PDA

View Full Version : Fall

kheppner
09-29-2006, 01:55 PM
I know for most people with lupus the weather change is not a good thing. But i know there are a few of you out there like myself who love the change and it makes it easier to do things. Seeing as your not melting anymore. I have done more in the few weeks then I did ALL summer, just because I could be outside for longer than 20 mintues or I would feel about dead. Can't wait for the leave to change color and getting to go to the pumkin patch! with the girls of course, they are going to really enjoy themselves. Anyway I just wanted to share all the fall goodness with everyone else. Hope the mood catches.

Saysusie
09-29-2006, 02:44 PM
Having lived with Lupus for over 20yrs..I have come to love overcast and rainy days. You know, those days just before the weather turns cold. It is a bit cool...no sun...no excrutiating heat. These are the days when I feel my best and can get so much more done. I love to put on my hat and my coat and go out in the rain to do my chores and run my errands.
So, being a Lupie...I live for the fall and the winter!!

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

MARYCAIN
09-29-2006, 05:34 PM
I love fall, apples and pumpkins and gourds are "a few of my favorite things" - and it's one of the few times of year I can enjoy outdoor activities with my kids. I just wish it lasted longer, once the cold weather starts, it triggers my asthma and my reynauds, so it's back to indoor living again.

The boys love making popcorn balls in the fall - it turns the kitchen into a sticky mess, but they have so much fun, it's worth it. They also love to go to the local orchard and get fresh apple cider slushies and cider doughnuts. The orchard is huge -they have a corn maze and hay bale fortress for the kids to play in, plus lots of goats, sheep, puppies, kittens and a couple of alpacas - with four boys, it's a lot cheaper than amusement parks! We get some small pumpkins for carving and save the seeds for roasting. Yum!

littlered
09-30-2006, 07:58 AM
Ever made pumpkin soup?? Ohhh, it's wonderful. And a great source of Vitamin A!

Cut the pumpkin into chunks and peel the skin. Toss in a small amount of olive oil and roast in a 375 degree oven til tender. Puree in a blender or in food processor. Use a bit of heavy cream if needed to get it going.

In a non-stick skillet, melt about 2 tbsp butter. Add the same amount of flour and stir til the flour is brown and nutty smelling. Add 2 cups of cream (yes, the real deal, as the taste is SOO worth it) along with a teaspoon of nutmeg, salt and pepper. Stir in the pumpkin puree and simmer until it is the consistency you want.

I make this every fall. I even toast the pumpkin seeds and put on top for garnish. Yeh, I'm a COOK! 8)

beautifulbeluga
09-30-2006, 09:13 AM
Yum yum yum. I just love pumpkin soup littlered and I am going to try your recipe. I have just gone gluten free so will have to improvise with the flour though. I could just live on soup and salads. That's one of the best things about fall making homemade soups with all those fresh garden vegetables.

Please post any of your favorite soup or stew recipes and I for one promise to try them.

Your friend in love of pumpkin.....beautifulbeluga

MARYCAIN
09-30-2006, 09:22 AM
It sounds wonderful - unfortunately, I've never found a good vegan alternative to heavy cream - I use whipped almond milk in some recipes - it might go well with pumpkin. Thanks - you've given me something to experiment with!

MARYCAIN
09-30-2006, 09:46 AM
The Celiac Sprue Association has a lot of information on gluten-free cooking - you can go to their website at www.csaceliacs.org
there are also a lot of good gluten free recipes and cookbooks available

I like amaranth flour, which is very nutritious and has a nutty flavor - you can also find amaranth cereals, crackers, etc. in most health food stores -it's a good gluten-free alternative for people who like their snack foods. Tapioca flour thickens well - I use it as a base for gravies, so it would probably work for soups.

If you like hot cereal in the mornings, quinoa is a great gluten-free alternative. You can also use it in quick breads and muffins.

littlered
09-30-2006, 11:29 AM
Just a guess here...but would rice flour work as well? Don't know much about gluten-free cooking but maybe...
Believe it or not, I AM HUNGRY as all get out...how I can be nauseous and hungry at the same time is beyond me. They have me here on clear liquid diet only, so I may be posting about food ALOT!! :lol: Kinda like "virtual eating"

beautifulbeluga
09-30-2006, 02:24 PM
I'm not sure if the other flours thicken as much as wheat flour which is used in soup for purely that reason but I will experiment and see what works best. I am also trying to stay away from cornstarch which would been a good substitute. I used to thicken with agar agar but don't have any in the house right now. Thanks Marycain for your information which I will try and I have already gotten some info from that site you mentioned which has been a great resource for me. I have been wheat free for a while now but not gluten free so I am still stocking my pantry and trying new recipies. We have some great products that are gluten free in this city but they tend to be a bit pricey and so so in taste department so I do like to make things from scratch if I have the time and am feeling well enough.

Already sent my husband to store for a small pumpkin so guess what I am making for supper?

MARYCAIN
09-30-2006, 02:40 PM
A lot of the rice flours like Arrowhead Mills are really gritty and not good for soups or gravies - you can find powdered rice flour in a lot of Asian food stores - it has the same texture as cornstarch and can be used pretty much the same in your recipes. I use it in my bean soups and cassoulets as a thickener.

littlered
10-01-2006, 12:17 PM
I forgot to add--if you can stand a little spice, a dash of cayenne pepper adds a little punch to the soup--kind of a nice afterburn, but not too much as the cream cuts it so it's not TOO hot--let me know how your soup turns out! Hope it's delicious!

hatlady
10-01-2006, 02:04 PM
:D I love fall! The slanting light, the cool days and chilly nights (perfect sleeping weather!) I can be covered and not sweating to death... It is the "perfect" season - cool enough to be envigorating, not yet so cold I feel stiff.

Apples are my favorite, I can eat 2-3 a day...and so many wonderful varieties...johnathan, ida reds, paulas, cortlands, empires, grimes goldens....mmmmmmm!

I've got to dig out my pumpkin soup recipe - CURRIED Pumpkin soup! Lots of turmeric that is so good for us, and I don't think there is any cream in it - pure healthy and so warming... I prefer savory to sweet for pumpkin and squash.

And sweet potatoes? Bake 'em up, slice 'em, sprinkle with salt and pepper, lime juice, cilantro, and ground chipotle. Oh such a treat!

OK, now I need to go find that recipe... I'll post it if I do.

littlered
10-01-2006, 02:34 PM
My cybermeal tonight (since I'm not allowed to eat yet0....

Pumpkin soup to start.
Pork Loin first seared in olive oil, then braised in beer slowly in the oven with rosemary until it falls apart.
Red cabbage cooked with chopped apples and a hint of vinegar, salt and carraway seeds.
Homemade mashed potatoes (yes, made with butter and heavy cream)
For dessert? ANYTHING BUT GREEN JELLO!!!

eat up, everyone :lol:

MARYCAIN
10-01-2006, 02:49 PM
It sounds delicious,.

Hatlady, I love apples too, especialy the heirloom varieties - they may not be as pretty but they taste so good, I love winter banana apples, pippins, lady apples - all the old fashioned ones. I eat them fresh and cooked, and also like to dry them for use in recipes later. I think my favorite are King David apples, but they are getting harder to find - I hope I can get some this year.

I also love the pear-apples (asian pears) - just wish the darn things weren't so expensive.

hatlady
10-01-2006, 02:58 PM
King DAvid apples? THat's a variety I'm not familiar with - might be more local to your area. I agree - the "comercial" varieties often are bred for storage or shipping - "Red Delicious?" ICK! The only decent red delicious are ones grown locally, not available commercially. They haven't got the waxy red "coat" of the commercial ones, nor the hard-as-a-rock interior.

