PDA

View Full Version : What is going on here?

beautifulbeluga
10-01-2006, 02:38 PM
[/b]Do you ever have a day or a time in your life that everything just seems to go wrong?

Well that seems to be happening to me.

1. I woke up this morning with a phone call from my daughter (who by the way has been a little miffed with me because I agreed with her over a cup of hot tea one day that her hubby was a lazy so & so and needed to take more responsibility, but that another story),that my 17 year old grandson had left in the night with a note saying I'm leaving don't call me I'll call you. Well, he's a good boy and I know he will be safe so maybe not finishing the last 3 credits in high school isn't the end of the world right now. I calm her down and go about my day, concerned but not overly upset.

2. I realize upon hanging up the phone that my throat hurts really bad and my chest is congested. My husband has had this for over a week now and I have been desperately trying not to catch this (whatever it is) because I am supposed to be having surgery for a knee replacement now in 4 days. But my history is that if anyone is sick within a ten mile radius I get it!!! Know anyone else like that?

3. Am now on day 4 of prednisone because of flare-up with pericarditis, joints, and over inflammation and yesterday was just beginning to feel better. Now what?

4. I read the posts yesterday and decided to make the pumpkin soup recipe posted and so began to prepare the pumpkin, cut myself two times. I remember now why I hate to use pumpkin, that darn hard skin. Anyway, thanks for the recipe as the soup was terrific.

5. I thought, OK if I don't have to cancel surgery because of this throat and chest maybe I should clean all the fish tanks so I won't have to worry about it before I go to the hospital. Dropped the dirty lid from the 40 gal tank and cut my leg (deeply) in three places and bleed all over my new sneakers. Do I need to worry about infection or get a tetanus shot?

6. Last by not least my husband was out in the yard working and we do not have a fenced yard. He let our beautiful baby girl out (4 year old doxie) and didn't put her on the chain. She is gone.........Five hours have passed and she has not returned. He's devastated, I'm devastated and yes upset with him because the last words out of my mouth were "Put the dog on the chain"., his response no "she'll be fine I'll watch her". He has a habit of doing that and I am always trying to get him to realize the risks involved for all, especially the dog. Please, please, please Kira come home.

That's it.

The sad - soon-to-be-bionic????beautifulbeluga

hatlady
10-01-2006, 03:00 PM
What a time you've had! {{beautifulbeluga}}

MARYCAIN
10-01-2006, 03:01 PM
I'm hoping you find your dog quickly and she is okay - I worry as much about my four-footed babies as my two-footed ones. It may be silly to other people, but's just the way it is.

Did you clean the cuts out well and bandage them? Hopefully that will reduce the risk of infection. As for tetanus, how long since you've had a booster? If you don't remember, you probably need one.

I would probably call the doctor tomorrow and let them know you are feeling icky - if you need to postpone your surgery, better to know now than day of surgery. Hopefully this is nothing that would affect your chances of surgery, but you don't want to take chances, especially if you've got a fever.

I have a poster over my desk that says - I try to take life one day at a time, but lately several days have attacked me at once. Sound familiar?

you will be in my thoughts and prayers today.

beautifulbeluga
10-01-2006, 03:23 PM
Thanks Marycain for the response. I did have a booster about 3 years ago when I got bit by a stray cat. How long are they good for? I did wash the wounds just kind of blotted them with water and soft tissue and put some antibiotic ointment on them and then a band-aide. I will clean them again tonight and redo the dressing.

Kira, still isn't home yet and no calls from anyone in the area. The humane society office is closed for the day so we will have to wait until tomorrow to call. Gregory, my husband has been driving the neighborhood pretty much all day now. I think some kid has picked her up for their own. She has never been without us for her entire life and she must be terrified.

MARYCAIN
10-01-2006, 03:39 PM
The booster is supposed to be good for 10 years, so you should be okay there.

Have you called the vets in your area to see if someone might have brought Kira there? If someone picked her up and the Humane Society was closed, they might have taken her to a vet clinic. Also, does your Humane Society have the pens or cages out front where people can leave animals? If they do, it might be worth driving by to see if she's there, assuming it's anywhere close to you.

Even indoor animals have amazing survival instincts - I had a much loved kitty who went missing and showed up ten days later when I had lost all hope - to this day I don't know where she had been all that time.

browneyedgirl53
10-01-2006, 09:02 PM
Oh Beautifulbeluga - your post made me cry !!!

