PDA

View Full Version : Saysusie, Question about your migraines

MARYCAIN
10-15-2006, 09:09 AM
Sorry the feverfew didn't work for you - it took about 4 weeks daily use before I saw an effect from it.

Just wondering if by any chance you grill a lot of your meats and vegetables in peanut oil? My middle son inherited my migraines, and we couldn't figure out what was triggering his because he didn't eat any of the usual trigger foods, and he didn't test positive for any food allergies - I used to grill and stir-fry a lot with peanut oil and never thought about it until my son went to camp - no migraines for two weeks - then had one within a day of getting home after eating a big serving of his favorite veggies stir-fried in peanut oil. Bingo!
Lo and behold when I looked it up, it's listed as a
migraine trigger. I now use grapeseed oil for frying and grilling. I've also learned thru experience that using dill in any recipe almost guarantees me a migraine.

There are also some herbal supplements that can trigger migraines in some people, so if you're taking any of them, you might want to try a period without them - ginko biloba, St. John's Wort (hypericum), American ginseng, echinacea, large quantities of garlic, and valerian root are the ones I know of for sure, but there might be others.

Since the feverfew didn't help, you might ask your
doctor about magnesium supplements, Vitamin B2. and
5-HTP - there's some research that indicates they can help reduce the frequency of migraines.

Even with the feverfew, I still get them sometimes but I usually have an aura beforehand - I drink a cup of strong ginger tea right away, and rub a blend of lavender and peppermint oils on my temples - if I'm home I usually put the same mixture into a little aromatherapy diffuser - that and a little time in a darkened room will often ward off the full blown migraine. Sometimes I use a homeopathic remedy called migra-spray that's available in many health food stores. It's not as effective as the prescription meds like Imitrex but I can't use those because of previous strokes.

Saysusie
10-16-2006, 08:16 AM
Hi Marycain :lol:
I tried the Feverfew for two months diligently...suffering from migraines all the while :cry: So, I finally gave up on it.
I just ran to my cupboard to make sure that we had no peanut oil and we do not. We use olive-oil. I am researching it to see if it contributes to migraines.
I do not use any of the herbal supplements that you mentioned...but I do use dill!!! I use it in almost EVERYTHING! I had no idea. I will be eliminating it. I've read so much about how to ward off migraines and so many of them just have not had much of an effect on me. I do know that Lupus Migraines do not respond to regular Migraine treatments, but I do keep trying.
Like you, I use the peppermint oils and lavendar. When I feel the beginnings of a migraine, I drink a cup of black coffee and lie in a cool, quiet dark room in an effort to ward it off. However, there are times when even that does not work and I just have to take the prescription meds. I am sometimes just happy to prevent my migraine from turning into a cluster and I am ecstatic when it does not progress beyond a really bad headache (I can at least function with a headache).
I will ask my doctor about magnesium supplements, Vitamin B2. and
5-HTP. Anything that can help is welcome!!

Thanks So Much Marycain..........
Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

MARYCAIN
10-16-2006, 11:48 AM
Oddly enough, all the herbalists say that dill is supposed to be good for migraine, so I never thought anything about it - I love the taste so I cooked with fresh dill leaves and dill seed a lot, not to mention I adore homemade pickles. I haven't seen it listed as a common migraine trigger, so it may not affect other people the same way - my older sister gets migraines from licorice and it doesn't bother me at all, so I guess everyone with migraine has one weird thing that triggers attacks. I just wish mine had been something like nutmeg that I don't like anyway! I generally use caraway in recipes now where I used to use dill, sometimes fennel or tarragon, depending on what I have on hand.

I do love olive oil in dressings and marinades but prefer grapeseed oil for cooking because it has a neutral flavor and a very high smokepoint, so you can use it for high temperature cooking without setting off the smoke detectors! It's also loaded with antioxidants and very good for your cholesterol levels, so I feel less guilty when the boys just can't live without french fries!

I love using a diffuser for my essential oils - I get all my aromatherapy supplies from a company called AromaTherapeutix in Seal Beach California - they have a really nice selection and great mail order serrvice. They have some wonderful blends - the one called headache stopper contains basil and clary sage in addition to lavendar and peppermint - I use it for my diffuser and put the lavendar/peppermint directly on my skin. They also have an unscented hand and body lotion that feels wonderful on your skin and can be fragranced with any oil of your choice. :)

Saysusie
10-17-2006, 09:53 AM
Marycain;
Thank you for the information about the aromatherapy. I am going to their website today!! Also, I just told my husband about grapeseed oil..thank you for that info. French fries in Olive Oil are just not quite right somehow and I do crave french fries now and then :lol:
I am just starting to keep a log of when my migraines start..I log what I've done that day, what I've eaten, and even how I've felt emotionally. I have had some real eye-openers and am really starting to think that many of my migraines are more linked to my emotions than outside triggers. I have found a few physical triggers, but it is the emotional ones that surprised me the most.
My therapist agrees with me and we are working on some of these issues. In the meantime, I am still doing all that I can to avoid them.

Thanx Again...so very much
Saysusie

atedj
10-17-2006, 08:45 PM
Hello our wonderful moderator!

I'm sorry to hear about your headaches. Lately I've been having trouble with awful headaches twice a day since cutting back on the prednisone. I ran across an article about how you can use banana peels to relieve migraines and other headaches. You lay the fruit side of the peel down on your forehead and another piece on the back of the neck. The potassium in it is supposed to cure the headache. I tried it and it worked for me! The link is:
http://www.healpain.net/articles/banana.html
The article is by a doctor who sells products with silver in it. I bought the biotape with silver he sells and use it on my wrists and fingers and it REALLY cuts back on the pain. You can use the tape anywhere. I just ordered their headache bands and silver gloves and socks, too, so I'm anxious to try that.
I'm not trying to advertise for the company or anything, but I tell you that I haven't been this pain free for a year. I feel wonderful, even while cutting back on the prednisone and stopping my other meds due to pregnancy. I'm just so excited about this stuff, I just had to share!
Angie

Saysusie
10-18-2006, 06:19 PM
Angie;
It is so amazing that you mentioned the article in your post because my husband just came downstairs this afternoon talking about the same thing!!!
So, we've decided to try it the next time that I feel a migraine coming on. My migraines are sometimes preceded by nose bleeds. I wonder if this happens to anyone else??? I feel a funny pop in my head, my nose bleeds and then..wham!! I am in horrible pain.
Also, thank you for the information about the silver. :lol:

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

MARYCAIN
10-18-2006, 08:08 PM
I've used banana peels for years as a quick first-aid for burns, mosquito bites, bee stings, cuts, etc. - with four boys, "ouchies" are pretty common and I always have bananas in the house - the tannic acid acts like a natural antiseptic and antibiotic, but I didn't know they were useful for migraine - I will definitely give this a try.

Saysusie, very rarely I get a nosebleed before the migraine, more often I have visual "strobe light" effects and strange smells, and I'm never sure if it's the precursor of a migraine or a seizure. Sometimes after the migraine ends I notice that blood vessels in my eyes have ruptured, turning the white part of my eye red. I am not sure what causes this because I don't have high blood pressdure. When I was still having menstrual cycles, I invariably had migraines and nosebleeds both during my period, but my doctor always blamed these nosebleeds on endometriosis.

Interestingly, there has been some research on the relationshio between nosebleed (epistaxis) and migraine in children - a study reported in Pediatric Neurology found that 36% of the children studied with migraine had recurring nosebleeds, as opposed to 11% of the children who didn't have migraine. So there's clearly some relationshhip - maybe future medical researchers will find out what it is.