PDA

View Full Version : Ambien

hooversmom
10-12-2006, 05:16 PM
Anyone take Ambien for sleep?? Have been taking trazadone for 3 years but now I wake up at 2 am and can't go back to sleep. Spend multiple hours ruminating cause I can't sleep. Doc wants me to try Ambien. Advice anyone?

MARYCAIN
10-12-2006, 05:47 PM
I tried it a couple of times but decided it wasn't practical for me - it made me sleep so heavily I couldn't wake up at night when I needed to, and with four young children in the house, all of whom are night owls, it just wasn't a good idea. It may not have that effect on other people, but even the half-dose made me too groggy to function for several hours after I took it. I pretty much stick to herbal teas and valerian for sleep - that way I can wake up quickly if I need to. Good thing too - our carbon monoxide detector went off last week when I turned on the gas heat for the first time - if I'd taken a sleeping pill I might have slept right thru it because it's not a loud alarm. If you do try it, I would suggest taking a small dose first until you know how it's going to affect you.

kimb
11-08-2006, 07:28 PM
I take the regular Ambien(not the CR)and I break my caplet into thirds-cause I dont need much. I dont take more than a half. Some others may need the whole pill....My dr. said to try Benedryl, it has the same ingredient as over the counter sleeping pills.
Kim

mnjodette
11-09-2006, 08:27 AM
I've had an Ambien prescription for some time - always have had sleep problems, even before dx. Works pretty well for me, but generally I only get about 6 hours sleep with it. Then I'm wide awake. Every body is different, of course, so it's hard to say how it would work for you.

I'm not sure about taking it long term though, so I try to go without it when I can. You can become dependant on it, even though it's not in the traditional sense of a narcotic medication. I'm thinking of asking rheumy for something else. My Ambien script has actually been coming from my PCP.