Today I picked up several varieties of apple at a central Illinois farm - all grown there, the farmer apologized for the fact they were small. I was thrilled - just the perfect serving size and OH! So crisp and wonderful!

Hugs, and now it is time for an apple.

and maybe some of that red cabbage that littlered was crazing...MMM!

browneyedgirl53
10-01-2006, 10:52 PM
Hi Guys,

As I was getting ready to turn in for the night - I was drawn to this conversation......OH, I LOVE AUTUMN !!!! It's my favorite time of year, the cooler air, the fabulous color changes of all the leaves. We went for a drive today - the weather was "crispy" - you know what I mean? She and I oooohed and aaaaawwd - those crisp early mornin' hot apple cider drinks. Today was a day for the "making memories" book The colors were absolutely breath-taking. I said to mom "how blessed we are to live in and appreciate all this Northwest beauty.

I love pumpkin soup - I've only had it twice and it was a little on the sweet'ish side - seemed like the flavor was "cinnamon"? Does anyone know what I'm talking about???? Am very tired so I'm sure I'm babbling incoherently..... :roll:

Thanks for starting this conversation - very very nice !!

Much love,
Browneyedgirl

ButterflyRN
10-02-2006, 03:02 AM
Oh fall is a wonderful season :D I love when you can wear jeans and a t-shirt with flip flops (if it's not too cool) and be comfortable. Then I love the cool nights where you can put on a sweater and go out and enjoy the evening. And the beautiful change in color of the leaves. I love taking a drive on a fall afternoon when the sun is shining and all the beautiful colors are around. And you have to love being able to sleep without sweating to death :lol:
Sending lots of warm wishes to all of you to enjoy this wonderful fall season ! :D

browneyedgirl53
10-02-2006, 03:13 AM
Hi Butterfly,

I'll be right over to pick you up, and we can go for a ride in our blue jeans....and soak up all the visual wonders there are to see !!! I loved your post. I hope you're doing alright? I'm having one of those insomniac nights - now early mornin' - I think I'll head off to dream about that "dream ride - you and I will take :) :) !!

So good to see your post.

Take care - have a great week!

Much love,
Browneyedgirl

ButterflyRN
10-02-2006, 03:30 AM
Hi browneyedgirl! Let's take that drive ! I've been doing alright thank you for asking. Some aches and pains now that the wheather is cooler but that goes with the territory for me. Glad that you are doing well. My husband doesn't know how to get ready by himself in the morning so he wakes me up :lol: Then I can't fall back asleep.
Anyways sweet dreams and I hope we have a good time. :lol:

p.s.- I hope you brought your sunglasses 8)

psalm 56 3
10-02-2006, 05:40 AM
You are people after my own heart! I adore the fall and even the winter. My friends think I am crazy because I never mind it when it is rainy or overcast. They think that type of weather is depressing. It is so refreshing to read that there are people out there just like me. I am very energetic in the cooler months. My entire outlook changes to an almost obnoxious happy soul. I have even been referred to as a "PollyAnna" which is fine by me. This is my time of the year and I am going to enjoy it, as I hope all of you do. I think I might even try some of the recipes you've shared.

littlered
10-02-2006, 06:06 AM
What I really love to do in the fall is to have a small fire in our backyard chimineo (means "little chimney" in spanish)..kinda looks like a very short square "grill"...anyhow, I love to warm some red wine with oranges, lemons, ginger and cloves, wrap up in a blanket and sit with my hubby and watch the flames...smell of bonfires make me think of fall.
That and friday night football games at the local high schools!
Can't wait to get outa the hospital to do this...though I may have to wait awhile in Houston, it gets cooler a little later here.

psalm 56 3
10-02-2006, 06:26 AM
I love the smell of bonfires or burning leaves. It takes me right back to the days of fall. My favorite time is when I get up early on a crsip fall morning before anyone else in the house is awake. Go downstairs and fix that first cup of coffee. Then to look out my back window at the Blue Jays and Cardinals busy with the start of their day. Glancing back at my coffee and see the steam coming from it, telling me that fall is in the air. To me this is the perfect start to a fall day. Yours sounds like the perfect end of the fall day! Hope you get out of the hospital soon and are in great health.

MARYCAIN
10-02-2006, 06:28 AM
The only thing that makes me sad about fall is that since my back problems, it's no longer possible for me to ride horseback. I used to love trail riding through the fall woods, and letting my horse find a tasty place to graze along the way. She too loves apples - guess it runs in the family.

Right now I am having a lot of fun trying to put together a fall wedding for my cousin, who decided on the spur of the moment (literally) she wants to get married in two weeks! It's going to be outdoor and casual, blue jeans, hay bales, etc., but I do want it to be pretty - we went to a local amish farm over the weekend and got pots of mums in all colors, and we've got cattails and pussy willow and corn sheaves, plus lots of gourds and pumpkins. I could really use some help with food ideas - it has to be something we can do ahead of time that isn't too fussy.

I looked at some of the wedding info on the internet - when did weddings get so complicated? Wedding favors for all the guests, custom-printed candy bars, RSVP cards, save the date refrigerator magnets? Who comes up with these things? I guess I'm showing my age here, but in my day a maid of honor, a bridesmaid, and a flower girl was a "big wedding" - I used to be really envious of both my sisters for having daughters, but this has made me kind of glad to have boys.

Anyway, I'd love to hear any ideas for foods or decorations - and pray for pretty weather on Oct. 14.[/url]

littlered
10-02-2006, 06:38 AM
If you're doing an outdoor fall wedding, why not do barbeque? You could offer chicken or beef that way. Serve potato salad and cole slaw, baked beans, roasted sweet potatoes and roasted sweet corn. Maybe it's not "usual" wedding food, but it doesn't sound like a "usual" wedding (where I find the food is generally boring anyhow)--
Of course, I'm from Texas and we think Barbeque is fit for any occasion, LOL.
Just an idea. (P.S. this way you can get the MEN to do the cooking!!)

psalm 56 3
10-02-2006, 06:47 AM
I don't know if you can use sterno cans or not. If so you can, purchased a large bag of Hillshires little smokies. Put them in a pan with the sterno beneath to keep them warm. My guest always rave about those, and that is so easy. Usually I will go to a bakery and purchase a couple dozen rolls and make up ham and cheese sandwiches. Fruit platters are always popular. You can take a pineapple and cut the top off. Put it in the center of your plate for a garnish. Cut up the pineapple along with numerous other fruits. Place decorative lettuce between each fruit. I have a dip I use for the fruit.

1 8 ounce package of cream cheese.
1 jar of Fluff.
1 tablespoon of orange juice and 1/2 teaspoon orange zest.

Beat the cream cheese until smooth, add fluff, orange juice and zest.

I also put out a pepperoni and cheese platter along with crackers. Swedish meatballs are always a favorite. I look forward to seeing all the ideas people come up with. I will be hosting the Christmas party at my home again this year and I need new recipes too. I hope you have fun with this.....

littlered
10-02-2006, 10:38 AM
ok, still am not allowed to eat, so will do this vicariously... :)
I have never served this dip without raves...

Mix one pkg of cream cheese with 1/2 cup of sour cream and 1/2 cup of real mayo. (You need to soften the cream cheese first.)
Then add 1 well-drained can of crabmeat. (don't use the fake stuff, ugh.)
Add a teaspoon each of red pepper flakes, salt and dill...fresh if you can get it.
Mix in about 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese until all is smooth.
Chop up 1 can of artichoke hearts packed in water (drain first.) Don't chop too finely...maybe cut up each artichoke heart into 4 pieces.
Mix all together, microwave for about 4 minutes, and stir.
Refrigerate. Taste, and adjust salt to your liking.
I serve this with pita chips, and it disappears fast. If you want, you can substitute well-drained frozen spinach for the artichoke hearts.

