PDA

View Full Version : Any other "oldies" out there?

mnjodette
10-08-2006, 07:02 PM
Been dealing with what is apparently Lupus since May. You all know how long it takes for the diagnoses to be 'official', but that's what they're treating me for. I'm sure still learning the ropes here. This forum is so helpful...thank you all. I'm a little the "odd-woman-out" in that I'm 56 years old. Isn't that a little old to develop Lupus? My rheumatologist says I've probably had it for quite a while (Sjogrens; Raynauds too.) Anyone else develop it at an older age, or know anyone who has? Does that make a difference in how the disease progresses? Pericarditis; peripheral neuropathy; joint pain; fatigue like I've never known in my life. Don't know what to expect next.

browneyedgirl53
10-08-2006, 07:12 PM
Hi There,

I was diagnosed when I was 48....and in five years time, I am now with kidney, heart, brain involvement. I've been told that lupus effects everyone differently. I know there are people here who have had lupus for more than 20 years - so if I may be so bold - I would suggest to not try to map out this disease on a timetable. Being a "professional planner" and working in the executive field for so long, this disease has really turned my world upside down. I take one day at a time - and some days, it's an hour at a time. Live every moment with thankfullness and gratitude mixed with patience, endurance, perserverance....and most importantly keep hope and faith in the forefront of your heart.

Saysusie and others on this site have lived years with this disease and they can share their experiences with you. I hope that you will stay connected with these people - they have become a lifeline for me. They are all so encouraging and helpful. I think you will find out for yourself how much these people really care.

So from this girl, I say learn as much about this disease as you possibly can. Ask lots and lots of questions. Take very good care of yourself, stay indoors, mostly - and don't be afraid to LIVE.....LIVE AND LIVE...AND SOAK UP EVERY MOMENT OF LIFE YOU CAN. !!

Much love,
Browneyedgirl

littlered
10-09-2006, 11:32 AM
I'll turn 50 on Halloween. I was diagnosed twenty years ago. Looking back now, I was showing a lot of the symptoms long before I was aware that something was very wrong.
As I've aged, the disease has progressed, but my doctor's on top of it and adjusts my meds accordingly. I also adjust my lifestyle accordingly.
Speaking of birthdays....usually my husband and I get dressed up, go out to dinner, or dress in costume for a party. THIS time I am having a "50 going on 15" sleepover with some girlfriends. (My best friend is doing the planning, bless her)...Everybody in PJ's and slippers, and everybody must bring music that was popular when they were 15. Party snacks will be hot dogs (roasted on coathangers outside) marshmallow treats, popcorn balls, PB and J sandwiches...not gourmet stuff, just stuff we munched on at 15. I may even serve Boone's Farm Strawberry !!!! Yes, y'all are invited if you want to come. You just have to bring your 15 year old self.

cathyj
08-19-2007, 02:33 PM
I was just diagnosed this past April. I don't know about you, but it has me really stressed out. I never saw it coming and it was last thing I would have thought of.

But here we are. I am currently taking Plaquenil and pain meds and just recently my doc put me on Lexapro, low dose...he says it might help me cope a bit better. He said I seemed depressed...no kidding, I've had pain in all my joints for almost 12 months, my hair is falling out and I constantly have a headache. Seriously, I never wanted to do one of those type drugs, but at this point I'll try anything. I sure hope I get to see remission someday!

I hope your symptoms are minor and if you ever need to talk please email me.

Cathy

Pretti in Pink
08-19-2007, 06:36 PM
Hey Cathy and welcome,

We have all been there, regardless to our age, the symptoms seem to strike us the same. Also, many of us never thought we would be on all of these meds, of any kind but we're here and we're going to make it together.

You've joined a great cyber family.

cathyj
08-20-2007, 04:16 AM
This does seem like a great site to get support. Thanks to all!

Razzleberry
08-20-2007, 06:14 AM
I was diagnosed last year at 57. As with so many others I obviously (well with hindsight) had Lupus long before that but no one ever thought about it.

I find I'm not really getting "worse" (at least I hope not) but maybe noticing more symptoms now. I think I'm more in tune to my body and what to look for ...but I must add that just in the past year the old Lupus mask has appeared and always betrays me when I say "I'm fine" and I'm not. Just like pinnocio(can't spell that) ...I get a bright red nose and cheeks everytime something is not quite right health wise which has really worked to my advantage I guess because now my family really does know when I'm not good and they go out of their way to be even more kind and caring.

So I guess there's lots of us just getting the news at 55+. Take care and go take your darn nap!

magistramarla
08-22-2007, 07:29 PM
I'm another 50 year old (my birthday is coming up on Sept. 3), who is just now in the process of being diagnosed. Like the others, I believe that this has been going on for the past 10 years or so.
I'm just dreading what my dear hubby and co-workers are going to do to me on Sept. 3!!
Marla

susan88004
08-23-2007, 12:54 PM
I think that most of us who have been diagnosed can look back and see that we had various symptoms for many years prior to getting the label of Lupus.

I can see now that I had Lupus symptoms when I was 28.

I agree that the key is to enjoy every day, every hour as it comes. I've been in bed pretty much every day for the last week because of debilitating fatigue. Menopause has been kicking my butt. And the hormonal shifts seem to aggravate Lupus.

magistramarla
08-23-2007, 06:27 PM
I agree with you there. I think that I'm just starting to have a few symptoms of menopause beginning, coupled with the symptoms that I've had for several years already, and I feel that I'm being hit with a double-whammy.
Marla