PDA

View Full Version : recently diagnosed - hello everyone

Pegleg52
10-14-2006, 07:12 AM
I was recently (Oct 11, 2006) diagnosed with Lupus and am now searching for information and support groups. For years I thought I was "losng it". I had been told more than once to find professional psychiatric help. So, I did. About a month ago, I almost allowed myself to be put on antidepressants but my gut tugged at me and I pushed for further medical testing to find something physical. I was relieved to know that I could trust my feelings on my physical health and sad to know what it is exactly I was diagnosed with. I also know it isn't hopeless. It took about 7 years and going through three doctors to get to this point. I'm learning a lot and hope to learn more and help. . . not only myself but others. Anyway . . . take care . . . later gators 8)

KayCee31614
10-14-2006, 07:43 AM
How are you doing? I see that you were just dx with Lupus. Do you have SLE? Are you on medication for it? I have had it for years. Well I just wanted to say that you will like this forum. You will get good answers for any questions you may have. Hugs, Kathleen :)

Pegleg52
10-14-2006, 07:59 AM
Thank you, Kathleen!!! I am doing ok . . . just processing everything. No, I am not on any medications at this moment. Unfortunately, I think I have pleurisy (AGAIN) . . . so I think I should take a trip to the urgent care today and get a prescription to help ease that off. Last time I had pleurisy, was a few months ago I was given prednisone (by the urgent care - breathing had gotten so difficult I had to go). They didn't know why I had pleurisy but I was told I also had bronchitis. I didn't go to the ER because my health insurance might not have covered the costs. To get back to the original question you asked . . . . no meds but I will be going to the rheumetologist soon . . .I had to be referred. My doctor here is sending me out of town because she doesn't believe the doctor's in this health system will treat it aggressively enough. And I have SLE (I haven't learned to spell it yet). I've been trying to find information on how long a flare can last. Would you happen to know? Thank you for responding to my post and I have a feeling I am going to like this forum. Take care!

KayCee31614
10-14-2006, 08:29 AM
I just read your post. I have a lot of problems with Pleuresy myself along with congestion. I am wondering when you will be seen by a Rheumatologist. As far as how long a flare will last is a hard question to answer. Sometimes they clear by themselves and sometimes like in your case you are not on medication, it may last until you see the Rheumatologist and get put on medication. Keep in mind though that if the Rheumatologist puts you on Plaquenil he may put you on Prednisone also to help to clear the flare and taper it over a period of several months until the Plaquenil kicks in. Plaquenil usually takes 3 to 6 months to kick in real good. Do you have a lot of congestion? I have problems with Pleuresy and have for many years. The medications work a lot plus I started to take Mucinex DM which is an over the counter cold medicine to help with the congestion so that I can breath better.

Pleuresy is an inflamation of the lining of the lungs and they usually treat that with NSAIDs medications like Naproxin Sodium or Indomethacin. I really don't know what else to tell you other then to ask if you can buy some anti inflamatory medication over the counter until you can get in to see the Rheumatologist. I know I sure would. I guess a lot of the PCP's will not perscribe medication and make you wait to see the Rheumatologist as that is what happened to me. I hope that I have helped you in this post. Hugs, Kathleen

Pegleg52
10-14-2006, 09:09 AM
How are you doing? I see that you were just dx with Lupus. Do you have SLE? Are you on medication for it? I have had it for years. Well I just wanted to say that you will like this forum. You will get good answers for any questions you may have. Hugs, Kathleen :)

I replied but I think I did it wrong . . . and hopefully now I am doing it right . . . you'd think it'd be easy . . . but I have a tendency to complicate the easiest of tasks. :)

Pegleg52
10-14-2006, 09:17 AM
Kathleen,

Yes, I do get a lot of congestion. It's usually really bad in the morning. Thank you for the advice about the NSAIDs . . . I will do that . . . I don't want to fool around with this. Oh . . .and I never told you my name . . . it's Peggy . . .or Peg . . .use either one. (I don't know . . .maybe Pegleg gave it away or you think I am a pirate) I forgot what else I was going to type. Take care and thank you again. I'm going to head out to the store now. Hugs and bugs . . . .Peg