MARYCAIN
10-02-2006, 11:54 AM
Kentucky is pretty big on barbeque too, although ours is lot different from Texas - most bbq here is pork or mutton, finely shredded or pulled and cooked in the sauce. But there's so much bbq here that most people eat it at least once a week, so it's more like everyday food. Plus, Kentucky has all kinds of regulations about fire and smoke, so no bonfires, barbeque pits, outdoor grilles other than gas, no smokers, etc. without a permit from the fire department, which is a pain. Since it is going to be outside, I'm also worried about mayo-based products - I'd hate for anybody to get food poisoning.

In the garden right now, I have some lovely butternut and acorn squashes, enough zucchini for an army, the last of the summer corn and crookneck squash, some early apples, a few seccat pears (the tiny thumb-size variety) and lots of black walnuts, so I know I will be making some muffins with the zucchini and pears and probably a caramel apple cake or individual apple dumplings. Iced sweet tea is the drink of choice for most people around here, but I was also thinking of hot cider punch, which I love in the fall. Instead of mixed nuts, I was thinking of a combination of pumpkin and squash seeds, pepitas and hazelnuts, roasted and spiced.

I am really enjoying the recipes everyone has shared - I'm printing them out for my recipe notebook. There are some really creative cooks on this forum - thanks!

littlered
10-02-2006, 02:03 PM
Ohh I have HEARD about y'alls barbeque..vinegar based, right? I've never had any, but I'd love to try it someday.
what you are planning sounds lovely..and so seasonal! Wish *I* could go! Love the idea of the toasted seeds. You are so creative!

MARYCAIN
10-02-2006, 02:54 PM
Come up to Kentucky sometime and get ya some - we have barbeque festivals all over the place in May and June - the sauce is generally vinegar and tomato based, thick and fairly sweet, not very spicy. Mutton is popular in much of the state, but in the western part where I live, bbq generally means pork shoulder, almost always served with cole slaw, baked beans and some form of corn bread. Barbequed country ham is also common but bbq brisket is pretty much unknown. "Burgoo" is Kentucky's state food and many bbq places also serve burgoo - Kentucky has burgoo cookoffs the way most people have chili cookoffs - every one has their own recipe or secret ingredient.

I'm always fascinated with the differences in food culture from place to place - I love to watch Rachel Ray's programs on the Food Network because she enjoys the food so much!

littlered
10-02-2006, 03:03 PM
Oh, I could make you some of my "Hell on the RED" chili....three kinds of beans, fire-roasted tomatoes and RED jalapanos....with all my other ingredients...I have won THREE chili cookoffs with it...
I would give it to you in a big steaming bowl...with a side of my cheesey chili cornbread.
FOOD...I'm obsessed with it.

browneyedgirl53
10-02-2006, 07:04 PM
" OKAY EVERYBODY - WE'RE BREAKIN' LITTLERED OUTTA THE HOSPITAL, AND WE'RE CRASHING MARYCAIN'S EXCEPTIONALLY WELL PLANNED WEDDING PARTY - AND THEN.......AFTER LITTLERED HAS BEEN WELL NOURISHED, WE'LL HAVE HER BACK BEFORE ANYONE NOTICES SHE WAS GONE !.......BUT NOT BEFORE WE GET THAT H-LL BURNIN' HOT CHILI RECIPE....AND THEN - WE'LL PICK UP BUTTERFLY AND TOUR THE COUNTRY !!!!![b]

It's the Autumn air - it makes me giddy, and I just wanna go play in the leaves, drink hot cider and sit by that fire !!!!

Much love,
Browneyedgirl

MARYCAIN
10-02-2006, 10:10 PM
Okay, guys, this is the menu I'm planning - let me know if you think it's too heavy for a buffet type or if I need more side items. I would appreciate any suggestions - I'm trying to keep the menu festive and colorful enough for a wedding but nothing too fancy or complicated to prepare for a group.

Cranberry-almond stuffed Brie with assorted crackers
Caramelized Onion and Pear tarts (puff pastry shells)
Spiced Seed Medley - squash seeds, pepitas and hazelnuts
Mini-muffin basket with zucchini and pumpkin muffins

Baked country ham on sweet potato biscuits
Smoked sliced turkey breast
Three Sisters Harvest Stew (one of my favorites)
Baked baby acorn squash with apple stuffing
Yukon Gold smashed potatoes with roasted chipolte strips
Wild rice salad with maple-orange dressing
Fruit and cheese tray
Assorted breads with herbed butter

Individual Apple dumplings with cider sauce
Deep dish fudge pecan pie
Vanilla bean ice cream

Hot cider punch

browneyedgirl53
10-02-2006, 10:57 PM
Well, Marycain - if you're looking for an "OHFISHAL :lol: : TASTE TESTER - I'll stop by- pick up butterfly and, we'll be right over !!! Southern hospitality at it's finest - you do us southern belles proud !!!!

The menu sounds heavenly - I wish you the best event and that you will please stop along the way for those all important "tiny breaks to rest", you are such a busy woman; it wears me out listening to your daily chores.

You will do a fine job Marycain - I can't wait to hear about all the raves. You will be the second most popular girl in town on that day - after the bride of course. You are absolutely amazing Marycain - you seem to run circles around us all day - and you're still not worn out. Pace yourself!!

Take care, friend.

Much love,
Browneyedgirl

mnjodette
10-03-2006, 01:32 AM
The trees are amazing in Northern Minnesota this time of year. We live on 10 acres and I marvel at what I see everyday. Yellows like butter, orange and red so vivid they nearly glow, and always the dark evergreens providing some contrast. I feel so blessed. I'm just learning to live with Lupus, and the summer was rough. I'm normally a warm weather person, but the heat (and the sun) were too much for me many days. Got along way to go to find my 'balance' with this disease, but I'm learning. Now, if I could just learn to sleep at night......

ButterflyRN
10-03-2006, 04:01 AM
Okay I am so hungry now ! I'm waiting for you browneyedgirl :lol: We're on our way Marycain :D

browneyedgirl53
10-03-2006, 05:39 AM
Hi Butterfly - As soon as I unbury my face from these Krispy Kreme's - I'll be right over. Have you checked with Marycain the "attire" requiredments for party crashers???? :D

Have a great day everyone - until next time.

Breathe deep the fresh autumn air - and let's be so thankful for this wonderful site; as I am so grateful for all of you.

Much love,
Browneyedgirl

psalm 56 3
10-03-2006, 06:14 AM
I hope you are enjoying those krispy kreme's. The kids in our neighborhood were having a fund raiser for uniforms so I will be getting mine on Saturday. Yum-Yum Those are some of the best donuts! The menu sounds great. Keep us posted on how the event turns out. I just saw on the weather report that tomorrow's high is to be 88, UGH but the next day is to be 69 and Friday 65 :D . My mother lives in the Shenandoah Valley (Blue Ridge Mountains) fall is unbelieveable out there. I will have to pay her a visit. We live in the city and the best I am going to get are the tree's in our yards.

MARYCAIN
10-03-2006, 06:22 AM
I always get an amazing "high" when fall comes and I can finally spend some time outdoors - it boosts my spirits and gives me a lot of energy, and the 60 mgs of prednisone I'm taking right now doesn't hurt either (ROFL) - work's in a nice lull right now so there's no stress there, which really helps my mood too.

Even though I love cooking, I'm not one of those people who thinks everything has to be made from scratch - I use shortcuts and lots of mixes! As for this shindig, I'll get the meats from a local smokehouse, almost everything else can be prepared ahead of time, and I'm used to cooking for a crowd - with nine brothers and sisters, I've had lots of practice! Plus I have a sister, two sisters in law, four adult nieces and several female cousins who all live within 10 miles, and all of us love to cook. So we'll do the fun part and let the menfolk handle getting everything set up outside and cleaning up afterwards. The only real stress involved is wondering whether the local groundhog and squirrel population will eat the decorations - they think anything outside is fair game.