I wish I could reach through this screen and give you a big hug....ever two hugs!!! What a @#$%!! day you had. You've had so much stress come upon you all at once; plus you're not feeling good.

Having worked in the OR (operating room) - you really do need to call your M.D. and let him know about your sore throat - Marycain is right, you might want to see if you can get in to see your family M.D. about that cut.....I was to go into surgery last year - I fell on our glass coffee table and cut my forehead wide open, and apparently I was running a fever and on antibiotics. My surgeon cancelled my surgery for two weeks later.

I have a beautiful Australian Shepherd "Tucker", and if he were ever to get loose - I would be devestated. I'm sure your husband feels awful, guilty and I bet he will never leave your dog unleased again. Oh, I do hope that you find "Kira".....keep calling the shelter, maybe put posts up around the neighborhood.

Thanks for sharing with us - you will be in my prayers.

Much love,
Browneyedgirl

ButterflyRN
10-02-2006, 03:11 AM
Oh beautifulbeluga I'm sorry about your day yesterday! I'll keep your puppy in my prayers. I'll pray to St. Francis who is the patron saint of animals. I agree that you should let your surgeon know about your sore throat. As for your tetnus shot marycain is right about them being good for 10 years. I think I'm due though :roll:
Well I hope you have a much better day today !

~Butterefly :multi:

psalm 56 3
10-02-2006, 05:24 AM
I am so sorry to hear about your dog. I pray you have her home with you right now! I cannot tell you how many times I have gotten upset with my husband for the very same thing. He thinks I am overly concerned, I just believe in an ounce of prevention. My puppy disappeared a few weeks ago because he left her out to do her business on her own. We were both frantic when we learned she was gone. Luckily for my husband she went under the fence and was on the front porch. I have since purchased a dog tag that lists all our information if she were to escape again. Please let us know that you are okay and you have your baby back with you.

littlered
10-02-2006, 06:22 AM
I am so sorry that you had a day from h-ll yesterday. Yes, post signs around the neighborhood. Offer a small reward if you can. I love my 3 dogs like they are my kids...they are my only constant company, and they love me unconditionally and make me laugh all the time.
we have implanted microchips in our dogs so that if they're ever lost we can find them. We had to drive to Austin to get it done, because they were having a Pedigree festival and doing it for FREE!
Once, when I was chopping veggies for a soup, I almost cut the end of my thumb off! We were broke and had no insurance, so I just doused it with alcohol (WHOA now THAT will wake you up in the morning :shock: ) and wrapped it up. I talked to a nurse friend who said to wash it each day in salt water (not alcohol, which impedes healing) and to keep it uncovered, as cuts needs air to stay dry and heal.
It healed perfectly, except for a little scar on my thumb and a little bit of numbness on the very tip. Scary!
Having said that, I wonder if it was a full moon or something this weekend. So many things going wrong. I'm sending you tons of hugs, girl.

beautifulbeluga
10-02-2006, 10:26 AM
Thank you very much to all who responded and here is an update, but I wish it could have been more positive.

1. My beautiful Kira is still missing. Thanks for all the suggestions and I have acted on them all. We now believe quite strongly that his disappearance out of the yard was a "dog napping", and we will continue to cover all our basis. Gregory and I had a sleepless night and continue to hope and pray for her safe return.

2. My sore throat and congested chest is still with me today.

3. The gash x 3 on my leg looks a little infected today and dressing was soaked over the night. Cleaned and treated again today.

4. Called the surgeons office today regarding my health, sore throat, congested chest, elevated CRP level and now injured leg with possible infection (luckily this is the right leg not supposed to have surgery on that knee until Oct 12). Clinic closed so had to leave a voice mail regarding situation so will not know until tomorrow if Friday's surgery Oct 6 will be postponed.

5. Still have not located my grandson.

Really, appreciate all the support gals & guys and am sure some of the prayers will be answered soon. I just hope it's the answer I want.

littlered
10-02-2006, 10:29 AM
I called my mom about you (hope you don't mind)--now not only am I praying for you but she is, too...and God wouldn't *dare* ignore HER prayers....love to you

stardust
10-02-2006, 10:37 AM
I am saying LOTS of special prayers for you and your puppy too.

love, stardust

MARYCAIN
10-02-2006, 11:08 AM
Okay, I'm not sure I should even ask, but is there any chance your grandson could have the dog? 17 year old boys are strange creatures at best, if he is close to the dog, could he have wanted it for company? Since they both went missing around the same time, it seems possible they could be together.

