PDA

View Full Version : How does the sun make you feel? I'm still new and learning

Milagro
10-02-2006, 05:36 AM
I was out in the sun for about 45 minutes yesterday and then last night I got sick.... fever, sweats, chills, nausea, headache, and extreme joint pain. Did the sun cause this?

littlered
10-02-2006, 06:11 AM
While I can't say ABSOLUTELY it caused it, if I had money to bet, I'd bet it. Sun (and stress) are the WORST things for lupus, and can indeed cause a flare. This disease makes us very photosensitive...too bad it doesn't make us photoGENIC! (My face is beginning to look like Jay Leno's because of all the bloating, lol)
Always, always use sunscreen, and wear a hat. I avoid the sun entirely.

MARYCAIN
10-02-2006, 06:48 AM
Doctors still don't know exactly why, but most lupus patients are very sensitive to UV light, being out in the sun, or even indoors under florescent lights can make us sick and trigger a lupus flare. That's why it's very important to avoid exposure - you should invest in a good quality sunscreen with the highest SPF you can find, and use it religiously. staying indoors when the sun is intense, and wearing sunscreen and a sun-protective hat to protect your scalp are also important. The light in some stores also make me really sick - this is just something we have to be really careful about, and learn which things to avoid. Remember that glass doesn't block the light, so sitting next to a window, or being in a car is just like being outdoors.

This is a hard adjustment for many people to make, especially if you love the outdoors, but it is a part of living with lupus. You can still enjoy outdoor activities, but you have to be much more careful about UV exposure than most people.

Moxie
10-02-2006, 06:49 AM
I have always loved the sun. This summer the itching began. I now have white polka dots on my arms. My doc said this is caused by "the rash," which took my pigment away. It appears we are all affected by the sun in different ways.

cnlb2005
10-06-2006, 04:24 PM
i been living(suffering) form lupus since 1994(12yrs now). seems like for the first 6-7yrs the sun or extreme heat made me sick and the cold worked better. but in the last 3-4yrs i've notice that the sun actually perks me up and the cold makes me weak. i figured out that the humidity was what was causing the flare not the direct sun. when i sit in the sun my arms and legs actually start tingling, a good tingling.

hatlady
10-07-2006, 11:41 AM
Oh! It would be nice to have a "good tingling" in the sun again!

If my skin is directly exposed to the sun for more than a few minutes I feel all creepy crawly on the exposed areas. I'll forget every so often and wear hose and a skirt on a sunny day - of course that WOULD be the day I end up walking all over the place outside. My legs are weak and feel like crap when I get home!

I stay covered, good sunscreen and my ever present hat. Indoors, I haven't noticed too much trouble with flourescent lights, but do try to avaoid long stretches with them.

I haven't gone into a full flare from the sun, but yes, it does affect me.

dakotaheaven
10-07-2006, 02:50 PM
That reminds me of a time I forgot sunscreen.

I got a sunburn on my back.......the next day I woke up like normal, back itched a bit, by 9am I wanted to die. My back felt like I had a million fire ants bitting me. It was so bad that I had to go home, called the doc he called me in a script of something. I tried to take a shower, it helped with the cold water on it but as soon as I got out it started again full force. I has a percacet left over from when I had my wisdom teeth removed, took that and laid on the floor with a cold towel on my back untill I passed out. (percacet puts me right to sleep)

That was the worst thing I ever felt, almost like being on the show Fear Factor, but I couldn't get out of the box of fire ants.

That has happend one other time since then....I have learned my lesson. If I have to be in the sun, sunscreen all the way.

And I live in Florida, that's alot of sunscreen.

Laura07
10-09-2006, 07:03 AM
Everytime I am in the sun for an extended period of time, I pay for it the next 2-3 days. I just feel extremely fatigued and yucky. This can happen even being outside for 30 minutes or more. :(

KayCee31614
10-11-2006, 01:59 AM
Hi. My name is Kathleen. I have been dx with SLE since I was 36, but have had symptoms all of my life. I am very sensitive to the sun. I went to a family cookout shortly before being diagnosed. There were nice shade trees in the backyard. I went out there and was sitting in a chair when I got acutely sick and passed out. I get very severe headaches from the sun. I get a blistery rash on my hands and feet on the fingers and toes, palms of the hands and bottems of the feet too. The sun makes my skin feel like it is on fire. It is unreal. I sunburn through the car windows. I am also sensitive to flourescent lighting in much the same way. I try to avoid the sun as much as possible. Well I don't know what else to say other then the sun truly is my enemy big time. Hugs, Kathleen