We are having such pretty weather here, but the fall leaves haven't really started to turn yet. I will be so glad when they do - that's my favorite part of fall. The boys love to rake the leaves in big piles and then jump in them - they are on their fall break right now, and I'm SOOO glad the weather's nice so they can be outdoors. Right now they are busy "building" with their tonka toys - I'm taking advantage of the lull to have a second cup of coffee and browse through the huge stack of Christmas catalogs I've gotten in the mail lately.

Hope everyone else is having a nice day today!!!

psalm 56 3
10-03-2006, 06:29 AM
I have often wondered about Kentucky. It borders my state and I have briefly driven through it. What I recall the most is how green it is, as is Virginia. I cannot think of a time when I have ever heard anything out of Kentucky. In our news I hear just about every other state but yours. There must be some fine living out that way!

MARYCAIN
10-03-2006, 07:35 AM
We're pretty lucky here - other than tornados we rarely have severe weather here, so there isn't that much to make news. Most people just think of the Kentucky Derby - I guess that's our most note-worthy event. I was actually born in Tennessee and lived in Alabama and other places - my folks didn't move to Kentucky until I was in high school. I moved away after college and then moved back, so I don't have the same emotional attachment as somebody who has always lived here. But it is a great place to live.

I also love Virginia, especially the Shenandoah Valley - I was born in the mountains so I guess it's in my blood. one of my nephews was in the Navy and stationed in Norfolk, so we'd sometimes visit him and go to Virginia Beach and Williamsburg. I am actually in the opposite end of Kentucky from where it borders Virgina - I live in the western end that borders Indiana and Illinois. I'm actually most familiar with the parts of Virginia and Maryland that border DC - I used to work out of DC a lot in my younger days.

I hope the weather in Virginia is as nice this week as it's been here

browneyedgirl53
10-03-2006, 09:15 AM
Here's the plan girls - I'll pack up my Aussie "Tucker" who loves and lives for chasing squirrels (or anything else that moves) so that Marycain doesn't have to worry about loosing decorations, and Butterfly your job will be to let Littlered know we're coming up as soon as I wash all the sugar off my face from those heavenly donuts; and psalm you're riding with us "cause" Lord knows we're gonna need a prayer warrior as we speed through the countryside in order to crash that party on time !!! :lol:

Lots of love,
Browneyedgirl

p.s. I'm off to the airport - Mom's heading back to New Mexico !!!

MARYCAIN
10-03-2006, 09:39 AM
Hey, the party doesn't start till the 14th -plenty of time to get here! I'm nor sure how my cats would react to Tucker but I'll bet they would get along okay. When Tucker gets tired of chasing squirrels he can go to my brother's house - his property is a lot more wooded so he has deer, rabbits, ducks, geese - Tucker could chase to his heart's content while we sit on the deck and have some hot cider and Krispy Cremes!

psalm 56 3
10-03-2006, 11:23 AM
Well Marycain are you ready for all of us?? LOL I have a little Pom-a-Poo I could bring along. Her name is Sadie and she is the sweetest little thing. She likes to chase the bunnies in our yard. I hope she never catches one, they are about her size. I used to live in VA Beach but moved to Chesapeake 7 years ago. It got to be too crowded there. I love going to Williamsburg to shop. They have the best outlets there. So anytime you girls want to shop out that way let me know, I'm on board! We do have a huge military presence out here. I have heard it is the largest in the world, but I don't know that for certain. I was born in Lancaster CA. My father was military so we traveled all over the world. We ended up in VA and here I sit.

Saysusie
10-03-2006, 11:57 AM
Oh My :lol:
The menu sounds delectable, the party sounds wonderful and the party crasher are definately my kind of folks :lol:
A road trip sounds so wonderful now, especially at this time of the year which was so beautifully described by Marycain - even though the fall leaves have not yet begun to fall, I can still picture the beautiful colors of the landscape and the sky.
Living in the desert and in California, I do not get to witness the change of seasons. Everything here stays pretty much the same year round except that we do get some snow in the winter (we are in the High Desert). However, I truly appreciate the cooler weather that we are having with the evening breeze that makes the trees sing. The overcast skies with clouds that looks like a cotton party in the sky. Like most of you, this time of year brings out the best in me and being outdoors is such a pleasure.
I hope that the wedding is beautiful...I hope that the "party-crashers" have a WONDERFUL road-trip (even if it is only in cyberspace)!

I wish you all
Grace, Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

MARYCAIN
10-03-2006, 04:28 PM
Sometimes I wish the seasons didn't change quite so much in Kentucky - sometimes it seems like we have summer, fall and winter all within the space of a single week, but I'm not sure I would ever get used to not having the change of seasons, because there is always something to wait for. In winter, I can hardly wait for the first tinge of green or the first daffodil or violet, then the dogwoods and redbuds start to bloom, and I know spring has arrived, and by the time the azaleas are blazing everywhere, everything is green and fresh and the air smells like flowers. I never need a calendar because I can track the months by the things that are growing, and I'm not sure I would value the perfect days so much if I could have them every day. I know there is some spectacular scenery in California, but I think I would miss the variety and color of the changing seasons.

browneyedgirl53
10-03-2006, 04:47 PM
Didn't you get our message Saysusie - We'll be by in the mornin' to pick you up - cause you're the one singin' on this Happy Bus !!!! :lol: :lol: (laughing till my sides hurt, now). Cyberspace, it's the only way to go - no traffic...............and no waiting!! And the views are spectacular, this time of year - nothin' but air and blue skyways.. I thought St. James and Conrad were driving !!!! Where are our fearless leaders?????

Thanks for everyone making this such a fun conversation. My love to you all.

Turnin' in for the night - a few too many insomniac moments this week....and just think - it's only Tuesday.

Much love,
Browneyedgirl

littlered
10-04-2006, 09:08 AM
Your menu sounds MARVELOUS. I'd go in aheartbeat if I was able...Marycain, you sound like a wonderful cook!

Saysusie
10-04-2006, 11:43 AM
Hey Browneyedgirl;
I am PACKED and RE'ToGOGURL. Got my cyberbag filled with comfy sweats and something nice for the wedding. Bringin' a really 'cute cyber gift for the bride and groom and a nice bottle of Pinot Noir for Marycain (the hostess) so we can all sit and watch the cyber sunset and share laughs after it is all over!
Conrad .....hey man, come join us. We need your sense of humor.
St. James is ALWAYS with us and we are going on a cyber caravan to his house after we leave Marycain's so that we can bring the party to him and make sure that he knows how much he is appreciated. He needs us now and we want to make sure that we are there for him!!

I am sitting on my porch with my bags waiting
:lol:

Saysusie

MARYCAIN
10-04-2006, 12:30 PM
Attire here is strictly casual - no ties or high heels allowed - the sky is a gorgeous blue and there is just enough breeze to stir the leaves - we can sit out on the deck and watch the fawns playing in the meadow - they have lost their baby spots and are getting very bold about leaving their mama, but when something scares them, they skedaddle back to their mom with the white tails sticking straight up like a flag. They are just so cute, I wish I could play with them instead of watching from a distance.
Everybody needs to bring a sweater, it gets chilly in the evenings! Don't forget the Krispy Kremes!

psalm 56 3
10-04-2006, 02:01 PM
I'm on it, how about a dozen Krispy Kremes each!! Hey, if we are going to live in cyberspace, why not. It sounds like heaven where you are Marycain. I would love to watch fawns playing. The best I get are bunnies and squirrels. We do on occasion have a black bear (youngsters) wander into the neighborhood. They come up from the Dismal Swamp. So far there have only been two that I am aware of. They mostly get into peoples gardens.

browneyedgirl53
10-04-2006, 04:36 PM
Hi Psalm

So that was YOUR bear in my garden last night !!!???? He managed to shake my plum, apple and pear trees last night....and my yard looked like ANIMAL HOUSE (funny) this morning!!!