If you believe the dog has been stolen, you should file a police report. The police may be reluctant to do this, but you should insist. The police may know if there are any bunchers (people who gather stray animals for sale) operating in your area.

Will your local radio or tv stations let you make an announcement on their community affairs type channel? The more people you let know about your dog, the better your chances of finding her. Don't underestimate even a small dog's ability to get several miles from home - I would post flyers for at least a 5 mile radius, especially at any neighborhood schools where kids can see it.

I hesitate to bring this up, but you should also contact your local sanitation department or road department, whatever agency is responsible for the roads in your area, just to make sure she was not hit by a car, and picked up before you saw her. I know this is a worst case scenario, but it is better to make sure of this just in case.

My brother in law is a vet - he suggested getting several articles of clothing, blankets, whatever, with your or your husband's scent, and putting them outside around your house and property line, so maybe your dog will be drawn to the scent. He also suggested that if she is a small dog, to search your neighborhood thoroughly for culverts, storm drains, holes, or any where she might have gone exploring and gotten stuck.

Keep checking the shelters and vet clinics in case she is brought in. We will keep praying, for you, Kira, and your grandson.

beautifulbeluga
10-02-2006, 11:57 AM
Oh God Marycain: I don't even want to think of Kira as some-one's entree. The police won't take reports on missing animals but the city does have such an Animal Services Branch and we have been there 2 times today already.

We called everyplace and resistered her missing. We have posted fliers over the neighborhood and at all the local schools. All the vets have been notified. We don't really have a radio station that reports missing animals that I am aware of because there are so many stations available so no I didn't call. We even talked to the postwoman who delivers our mail and she knows Kira very well and knows her bark. She has a large delivery area so she remarked that she would call us immediately if she sees her or hears her. Many of our neighbors have personally been alerted and some are out scouring the neighborhood on their bikes. And, yes I did call the dead animal line and she has not been reported or picked up. Neither at the Humane Society or the Animal Bureau.

I think everything that can be done right now has been, and no there is absolutely no chance that Eric my grandson is with the dog.

psalm 56 3
10-02-2006, 12:11 PM
I am so sorry to hear your baby has not yet returned to you. I am praying for you and your entire family. Just know you are not alone in this, we are all here for you.

MARYCAIN
10-02-2006, 12:34 PM
No, no such thought should even cross your mind - the people who kidnap dogs generally intend to sell them as purebreds - which is awful enough but definitely not what you were thinking. If she was taken from your yard, chances are it's somebody who just saw the opportunity to get a pet who will hopefully think better of it and return her.

It sound like you have done everything possible, now the really hard part is waiting. I know it's stupid to tell you not to worry, there's no way you can not worry, but please let your husband and family do most of the physical work like hunting for the dog while you stay off your leg and let it heal. Ask your doctor for a tranquilizer or sedative so you can rest _ I know you are worrying yourself sick, but you have to take care of yourself as much as you can.

Prayers continuing for you and Kira.

stardust
10-02-2006, 01:25 PM
IT IS going to be a full moon this Sat. 7th.

Saysusie
10-02-2006, 01:47 PM
Beautifulbeluga;
I am so sorry to hear about your dog. I'm not sure if you mentioned that she had an ID collar/tag. I know that we once saw a dog roaming our neighborhood who was obviously a loved pet. She had an ID tag, but it was old and we could not make out the telephone number. So, we took the dog in and cared for her. We placed posters around our neighborhood stating that we had found the dog. The dog stayed with us for almost two months before her family finally showed up and said that a friend of a friend of a friend saw our posters and had contacted them. The dog was almost 50 miles from home, that is why the family never saw our posters. How she got that far away from her home, no one knows.They (and we) were so happy to be reunited and so grateful to us for taking care of their dog.
I say all of this to say that, it might just be that someone kind has found your precious pet and is caring for her until you find her. Broaden your search and place posters further away from home.
Now to my big concern. Being a retired Probation Officer, I am very concerned about your 17 year old grandson. He is still a minor and has been gone for over 48 hours. Even if he left on his own, I would still suggest that you contact the authorities and report him as a runaway. He is still the legal responsibility of his parents and, therefore, cannot be let go that easily. I assume that he has not been legally emancipated and therefore is still considered a dependent minor. Also, this is still a very cruel world (regardless of how good a person he is - he is out there in this world alone). He is still a child and still needs to be protected.
Should something happen to him, his parents could be held responsible and charged with "Failure to Protect" if they do not report him as a runaway or as missing. Unfortunately, humans do not have as keen survival instincts as do animals. I am sorry to say that I am praying more for his safety and his safe return than for your precious pet. I do not mean to offend you, but my heart is so filled with hopes of his safety and well being. Having lost a child, I do not want any one else on this earth to ever have to face that possiblity. Please do all that you can to locate your grandson to ensure that he is safe.
Forgive me if I've upset you...
Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

beautifulbeluga
10-02-2006, 02:17 PM
Thanks again to everyone:

