PDA

View Full Version : HELP WITH THIS ITCH!

tara_kendyle
10-14-2003, 06:40 PM
Hello to everyone...

First let me thank Saysusie...your response was helpful but I still need more input...
My story with Lupus is a new one. While I have probably been symptomatic ofr a year now, I only recently went to the doctor and was diagnosed with "mild" lupus.
My symptoms range as I am sure you all know first hand. However, perhaps the most perplexing is the itch.
I HAVE NO RASH typical of the disease. For that matter, I have NO rash. However, when there is a temp change outside that is drastic, or when I get rained on, or when I take a bath or a shower my legs itch so profoundly that the lengths I am willing to go to at said moment to relieve the sensation are unreal. The itch onsets about 10 minutes after drying. There is no pain while in the water, it is only AFTER I dry.
:( The itch is NOT TOPICAL...meaning that my skin is not dry, nor is it in need of topical lubricants that would ease the pain. THe pain is VERY deep, as if I want to scratch the muscles themselves, it is PAINFUL, HOT AND its as if there is a fireworks show going on in my very body! My remy has no answer for this reatction. WHen this is going on, my legs twitch uncontrolably and I have about 45 minutes of prolonged pain, crying, and uncontrolable twitching. As you can imagine, I have become so fearful of water. I bathe once weekly now and take major antihistamines just to get through.(hydroxyzine). I am a fanatic about cleanliness and this is about to cripple me. I am active and I LOVE my bath time! Or at least I did....Can ANYONE ANYWHERE help? RElate? Soothe? EAse my frustrations? Begging here....
Tara

Saysusie
10-16-2003, 10:04 AM
Tara:
I have searched and searched and this is the only thing that I found that dealt with itching...particularly after a bath!
DERMOGRAPHISM: this can appear at any age, but is most common in young adults. The onset is usually gradual, but can also develop in a matter of days. Attacks of itching can sometimes have weals from scratching and the symptoms are worse in hot conditions...ESPECIALLY AFTER WARM BATHS!!
Minor pressure from clothing, chair seats, etc. can start up the itching and weals (as well as towelling after a bath). This condition can occur with "Mechanical hives" (uticaria) and can last for month or go on indefinitely.
It is suggested that you consult a dermatologist. In the meantime, use antihistanines. Avoid HOT baths or showers and rough toweling.
Also, it suggested that stress and connective tissue disorders (such as LUPUS) can bring on an onset (as well as allergies, infections and some medications like quinine such as plaquenil and other anti-inflammatory drugs). The chronic condition of this illness is usually due to an autoimmune disease such as Lupus where the body is allergic to itself!
Your dermatologist may be the best person to speak with who will work with your rheumatologist to determine exactly what is going on and what your treatment should be!!

I hope that I have been helpful!
Let me know what you find out!
Saysusie

JenHa55
10-20-2003, 09:46 PM
Hi,

I have never had much of a skin problem until the last couple of years. I have had a couple of different problems - I thought it was the water or something, because it happened after bathing and everything but I was allergic to a medication I was on and didn't put it all together until later. I didn't figure out that I was taking the medication about 45 minutes before my showers. I didn't get the itch from a soak in the tub with no product in it. That was a while ago - it went away when I stopped the medication.

Now, I am finding I am "sensitive" to certain body washes and I am now looking for a new body wash. It was suggested to me to find a new body wash and also it could be changes in the water as well, as there is nickel and chemicals in the water and you could be sensitive to that as well. A girl in my support group has a sensitivity to the water and now she baths in pre-boiled water right now. There must be other solutions. Mine is defintely my body wash at the moment but I have been researching.

Definitely see a Dermatologist as they can usually pinpoint something and if they can't, hopefully they will find someone that can.

I feel your pain - I have your pain! Not fun!!!! I have been taking Benadryl to ease my itchiness when it occurs.

Good luck and let me know if you find a solution as well!

JenHa55
10-03-2004, 12:45 PM
Here I am, months later... it comes and goes but more there then not. I too am getting the incredible itch that can't be solved!!! The bath isn't nearly as bad as the shower so now I am soaking in a warm tub and washing my hair seperately without soaking my body in another effort to stop the itching. It's a horrible horrible itch.

If you have any ideas or have had any success, please let me know. I hope your itching has improved!

Take care,
Jen

silverlioness
05-18-2005, 10:26 PM
It could also be Polycythemia Vera. The Merck Manual references an "itch all over, particularly after a hot bath. Burning sensations in the hands and feet or, more rarely, bone pain may be felt."

I also googled it. Here's one link:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000589.htm

madthumbs
05-24-2005, 05:56 PM
Not sure I have lupus, but I sure have most of the symptoms. I have the same type of skin. It's not dry at all.

Have you noticed that your sking being wet/ wet longer makes it worse?

The first thing I've found to help in my case was antifungal spray (tolfonate). Honestly I hate the stuff because it gets all over and it's hard not to breath some of it. I remembered a friend telling me that peeing in the shower prevented/ cured athletes foot which is a fungus. Now it appears that urine works as well for the itch. Before you try to go out in society with urine all over, I've found that it even helps just before a shower (at least for me). I've heard also that it can cure throat infections (gross I know, but there's many testimonies). I won't go on, but to suggest googling; "urine therapy".

My thinking now is that lupus may make us susceptible to fungus, or we have fungus, or fungicide has another use.

I've tried many other things like lotions, cortisone cream, capsaicin creme (which did a good job, but isn't practical), etc.

If nothing else, give the tolfonate spray a try. It started relieving me the first try.

val
06-06-2005, 04:40 PM
Hi,
I have found I am allergic to tablet soap. Since changing to the liquid variety I find the irritation much better. I doi however have an area on my back, Dr's say its due to steroids. This area itches dreadfully always in the same place.
Val

madthumbs
06-06-2005, 06:02 PM
Soap and detergent are two different beasts. You'll find many people opting for cleansing with detergents nowadays. How? -shampoo. It can clean your whole body. It makes cleaning your bathing quarters much easier as well.

Saysusie
06-08-2005, 06:56 AM
Speakin of shampoo for bodywashing...I have been using baby shampoo for years. It has not caused any itching or dryness. I also use baby wash!
Most body washes, soaps, shower gels etc. actually stay on your skin even after rinsing off. The residuals may be contributing to your body itching.
The thing about baby shampoo is that it does rinse off completely. Johnson's baby wash also rinses off completely. I have a lupie friend who uses baking soda to cleanse her body (I guess it serves as a body scrub as well).

Best Of Luck
Saysusie