Suz, are you still hangin' out on the porch? I loved your description of watching the cybersundown....that was so very cool. How about a glass of wine BEFORE we leave, I want to make sure that we have a good enough buzz that it'll last us till we can set Littlered free, but not so buzzed Marycaine has to ask us to leave before we crash the party. (smile).

ALL ABOARD !!! Krispy Kreme's boarding first (after all we do have our priorities.

Love ya guys,
Browneyedgirl

MARYCAIN
10-04-2006, 05:36 PM
Sorry to tell you, guys, but I live in a DRY county, no alcohol allowed to be sold or served, even at private parties. A small quantity of alcoholic beverages may be kept in one's home for private consumption, but serving it to anyone else can get you in serious trouble, as Kentucky has very strict liquor liability laws. We are in the heart of the Bible Belt here and still have blue laws on the books. So I'm afraid you'll have to settle for some hard cider. I have to admit that Pinot Noir sounds awfully tempting, but I'd have to go to Indiana to get it! Last Christmas I tried to order some German brandy chocolates for my sister, who used to live in Germany - I couldn't even get them Shipped to Kentucky! Although I love the rural surroundings - there are a few drawbacks!

Psalm, I wish we could export a few deer to your area - although I love them, this area has a huge deer population, and they can be a real hazard. They roam freely on the local golf course and around the cemetery, and cause many traffic accidents, which are sometimes fatal to both deer and driver. Most area drivers know the times of day to be extra careful, and many of us have deer alerts on our cars, but accidents still happen. This part of the country is perfect for wildlife, wooded hills, brambles, open meadow areas, lots of water and few natural predators, so the animal poulation is probably bigger than the human. We have whitetail deer, a few elk who have wandered up from LBL (land between the lakes), red and gray squirrels, rabbits, possums, raccoons, red foxes, coyotes, bobcats, and an occasional wildcat or cougar, although they are rare. There are black bear in the area but none near us - I have seen them in the wild down in the smokies but never around here.

We also have many migratory birds including Canada geese, blue herons, green herons, and sometimes cranes - we live near a wetlands preserve and often see the flocks passing thru. We also have a very confused owl who mistook our wood-framed garage for a barn and built a nest in the beams - we had to cut a hole in the wall to let him fly in and out. I am hoping he will mate in the spring and have chicks. He is a very welcome member of the family because he keeps away the snakes, which used to be a big problem. The outside cats were a little wary of him at first, but now they ignore each other. My youngest son was convinced that owls could talk like the ones in the Pooh cartoons, so he's a bit disappointed that the real ones don't.

Boys being boys, and living in the country, they are always finding bugs, caterpillars, frogs and so forth and bringing them home - they know I draw the line at spiders and snakes. I'm constantly grateful that we live in an area where it's still safe for them to play outdoors and ride their bikes, and the worst thing I have to worry about is a skinned knee or a beesting. So when you guys show up for the party, be prepared to have four boys crawling all over you - they are definitely not shy!

psalm 56 3
10-04-2006, 06:06 PM
Okay, I can do without the snakes!! There is nothing I hate more. I am astounded that Kentucky is like that. I thought Virginia was something being a CommonWealth. We had the blue laws on the books for what seemed a long time. I was not aware that there were any states still holding on to them. We do have deer, but I have not seen any in the neighborhood.
Yeah that bear of mine is a stinker, sorry Browneyedgirl. With all that fruit you were just begging for a visit!

MARYCAIN
10-04-2006, 07:19 PM
like Virginia, in fact Kentucky was originally a part of Virginia until 1792, when it wrote its own constitution and became a separate state. Kentucky's Constitution was based on Virginia's - that's probably why their laws are so similar. Massachusetts and Pennsylvania are also Commonwealths. Kentucky still has some pretty archaic laws on the books, although a lot of them are no longer enforced, thank goodness. Many towns, including where I live, still have local ordinances against stores being open on Sunday morning - in fact, the area Wal-Mart has a lawsuit right now trying to overturn the Sunday ordinance so they can be open 24/7.

I'm glad someone else knows what "blue laws" are - many of my friends who aren't from this part of the country have never heard of them, and think I'm joking when I tell them it's illegal here for stores to open before 1:00 p.m. on Sundays. Even scarier, Kentucky still has a law on the books banning any "book or other publication of a sectarian, infidel or immoral character" from the public schools, and the school board association even has a list of banned books. Which includes, incidentally, "Making It with Mademoiselle" - I guess the title sounded so racy that nobody bothered to actually look at the book, which happens to be a how-to book about sewing. You have to love our politicians, busy protecting us from the immorality of sewing!

I also love the city fathers of Campbellsville, who passed an ordinance that "no female shall appear in shorts or a bathing suit while playing a guitar on any street or road within this community unless she
is escorted by at least two officers of the law or unless she be armed with a club" - the city council later amended the law to specify that it did not apply to female horses! You just have to wonder if the entire city council was drunk when this law was passed? So don't feel like Virginia is the only state still trying to enter the 21st century - Kentucky is right there with you!

psalm 56 3
10-04-2006, 07:32 PM
I would have to say at this point Virginia is a bit more progressive. I am not sure how we really stack up to other states. I know that back in the 80's the Playboy channel was banned. I believe you can access those type of channels now, although you cannot advertise them. We have bars, mainly down at the beach. It caters to the younger crowd. I guess there is something to be said about your state, the laws may be strict, but as I said before, I never hear anything bad from there.

psalm 56 3
10-04-2006, 07:36 PM
You know now that I think about it, when they allowed the stores to open up on Sunday's they had to close by 5 pm. That law has changed. I had no idea Kentucky and Virginia shared such closeness...lol

MARYCAIN
10-04-2006, 08:08 PM
Yes, that's kind of the way it works here, there was a state law banning stores opening on Sunday, it was repealed, but each county or city can still pass its own Sunday ordinances. Same thing with alcohol sales - we have wet, dry and damp counties, also a few wet cities in dry counties and vice versa. Most of the college towns and larger cities are wet, most everything else is dry. I've always thought it was funny that bourbon and malt whiskey are two of our major exports - there are distilleries everywhere, but it's illegal to sell the product in over half the state.

beautifulbeluga
10-05-2006, 07:57 AM
OK you gals you are having way too much fun on this thread without me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't believe it everyone is on their way to this absolutely fabulous wedding at Marycain's place with a menu that would put the finer chefs across America to shame and I never got a single invite???? I mean really ladies that cyberspace mobile is traveling all over USA and your guy's are even planning a "hospital hoist" for Littlered and your forgot me? Is it because I'm Canadian? or is it because I am a emotional and physical wreck and might "rain on your parade"?

Too, bad for your all because I have already packed my bag and am waiting at the door And You All Better Show Up!!!!!!!I have the rest of my pumpkin soup (Littlered's recipie) that might have a little blood in it where I cut my finger, but it is a contribution, after all, and my dancing shoes on (actually more like shuffling slippers). OK I'm looking Browneyed girl, you seem to be driving that cyberspace-mobile, WHERE ARE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

beautifulbeliga

browneyedgirl53
10-05-2006, 09:50 AM
"ALL ------ABOARD" - come on psalm - put those krispy kreme's down and walk away slowly.....Butterfly quit chasing Saysusie --- we HAVE TO GO NOW....Beautifulbeluga is waiting for us......hurry !!! We gotta set Littlered free!! We have wine to drink, stars to fly by, and galaxy freeway that's got our name on it " Lupie Express"...so hurry now -let's go".....ALLLLLLLLLLL....ABOARD !! EVERYONE'S WELCOME TO RIDE THE GALAXY WITH US....come soar on the wings of eagles - it's the only way to fly !!!