To Saysusie: You are right, of course about grandson even though he is 17. I have emailed him and I am hoping he answers where he is. He doesnt have many places to go and his mom still hasn't heard from him. We are coming up to 48 hours now and will put in a MPR of course. I suspect he is at a friends or other grandmothers but she is not returning calls. His father lives in another city in Canada and I suspect he may be planning on going there. The problem is there has always been a rift between the two divorced parents and he or his family would not tell us if he was there or if he contacted them. You are right, this is very concerning, perhaps I have been overly optimistic thinking he is OK and just staying away. His 13 year old sister thought she heard him talking to his other grandmother the night he left. This has been why I haven't been worrying especially knowing the family dynamic. No one is at my daughter's is answering the phone today so I haven't been able to get an update.

To Marycain: When you said "dog bunchers", I mistook it for "butchers" in my flustered state. Sorry, that's why my weird response. I do think she was taken though as she never really goes past the yard even if she does get out. My husband was working at the side of the house the whole time she was outside and Kira would never leave him. Secondly, she did have on her harness and tags, rabies and city licence, as well she has a tattoo in her ear. Any responsible adult who found her if lost would have called any of the id numbers which can be easily traced with only a phone call.

I think you are on the money about theft for profit. That is the most likely prospect at this time (and probably the one that would least assure us her return).

To all the others who have answered these frantic posts of mine. Thank you all especially for the prayers, and hopes of a safe return.

Beautifulbeluga

littlered
10-02-2006, 03:11 PM
If your baby dosn't return...(and I am PRAYING he does)
My hubby and I have bull terriers on the way. (they are like the Target dog) Our Novio (spanish for "boyfriend" because he looks at us like "I looooove you!" is going to be a father, and Marisol is the mama. They are both Black, white and tan. Kind of marked like collies are. Beautiful, symmetrical markings on both. GREAT temperaments. These are NOT pit bulls...they are sweet, and goofy, and funny, and stubborn, but smart.
I am willing to offer you your pick of the litter. They are due in another month. (My hubby will KILL me for this...lol, not really...but if you do an internet search you know what they cost.) They will be AKC registered, and I will offer a health guarantee.
I know a new pet can NEVER replace what you lose. But with time there is always room for another one to love. These babies will be gorgeous and lovable. If you want more info, please PM me.
I am praying for your puppy's safe return.
with love,

Saysusie
10-03-2006, 11:20 AM
Beautifulbeluga;
I did not sleep well with concerns for your grandson. I feel so much better knowing that there is a possibility that he is with family. So, here is the Probation Officer in me again: If he is with family, they could be facing charges if they do not let authorities know that he is there because he is a minor. If you feel that he might be with some of these family members, make sure that YOU provide their addresses and phone numbers to the authorities when you report him as a runaway or missing. Make sure that you keep a record of your attempts to contact these family members and any messages that you have left. It is not in their best interest to keep his whereabouts secret from his custodial parent! There are so many legal issues involved due to the fact that he is a minor! I will keep both you and your grandson in my prayers!

Do not give up hope on finding Kira...we are all praying for her safe return!

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

stardust
10-03-2006, 11:39 AM
Were you able to see the dr. about your throat and cut?????

stardust

beautifulbeluga
10-03-2006, 12:01 PM
Hi All Just wanted to update you and again thank you for all the posts.

Littlered: That is so nice of you to offer one of your unborn puppies, your kindness brought tears to my eyes. Today is Tuesday afternoon and Kira is still not home, and my husband is presently visiting every vet clinic in our city (and there are many) handing out pictures, reistration #'s etc. Kira has a bad back and sooner or later will show up somewhere if she is mishandled or jumps too much. We have done all we can and now we wait and pray. You all have been so supportive, encouraging etc. but also have our neighbors, friends, postdelivery woman etc. It's warms my heart to know that there are people in this world who are so kind and caring. We are so blessed.

Saysusie: Your post hit me right between the eyes yesterday and I thank you for it. I have been so wraped up with my health, surgery, the dog etc. I put my thoughts about my grandson on the back burner because I took what my daughter had said about going to his other grandmothers at face value. I was already trying to contact her and him before your post but after I read it I really sprang into action.

