View Full Version : Vaccinations

10-05-2006, 01:12 PM
My son has Discoid Lupus and is scheduled for his 5 year old shots.
I'm scared this will trigger a Lupus flare.
Does anyone have an opinion on this?

10-05-2006, 02:11 PM
If so, you should definitely talk to his treating doctor about whether the vaccinations are safe for him. If may be that that some of the vaccinations need to be postponed. If the doctor determines that the vaccinations are medically unsafe for your son, he can get an exemption or waiver in order to attend school.

If he has not previously had bad reactions from his baby shots, I don't know if the vaccinations in and of themselves would trigger a flare, but you should definitely discuss it with his doctor. If he needs several different vaccines, MMR, DTaP and polio are probably due based on his age, you might talk to his doctor about spacing them out so he doesn't get multiple vaccines on the same day.

10-06-2006, 06:23 AM
Flu season is coming. Once I'm out of flare, I fully intend to get flu shot, even though it seems like it gives me a mini-flu. I'd rather do that than get the real flu! Anybody else?

10-06-2006, 11:26 AM

I hope that you will be able to find some help from your doctor's office - has your family doctor or dermatologist said anything about his getting the flu shot? Marycain has provided you with very good information. Saysusie and others I'm sure, will be by to share their words of wisdom about flu shots and their experiences. I can only speak from my own experience, that I always have to have blood tests done prior to any flu shot I get.

I'm with you littlered, I try to find a break in my lupus activity where I can tolerate whatever comes after the shot. Like you, I would much rather suffer a little now - than be in the hospital later.

I hope you are able to find good advice. Take care -

Much love,