Have a great day everyone....and don't forget to "toot" your own horn today.

Much love,
Browneyedgirl

MARYCAIN
10-05-2006, 09:56 AM
We have plenty of room if you don't mind sleeping bags or the aerobed - the boys have twin size bunk beds impossible for an adult to manage, but the aero bed is pretty comfy!

We certainly want you to come, just figured you'd be too busy getting ready for surgery, but since it's on hold there's plenty of time for a cybertrip to Kentucky. If we time it just right, we can hop over to Cumberland Falls for a glimpse of the moonbow through the waterfall, under the full moon. Then ride the Autumn Leaf special through the Big South Fork National Park, across the bridge, thru a limestone tunnel and down along mountain streams to the valley floor below, enjoying all the beauty of the Kentucky River Valley along the way. A quick stop in Glendale for fried green tomatoes and awesome sugar creme pie at the Whistle Stop Cafe, and an afternoon of antique browsing and window shopping in the historic district of Old Louisville, where you can pick up a gift at Louisville Stoneware or some hand-painted Bybee Pottery. We can sample some Trappist cheese, wine and handmade chocolates at the Trappist Monastery in Gethsemani, or walk through the pedestrian mall on 4th Avenue to get some authentic Italian food at Mama Grisantis. We will drive home through Elizabethtown to see the places where the movie was filmed and finish our cyber trip by stopping at the orchard to get some apples and homemade cider, feed the alpacas, and maybe buy some alpaca wool gloves for winter - I'm sure they would be handy in Canada and parts north. After all this cyber-gallivanting, I think we will be tired and ready for bed!

One thing's for sure, we're gonna hafta rent a cyberbus - my van won't hold everybody, especially if you've got a lot of luggage!

littlered
10-05-2006, 10:44 AM
All right, darn it...y'all are having WAY too much fun without me!! I do hope that my "hospital attire" will be welcome. It's not much in the way of "evening wear" but it sure is comfy. Of course, I'll have to pin the back so y'all don't look at my BUTT hanging out the back :oops:
They are letting me some solids now so I will be able to sample practically everything. Hmmm...my hair...I have lost a LOT since this hospital stay, so I'll be wearing my Houston Astro's ballcap...I think it should go well with the gown. And my fuzzy purple slippers. Let me know when and where I need to be for y'all to break me out. Since they take me on the 4th floor for tests and then leave me in the hall, that's where you can come and swipe me up. Otherwise, the nurses watch me like a hawk. Hee hee hee. It'll feel like skipping school!

MARYCAIN
10-05-2006, 11:02 AM
I think Browneyedgirl is coordinating the rescue, so she should have the details. Your hospital attire might be a little chilly for the weather we're having, but I have a wonderfully thick flannel robe you can borrow - it should go great with your purple slippers. We'll bring some extra pillows and blankets so you can curl up in the back. We are going to have to do something about the cap - I don't think the baseball cap goes with the slippers. I have a couple of great wigs left over from my hairless chemo days - would you rather be a brunette or a redhead? Plus a whole coatrack of assorted hats - we can surely find on to fit your mood!

I'm stirring up some green jello just for you - we can't have you going into hospital food withdrawal!

beautifulbeluga
10-05-2006, 11:02 AM
Well Littlered, Browneyed girl wants us all to "toot our own horn today" so as the cybership arrives, if you are not in your room we will be combing the hospital with our ears listening for [b]your toot.

[/bDon't worry about the air conditioning in your fabulous gown it will just make it easier to hang your butt out the cyber vehicle if you have to pee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! See your soon.

beautifulbeluga

MARYCAIN
10-05-2006, 11:06 AM
I typed coat rack as one word, how the heck did I end up with "baloney pop" - sounds like we have a virus or bug somewhere! How do I report it to admin?

beautifulbeluga
10-05-2006, 11:24 AM
That happened to me too. I typed a totally innocent word that ended up getting substituted with "one eyed bishop". Hmmm what is going on. I know that offensive words get edited out but this is getting ridiculous. It gives politically correct a new meaning.

Saysusie
10-05-2006, 05:01 PM
Yes, every now and then Conrad's forums have these little hiccups. Thank you Marycain for reporting it and I am sure that he will resovle it soon!

So now, we are ALL (I mean all of us) packed into the Cybervan and sipping on our "non-alcholic" umbrella drinks, laughing and telling each other stories about our lives, our fears, our happy moments and our sad ones and becoming a "FAMILY". The van is traveling at a nice speed so that we can look out of the windows and watch the sunset as it sparkles on the windows. The cascade of colors on the windows touches each of us and makes us give off the most beautiful hues. We look at each other's hues in admiration and it makes us smile and laugh. We are so happy to be together that this happiness resounds in a warm, comforting silence that we share simultaneously.
I am thinking, "This is my family. There is no place on earth that I'd rather be right now. There is no feeling more perfect than what I am feeling now. I am having the time of my life!"
I am looking forward to our next stop....where will that be?

Saysusie

MARYCAIN
10-05-2006, 05:21 PM
Since our last stop was Kentucky, we could go visit hatlady in Illinois or psalm in Virginia, or run down to Texas for some of littlered's barbeque! Or head west for Washington or California. Do you have to have a passport now to visit Canada?

As long as it involves the three f's - food, fun, and family - I'm game for any destination - I just need to pack some extra sunscreen.

browneyedgirl53
10-05-2006, 05:26 PM
I'm thinkin......St. James is due for a rendevous, and since we're all dressed up and ready to party - I say we load up all our hugs, warm wishes.....oh and don't forget to pack a couple extra smiles too....I think he's gonna need some. If you haven't heard by now - Emeril has his "Bam"....and I have my "Hugs"....and again - will someone please remind our ever awesome, one of a kind - can't live without him administrator - Conrad............that he has the key's and we're ready to leave.

Littlered, I think this party we're crashin' in Kentucy is an "outdoors" affair - and since part of you will already be hangin' OUTDOORS....I think you'll fit right in.....laughing out loud.!!!!!

Okay, so what about the fun one who started all of this.....YOUUUU WHOOO ....come on we're ready to blast outta here and have some fun. Saysusie, you might want to let St. James the "Rowdies Are All Comin' Over"....so leave the light on !!!!

Love to you all.

Much love,
Browneyedgirl

stjames13
10-06-2006, 04:22 AM
:D 8) :wink:
SO nice to see you wonderfull ladies all happy and planning somewhat of a KIDNAPPING/ tree watching ride...
Well as ya come from KENTUCKY area be sure to take the BLUE RIDGE MOUNTAIN WAY.....It is perfect timing....
FOR TONIGHT IS THE HARVEST MOON !!!!!

The leaves are just beginning to show there beauty in PA and what a breath taking site it can be.

I got a message today about a CENSORED harmless word....I am sure by now that SUZ has spoken to CONRAD....or is he too on this bus !!!! :wink:

I'm sure my TWO acres will be plenty of room for you ladies to hunker down real comfy like, my back yard is like a ZOO with tons of DEER, and Birds...
We even have a family of ORIOLES that have kept on returning now for the past few years....the trick to getting them here was hanging old fruit on a string near the tall arborvivites as they like to be able to hide fast and this way they can eat in private, but the yard is filled with GORGEOUS FLOWERS still in bloom, LARGE FLOWING GRASSES and tons of gorgeous trees EVEN a BLACK WALNUT tree that puts out the sweetest WALNUTS I ever ate.