This is what happened. Eric was not at his grandmothers. No one had even heard from him. He wasen't anywhere to be found and no one knew anything. What a panic, you were right to be concerned. My search for my grandson took up my day and most of the night. I called, emailed and visited so many people from Winnipeg to Toronto to Kentucky. Police stations, bus depots, public libraries. Finally, tracked him down from a contact number and email account from a girl in Kentucky who he had contacted by email that morning. All the pieces were finally put together by about 11:00 p.m. last night and he called me from a stranger's house he had met while sleeping on a bench. I am glad to report we picked him up immediately and he is safe with us now. Thank you for the wake up call. Who knows what may have happened.

Lastly, my surgeons office just called a few minutes ago and they decided to postpone my surgery for a week. Surgeon didn's want to take any risks between the cut leg, the sore throat and the elevated CRP level.. I have to go tomorrow to the office and get my CRP & my SED redone immediately. He now plans on doing my left leg on October 12 and my right six days later if my CRP level normalizes after this bout of prednisone.

Thanks for all those who are helping me try to board this "rocking canoe".

Keeping the faith.................beautifulbeluga

MARYCAIN
10-03-2006, 12:28 PM
If he were living in the United States, there might be a legal issue of custodial interference for concealing his whereabouts from the parent with legal guardianship - unfortunately this doesn't really apply in Canada. Divorce and child custody laws are much different in Canada than those in the U,S. - in Canada there are issues of federal law (the Divorce Act) and provincial and territorial laws and jurisdiction. Unlike the United States where state law governs custody issues and federal statutes only apply where a child is taken across state lines, in Canada divorce and custody issues come under federal law. The Canadian laws regarding child abduction and unlawful interference with custody generally apply only to children under sixteen, or in some instances, fourteen. Since your grandson is seventeen, I suspect there is little the authorities can or will do since he apparently left of his own free will. I wish I could be more optimistic here. You will probably have more success going through a private social agency such as childfind canada, or posting information on a teen runaway registry. Since he packed a suitcase, it sounds like he had a specific goal in mind. I know it is incredibly fustrating and scary just to wait and hope, but sometimes it's all you can do.

MARYCAIN
10-03-2006, 12:37 PM
Guess I was typing while you were posting - so glad he is back home safely. Will continue to pray for you and Kira!

Saysusie
10-04-2006, 12:16 PM
I am SO HAPPY that Eric is with you and that he is safe. I am happy that you put the wheels into motion and located him, especially after reading MaryCain's post about Canadian laws. I don't know why I assumed that all laws regarding minors were the same :oops: duh?

Now that he is home, it might be helpful to offer him counseling in order to address the issues that caused him to leave home. Seventeen is such a tumultuous age and, though they think that they are men, they are really emotional children trying to cope. We need to help them as much as we can while at the same time, respecting their need to be autonomous. It is a very fine line!

Now that those stressors are a bit more resolved, perhaps you can now concentrate on your health and your upcoming surgeries. We are all here for you and want to help you through all of these current trials and tribulations.
I am still praying for the safe return of Kira!

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

littlered
10-05-2006, 11:01 AM
PRAISE GOD FROM WHO ALL BLESSINGS FLOW!
Your grandson is back and safe and sound. That is one prayer answered. I called my mom, who was also praying. Like I said, when she prays, HE LISTENS!
Still praying for YOU and for Kira. As I am for the dozens of wonderful people here. Love to all of you--

beautifulbeluga
10-05-2006, 11:49 AM
Thanks to your mom and you Littlered for your prayers and to everyone else who has sent up prayers on our behalf and given messages of hope. We are very thankful Eric has been found and is safe. He was my first born grand-child and has always had a special place in my heart because of that. His mother has had her own struggles and this is her third husband. Not an easy adjustment for Eric and at times he has gotten a bit lost in the shuffle. This is the third time he has come to live with my husband and myself and our place has always been his "safe harbour". This time he will not be returning to the parental home. He knows that whatever decision he makes in life about his future his grandfather and I will always be her to love and support him.

stardust
10-05-2006, 02:10 PM
You are still VERY close to my heart and I am still praying for you, your puppy, and your upcoming surgery.

Sometimes, things really BOMBARD us all at once !!!!!
I AM glad that they postponed your surgery, sounds as if your Dr.s have your best interedt at hand.

KEEP KEEP updating us.

love,
stardust