PDA

View Full Version : Help Bad Flare feel stupid

hooversmom
09-30-2006, 04:39 PM
Hi, I feel very stupid complaining but I am 5+fatigued and my back is killing me. I have taken Lodine and my tramadol in addition to my plaquenil and prednisone and feel absolutely miserable. Can't sleep, can't get comfortable, and am starting to feel really anxious. Family doesn't get it. What do you do when your at this point? Call your rheumy, ask for narcotics, ask to get hit in the head so you can get knocked out so you can maybe sleep so when you awaken you can cope with your 7 and 9 year old? Please help me I really need a hug!

MARYCAIN
09-30-2006, 05:21 PM
I have four boys under the age of 11, believe me I understand. My oldest are twins and very self-sufficient but the younger two still want lots of attention and cuddling.

Is the back pain something you've had before, or something different? There are problems like pleurisy which are common in lupus - in many people it causes chest pain, but sometimes back pain instead. There are so many different things that can cause severe back pain - it's really something you need to contact your doctor about, to rule out anything serious like pancreatitis.

It can take a long time for plaquenil to kick in. so if you just started taking it, it will probably be a couple of months or longer before you see benefits. If you have taken your full dose of pain meds and still haven't gotten any relief from the back pain, it's probably time to call the doctor. In the meantime, you might try using cold packs where the pain is most severe - if you don't have a cold pack a package of frozen vegetables also works - wrap anything cold in a towel or cloth so it doesn't touch your skin directly.
If the pain is mainly muscular, a heating pad or hot shower may help, also having someone massage your back. If the back pain is something new and you don't know what's causing it, you should probably stay away from heat - it could make things worse. Ice is usually safe for most conditions.

I know you may be reluctant to call your doctor on a weekend, but remember, that's what they get paid for.

I hope you are able to get some sleep - with two boys, you definitely need the rest!