WEll if this trip is a cyber trip you can just imagine what my back yard looks like, though it is spectacular in the summer I planted enough different varieties to keep it in bloom till early Novemeber !!!!
(part of the perk for having a wife who is a VP for a landscaping company)

My wife and I don;t bother to even go away as she says I have yet to go to a resort that matches up to the gardening you built.
I must admit I LOVE my garden....my grandmother BLESS HER SOUL taught me all her green thumb tricks to keeping a garden happy and healthy....It will blow your minds !!!!!!

I am HONORED that a stop at my house was put on the intenerary!!!!!!

I am even MORE HAPPY to see all you ladies in such great spirits and all smiling and laughing !!!!!!!

My dogs will be so happy to meet ya'll as well.

I am FINALLY beginning to feel a bit better, whew I never thought it would subside but today my pain level is at about a 5 which is GREAT from the 15 it was at ( and the scale only went to 10 :shock: )

Hmmmm now how do I tell my wife I have a dozen ladies coming by to kidnapp me for a tree watching tour of PA and points NORTH !!!!!

She'll be HAPPY to see I am able to get up and walk around enough to go!!

Well I'll be sure to leave a light on and have some FRESH Butterscotch/ HAZEL NUT coffee and some fresh MUFFINS in the oven ready for you
weary road wonderers !!!!

It's raining here and is supposed to stop soon.
I hope so as it has been to long since I was able to walk in my garden without the frankenstein unit on...though I did manage to get out there for 15 minutes yesterday to check on a favorite "LADYBUG" that frequents my back yard.

AS usual SHE was there on a small flower near where my older greyhounds are burried.......SHE was praying for my DOGS, apparently she also kows how much my beloved NEWTIE meant to me and was paying her respects while sitting on a small statue of ST FRANCIS.

This particualr 'LADYBUG" has been in my yard all summer and is easy to spot due to her different speckles on her and her awareness of how I am with animals....
She walks right up onto my hand and I put her on my shoulder and we walk through the garden as she spreads her wings enjoying the ride,,,,like a child with her arm out the window of a car !!!!

She really enjoys when I put her on my other greyhounds neck and she takes her for a ride around the yard.....when she's done, she climbs off back onto my hand, (call me crazy but I swear she smiles at me)....as she begins to drift off to sleep I gently put her on a Jasmine tree in my house and before she goes back outside ALWAYS flies over to me to say SEE YA LATER and then out the door she goes....
SHE is QUITE THE SPECIAL LADYBUG !!!!

Well I'll be ready, SO just honk the cyber horn and I'll let the dogs out for a nice greeting and let them give you the tour of there back yard.

Hmm, funny how it became there back yard !!!!
I guess it all realy belongs to the animals and we are just using some of the space....luckily for them my town has put a STOP on all HOME building in the area which BTW is about 10 mintes from where WASHINGTON CROSSED THE DELEWARE.

LOT's of history around here and we have all kinds of underground railroad tunnels under houses and lot's of REVOLUTIONARY WAR grave sites n stuff around.....
For you ladies who love to shop there 's plenty of outlet stores within a 20 miles and lot's of flea markets to go to and find that SPECIAL TREASURE !!

By the time you get here I should be doing even better......
So HANG ON ladies and enjoy the ride.....it PROMISES TO BE MAJICAL !!!!

AS MAJICAL AS you ladies are....for your prayers and thoughts of me apparently got through and I am feeling 100% better than yesterday and hopefully within the next day or so I should be back to myself again !!!!!

THANKS YOU ALL For you kind thoughts and prayers...
I'm sure that there was no way our GOD could not listen to 15 women talking to him at once even HE knows he better listen when 15 women are talking to you !!!( that proves GOD is a man :wink: )

SEE YA ALL SOON !!!!!!!!

STJAMES :wink: :lol: 8)

littlered
10-06-2006, 06:10 AM
Ummm...I think I'll take you up on the offer of the wig, since the baseball cap won't do. YES I wll take the redheaded one...I think redheads RULE!
Since it's chilly, I can wear my UGG boots...they are sooo comfy.
Oh boy, ROAD TRIP...of course with the prednisone, I'll have to take lots of pee breaks...somehow, I don't think I could hang these sore hips out the window for a pee....and it would get the cybervan dirty.
Somebody puttin together a tape for this cybertrip? I would suggest:
"Truckin'"
"On the Road Again"
"The Long and Winding Road"
"Every Day is a Winding Road"
"All I Wanna Do Is Have Some Fun"
"Don't think Twice, It's Alright" (Bob Dylan)

any other suggestions?

stjames13
10-06-2006, 07:54 AM
TOM PETTY'S

RUNNING DOWN THE ROAD...... :wink:

it was a beautifull day...the sunbeat down, hit cruise control and closed my eyes.

Felt so good, like anything was possible, the road won;t end till I die

AND I'm running down the road, to never been seen again, looking for the mystery....god's beautifull skyies....

yeah just running down the road........

STJA 8) MES

MARYCAIN
10-06-2006, 08:54 AM
I love music the way some people love food, so the hard part is trimming the list down - Love Tom Petty, so anything from the "Highway Companion" album, also The Byrds, throw in some Rolling Stones, you've gotta have a little Steve Earle and Copperhead Road

Other top picks -
Ventura Highway - America
Roll on Down the Highway - BTO
I Get Around - the Beach Boys
Listen to the Radio - Kathy Mattea
Calling Baton Rouge - Garth Brooks
Route 66 - Nat King Cole
Life is a Highway - Tom Cochrane
Seven Bridges Road - Eagles
Take It to the Limit - Eagles
Me and Bobby McGee - Janis Joplin
California Dreamin - The Mamas and the Papas
The Road's my Middle Name - Bonnie Raitt
Drive - REM
Any Way the Wind Blows - Southern Paciific
Hard Road - Black Sabbath
I Got a Name - Jim Croce
Highway Chile - Jimi Hendrix

St. James, I hope you're up for a jam session, cause I'm bringing the guitar and the dulcimer - I'll show you some bluegrass flatpicking if you teach me a few blues runs!

browneyedgirl53
10-06-2006, 11:11 AM
Mornin' Everybody;

My heart was doing somersault triple flips when I read St. James post this mornin' - it was a "hallelujah" moment for me. Oh, St. James I wish I could reach right through this screen and give you a great big Friday's here hug :lol: . I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED YOUR POST. What a wonderful writer you are, if I didn't have to read the post, I could have closed my eyes and seen your beautifully breathtaking description of your own personal "haven" (a.k.a. - the "gangs all here quarters" - laughing out loud).

Now about your beautiful bride St. James - I suppose you could tell her that the Rowdy Rescue Brigade are comin' to cheer you on, and that you're not leaving without her - so give her a kiss and a hug - and tell her that it's time for a cyber adventure like none she's ever seen before......especially if Littlered's you know what is hangin' out at the wedding reception. :lol: :lol:

Littlered - forget the wig sister - Today is the day to step up and step out....and proclaim your rightful place in this world to be BALD AND BEAUTIFUL. There's nothing like a beautiful woman who glows all over (that shine is the afterglow from God's gentle kiss waking you each mornin') SO BRING YOUR BEAUTIFUL BALD HEAD AND YOU CAN BE OUR BEACON IN THE SKY !!!

Marycain, I think we're all ready for a good jamboree - now, what about that musician leader of ours - who's driving us on our magical mystery tour? 8) 8)

And about passports - Marycain we'll be flyin' so HIGH - there are no boundaries when you're dreamin' in the sky - we're free to roam as far as our dreams can take us.

So soar on brothers and sisters - soar on and choose to be happy today!

Much love,
Browneyedgirl

littlered
10-06-2006, 01:22 PM
Vivaldi's Four Seasons--for lookin at all this beautiful country!
and--we HAVE to play--BROWN EYED GIRL!

MARYCAIN
10-06-2006, 01:53 PM
Van Morrison is a great choice for browneyedgirl.

