PDA

View Full Version : Is the world going crazy?

MARYCAIN
10-02-2006, 01:39 PM
I've just been watching the news about the school massacre in PA, right on top of the school shootings in Wisconsin and Colorado - it's enough to terrify anyone with kids. My heart bleeds for those children and their parents, and the children of the shooter, who will have to live with that burden for the rest of their lives. If kids aren't safe in an Amish school among some of the gentlest people in the world - no internet predators, no drugs, no gangs - if evil can reach out and get our children there, then there truly is no safe place to raise a child these days. I talk to my boys about smoking and alcohol and drugs - how in the world do you talk to them about something like this?

littlered
10-02-2006, 01:53 PM
As to how to talk to them about this...there's no way to "explain" it...no doubt, life in our society is getting more and more dangerous.
From a teacher's perspective...explain that dangerous situations can happen ANYwhere, and it is not their job to worry. It is the grownup's job to keep them safe. If anything should ever happen at their school, we teachers are trained to lock down the classroom, turn off the lights, get the kids down on the floor and keep them calm and quiet until it's all clear.
This actually happened at my school on 9/11. I was teaching 4th graders then, and I got a tap on my door and told, "Lockdown." So I followed instructions. I then spent the next two hours crawling from child to child, comforting, whispering, drying tears, passing out crayons and paper...and I was scared to death because I had NO idea what was going on. I just knew I had a job to do. Tell your children to do what they are instructed to do, that the grownups will do all they can to keep them safe. And pray.
Last week my husband almost got shot in his school parking lot. He made a 20 year old leave the campus because he wanted to pick up his 16 year old girlfriend and take her off campus. The guy cursed, tried to shove my husband and turned the secretary's desk over on his way out the door. Security was in another part of the building, so my husband followed him out the door to make sure he didn't enter into another door; meanwhile he was yelling for security on his walkie=talkie. The guy yelled, "You won't be so strong in a minute" and went to his car, pulling something out. The security had arrived, and they shot the guy in the shoulder. He had a gun. This does NOT happen every day, or even every week, but it sure put a scare in my husband and in ME!
Sorry to be babbling (it's the solumedrol) but there are thousands of schools where this doesn't happen and never will. If you are concerned, talk to your child's school personnel about security procedures, so you can be informed..and go OVER those procedures, as need be, with your kids. When people don't plan, they freeze when something happens. When they plan, they revert to training. Hope this helps.

MARYCAIN
10-02-2006, 04:37 PM
I know all the things that can go wrong, it's part of the reason I left the profession. A close friend of mine, an English teacher named Deanna McDavid, was gunned down in front of her students by a 17 year old - the same kid also shot the school custodian; three kids killed in Paducah and another paralyzed, another teacher friend in Greensburg had to watch helplessly while one of her students bled to death on a school parking lot - he was stabbed by a gang member at a rival school. During the years I spent teaching, a student spat in my face, a parent threatened me because I gave his son a bad grade that affected his eligibility for sports, a very aggressive immigrant student who was beating up a smaller child turned on me when I tried to intervene, only some quick action by other students who were on the football team saved me from serious injury. Just last year, my sister in law, a kindergarten teacher, was slashed when she took a knife away from a five year old! She too has now decided to leave teaching in order to home school her children. In our county alone last year, six kids were suspended for bringing weapons to school. This is a rural area where many kids learn to shoot almost before they learn to ride a bike and most pickup trucks come equipped with weapon brackets. All guns and ammo in our house are locked up in separate cases to which only the adults have the combination, and the handguns also have trigger locks which are a different combination, but a lot of parents aren't that careful, and our school has no metal detectors or even a security guard. The high school was damaged in a tornado last year so some classes are held in the gym or modular trailers cut off from the main building; they don't even have a PA system. Standard lockdown procedures just aren't feasible in an open area like a gym.

Sorry, didn't mean to go into a rant here, it's just I've been pushing our local PTO to raise money for metal detectors instead of new band uniforms and am getting nowhere. Guns and hunting are such a part of the culture here - "plinking" is an accepted Saturday activity and people just don't see guns as a potential threat.

ButterflyRN
10-03-2006, 04:03 AM
It's so sad what things have come to :cry:

stardust
10-04-2006, 10:18 AM
IT'S scary too.

littlered
10-05-2006, 11:11 AM
You are wonderful in pushing for metal detectors. they are in all schools in Houston. Yes they are expensive, but well worth it. And necessary, as practically anyone can enter a school under the guise of a parent or maintenance person.
It's dangerous...and SCARY...but the safety of our precious children means we've got to do what's necessary to keep them safe. Students themselves have become more violent. I think a big part of the problem is how graphic the media has become...not just the news, but MTV, movies, and everynight TV. Also, the culture has become "believe the child, no matter what." Let me tell you, there are parents out there who think that if there's a conflict between teacher and child, it MUST be the teacher's fault. I once had a meeting with a "parent" who, after her child had cursed me out in the classroom because I told him he couldn't run around and not be in his seat, said, "Well, he just doesn't like to be told NO." :mad:
At the same time, most of these kids are raising themselves...or being raised by near children. I'm not that old, but I've had so many parents who were younger than my own children!
Our family and childraising society needs a new revolution...back to older times, when children learned discipline AT HOME, when they were taught to respect authority, and when going to school was considered a PRIVILEGE.

KayCee31614
10-11-2006, 02:46 PM
It is shocking the things that are happening in the schools. I can't understand why. I know I am almost 48 years old, but we never had school shootings and stabbings like they have now. It is unreal. I am so glad that my children are grown now, but I worry about if they have children in the future, what will their children be facing? It is heartbreaking to be sure. I just do not know what to make of it. I guess it is the sign of the times, a world gone mad. :cry:

Kathleen