be due to your meds.....but I would say most of it is you are THINKING about this LUPUS way to much.

Take the time to go outside and walk around your yard....go to a flower store or a garden center and take the time to enjoy LIFE"S beauty.

PLEASE SLOW DOWN.....STOP STRESSING YOURSELF OUT.....

I do not know if you see a therapist or not but I seriously reccomend one for each of us....TRUST ME THEY CAN HELP !!!!

Until you get this under control keep a samll tabulature book in your pocket book and if something comes into your mid you want to remember write it down !!!!!

Eventualy your mind will catch up ....but you must let all the worrying and constant thinking about LUPUS GO first.....really those meditation cd's really work....so do small 3 day vacations to places you feel comfortable at !!!!!!!

AS the KIDS SAY CHILL OUT !!!!!!!
Feel free to contact me at STJAMES13@GMAIL.COM and we can talk more about this if ya like

FEEL BETTER....and remember ONE THING AT A TIME !!!!!!

STJAMES :wink: 8)

val
10-30-2006, 09:30 AM
Sorry to disagree but I certainly don't think Lupus. I put it totally out of my mind and have started my own business. Its only when I have to stop that I do.
I love Life and don't let lupus stop me. I have APS and the circulation to my brain is affected so my memory, concentration and balance is affected. No therapist is going to help that.
Val

littlered
11-07-2006, 01:23 PM
uh....I was gonna post something here but I forgot it. dang. Brain fog again!
My very best friend had a terrible stroke a few years ago. Her entire left side was affected. She has come a LONG way with LOTs of work...her arm still is bent, her hand is almost useless, and she drags her foot some when she walks...but boy, she can do almost anything!!! Once in a while, she starts to talk louder and louder without knowing it....we have a signal, so that I don't have to say anything...I just tug my ear and she knows to tone it down.
anyhow, SHE forgets what to say sometimes and gets the wrong words out too. So we understand each other, laugh at/with each other. friendships like this are truly gifts from God.

KayCee31614
11-07-2006, 02:58 PM
I have a younger sister that had a stroke 17 years ago. It was Lupus related. She is paralyzed on the left side as well. She is doing pretty good, but she has very little use of her left arm and her left leg drags sometimes too. I have SLE and I worry that this may one day happen to me. Oh well.

christina
11-07-2006, 08:12 PM
How do you know if it's brain fog if things are more subtle? I don't have problems speaking or things that I even notice; but sometimes my husband says that I said something that I swear I didn't. Even after his reminder it isn't familiar to me like " oh yah, now I remember" I think he is crazy and he thinks I am! Just wondering if maybe I'm just a little wacky sometimes or if there are early signs of brain fog?

Saysusie
11-14-2006, 04:08 PM
Each of our "Brain Fog" symptoms are pretty unique. Some of us show subtle signs and some of us show more pronounced signs. The funny part is that "Brain Fog" seems to affect all of us in some way.
There are several posts in this forum that explains the dynamics of Brain fog, but suffice it to say that it is a real phenomenon that too many of us have to deal with! :?

Saysusie

GlassHalfFull
11-17-2006, 05:20 PM
I think the toughest thing for me about the brain fog is how it comes and goes. I second guess myself all the time and get almost OCD about checking my work as as well as processes. Did I lock the car etc?

It does scare me. The tough thing is balancing when to just through up your hands - laugh-and move on versus focusing on corrective action.

I live in constant fear of doing something stupid and losing my job -- but I also don't want that to become a self-fulfilling prophecy...

Missy
11-18-2006, 08:06 PM
I've gotten used to just telling people, even my clients, that if I don't write it down, it's not going to happen.

I don't think I could even exist without sticky notes........what would I do?