PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone taking Zestril/Lisinopril??

buddhabelly
10-04-2006, 07:45 PM
Hello everyone! I visited my nephrologist last week. He discussed the results of my 24 hr urine test. My creatine levels remained the same, it didnt improve. So my doctor increased my CellCept dose to 1000mg in the AM and 1000mg in the PM. He also added a new medicine for me, Zestril or the generic name, lisinopril. He said it'll help with the protein in my urine. Is anyone else taking Zestril? After reading about it, I learned its mostly used for people with high blood pressure... :?:

browneyedgirl53
10-05-2006, 07:32 PM
Hi Buddhabelly,

So good to see your post today. Last May, I suffered kidney failure and in September a mild heart attack - I was placed on it while in the hospital in September....and just a few months ago went on Lipitor. I am also taking 2grams of Cellcept. I learned the hard way - to take it with food.

How are you feeling? Are you doing okay? Haven't seen your posts lately and I was beginning to worry about you.

It's good to see your post, friend.

Stay in touch, we miss you.

Much love,
Browneyedgirl

MARYCAIN
10-06-2006, 11:36 AM
Zestril belongs to a class of drugs called ACE (angiotensin-converting-enzyme) inhibitors - they block the action of a certain chemical in your body. Most drugs that end in "ril" or "pril" belong to the same group of drugs.

They are prescribed for people with high blood pressure or congestive heart failure to improve cardiac output and lower blood pressure - they are often prescribed for diabetics and people with some types of kidney disease because the drugs lower the intrarenal pressure of the kidneys and help protect them from damage. They also improve proteinuria (protein loss through the kidneys)

Lupus can affect your kidneys in several different ways - one of the more common is called glomerulonephritis, which can lead to a condition called nephrotic syndrome. Nephrotic syndrome is characterised by proteinuria (detectable protein in the urine), and low albumin levels in blood plasma.

Your kidneys contain vessels called glomeruli, which are the parts that normally filter the blood passing through the kidneys. They consist of capillaries that are fenestrated (leaky, due to little holes called fenestrae or windows) and that allow fluid, salts, and other small elements to flow through, but normally not proteins. If the glomeruli become damaged due to diabetes, glomerulonephritis, or even prolonged hypertension (high blood pressure), it can allow small blood proteins, such as albumin, to pass through the kidneys into urine. Some people notice that their urine may become foamy. This condition can also lead to edema and swelling - symptoms can include puffiness around the eyes, especially in the morning; edema over the legs which is pitting (i.e. leaves a little pit when the fluid is pressed out, which resolves over a few seconds); fluid in the pleural cavity causing pleural effusion, and eventually renal failure. The loss of protein through the urine can also trigger liver problems, because the liver has to work harder to produce certain forms of protein, and cardiac problems because of fluid overload and high blood pressure.

ACE inhibitors can cause a dry hacking cough in some people, so be sure and let your doctor know if this is a problem. They can also affect your potassium levels, so talk to your doctor before using salt substitutes.

Zestril is in pregnancy category D, so you should not get pregnant while taking this medicine.

Hope this helps!

buddhabelly
10-06-2006, 06:23 PM
Thanks MaryCain for that info. I now know the purpose of the medication when used for kidney problems. Hope the Zestril will help me out. :D

MARYCAIN
10-06-2006, 06:43 PM
It's one of those things that's hard to explain in plain English - you would think doctors would explain these meds a little better before they prescribe them, but it rarely seems to work that way. Glad the explanation helped a little.