The Everly Brothers' version of Wake Up Little Susie for saysusie

Yellow Rose of Texas for Littlered

St. James is a tough one - the only two songs I can think of are Bells of St. James and St. James Infirmary Blues - way too depressing for this fun road trip. So maybe "Guitar Man"?

Even if Baby Beluga is a children's song, I still love it, so we can add it to the list for beautifulbeluga.

Running out of ideas here - help -

browneyedgirl53
10-06-2006, 05:20 PM
I think you're on to something here Marycain......like you, if I could pump music through my vains - I would; but for now - it fills my home every waking moment. I think music allows our hearts and minds to drift to places we all wish we could be...and where our dreams seem better than real life. I live to hear music everyday......and you are SO right -

I am Van Morrison's "Browneyed Girl"....the first time I heard that song, I was in elementary school - walking home with my transistor radio, when that song came on - I discovered for the first time in my life, that I could skip and walk all at the same time. I busted through the front door and I ran through the house screamin' to all my brothers and sister; proclaimed to my mother that "there was a man singing in the radio - and it was about me!""" So that story still floats around at every family reunion. That's one memory that I love to recall when I think the world's too cynical - I remember the magic of that day and how innocence made me free to find a little excitement that can never be measured in words, only in feelings.

SO, WHERE'S CONRAD - THE MAGIC MAN???? WE'RE ALL READY FOR A CYBERJOURNEY....AND THERE'S NOTHIN' BUT A WHOLE LOTTA LOVIN' FUELIN' THIS BUS.....Saysusie, can you wake up our Admin - we're gonna be late for Littlered's "Great Escape" !! SO ALL ABOARD !!! Close your eyes, and take a trip with me - take a trip - you can be wherever you want to be - you can be climbing high in the rockies, or swimming in the jamaican blue seas.....

Where's Butterfly - I think she's out for that last autumn swoop, breathin' the crisp cool air and fluttering her wings; ready to soar through all those beautiful Aspens, Maples, Evergreens and such.

MARYCAIN
10-06-2006, 06:10 PM
I think the fact you had a transistor radio, and I know what a transistor radio is, may be giving away too much about our ages - I suspect many of the younger folks may never have seen one! As for the children of the mp3 age, can you imagine what they would think about LP albums or 8 tracks? My kids don't even know what a "record player" is. It makes me feel incredibly old sometimes. Although a lot of the sixties and seventies styles are making a comeback - maybe transistor radios will become a must-have again!

Speaking of age, I have to tell this story on my dad - he never had much time for TV when he was working, so he never saw a lot of programs. A couple of weeks ago, the boys and I were watching a rerun of Full House on Nickelodean when he came in and saw "Michelle" on screen and said "that's a really cute baby" - I didn't have the heart to tell him the cute baby was two grown women now. It's really funny to see him watching the tv programs with his grandkids that he never got a chance to see with his kids. Life really does come full circle sometimes.

browneyedgirl53
10-06-2006, 06:21 PM
I am impressed - and believe me friend, after all we've been through - I wear my age with honor. Life is not for sissies - and the fact that I'm still here and breathin' is a great tribute to God and all the "quiet angels" who have kept me going all these years.

Honest to God, my grandfather never ever watched television. He lived to be 97 years old - and still played his 45's, and had an "old timey" big radio - and he listened to it for an hour a day. He used to say "television is a distraction", why do that when you can live a life worth talking about...and if you want to know what's goin' on in the neighborhood - go talk to your next door neighbor :lol: !

It's been a long day, signing off for now - have a nice week-end everybody.

Much love,
Browneyedgirl

littlered
10-07-2006, 09:15 AM
Ok, resting lots today for my cyberbreakout...My lung is still about 20% down...they used some wierd term for when it "sticks together"???? So doing breathing exercises in addition to respiratory therapy to ward off pneumonia....
Tummy feeling soo good now and I'm eating everything in sight. MaryCain, I expect to do full justice to your yummy menu.
I'm picturing all of us in the cybervan, windows down, breeze blowing...I have my hand out the window, playing with the wind...
I can see the reds, golds and bright yellows in the leaves with the occasional smell of bonfires...I'm in my gown, with a robe on and my ugg boots and my favorite beret...somehow the look "works"...smiling at all of y'all...hey, the upshot of lupus? NONE OF US NEEDS TO WEAR BLUSH!
I have St.James's dogs sitting at my feet. Novio wanted to come too, but he would make everyone miserable, with his frat-boy belching and gas!
Hey, beautiful beluga, wouldja pass me an apple? Thanks! :D

Saysusie
10-08-2006, 10:32 AM
Well, since we cannot find our leader, Conrad...I say, let's push on. We will give him a "shout-out" at each stop and whenever he shows up, he will join our caravan. He has so much music of his own and we will listen to him as he plays some of his thousands and thousands of original songs, which I am sure will include Agnus Dei
Now that we have St. James and his dog, I know that Ladybug is also on this cyber journey because she is a very intregal part of this journey for St. James and me. We are passing her back & forth between us and she flies around, inside of the van, landing softly on each member of this journey. As St. James described her, she is a very different ladybug with a very specific reason for joining us on this particular trip at this particular time.
After she shares a moment with each of us, she will go back to the comfort and warmth of the soft fur of the regal greyhounds who are not only her guardians, but her chariots.
St. James is kickin' out some blues tunes on his guitar and I am singing "Down Home Blues..Down Home Blues...All she wanted to hear was those down home blues, all night long. Every other record or two..."
We stop often to let Littlered eat, now that she is able to enjoy eating, and we assist her with her breathing exercises. Then, we are back "On The Road Again!"
Saysusie

admin
10-08-2006, 12:20 PM
Ok, here's my donation to the cyber trip. Us together on the bus with this song playing:
We Have Lupus CyberBus Theme Song (http://www.conradaskland.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2006/08/If-I-Could-Go-Anywhere-Final.mp3)

And Saysuzie, from me to you.

:lol:

ButterflyRN
10-08-2006, 02:27 PM
Oh my a couple days at work and not having time to check the site I've missed a lot. I'm ready to go and all packed up! I'm glad the dress attire for the wedding is casual so I can wear my jeans and flip flops :lol: . I'm waiting for you browneyedgirl :lol:

browneyedgirl53
10-08-2006, 06:48 PM
I'm so excited I can barely contain myself - (for us oldies - remember what it was like when you knew the ice cream truck was coming and.....you had to go to bathroom?) - I have to listen to this song - but for some reason I can't seem to play it? Do I need a different program? I have rhapsody - is there a pc doctor in the house??? I gotta hear this music!!!

Is everybody ready now????

I just wanna hear this song......so bad!!! Any help, and I'll fly to the moon for you !!

Thanks,
Browneyedgirl

admin
10-08-2006, 06:55 PM
It's an MP3 file. Any MP3 player should play it.

browneyedgirl53
10-08-2006, 07:03 PM
Let's keep in mind - I'm still in that "Transistor Radio" mode - so bear with me a minute (smile). I'll figure this out one way or another???

I guess this means the secret is out "I'm a technically challenged lupie".

Egads,

Much love,
Browneyedgirl

MARYCAIN
10-09-2006, 06:42 AM
I've played it three times just this morning trying to get the chord progressions noted down, please share more information about this beautiful piece.

Browneyedgirl, does anything happen when you click on the title? It should open up the media player on your computer and play the sound clip. If you have rhapsody you should have RealPlayer. If your computer uses windows, you should also have windows media player. Clink on the link again and see if you get an error message - that might tell us what the problem is.

littlered
10-09-2006, 08:32 AM
OH, Beloved Admin, what a beautiful song!!! Having a bad moring here, but it sure cheered me up. I want OUTA this place.... :(

Saysusie
10-09-2006, 12:18 PM
OK - CYBERGROUP...Did Conrad hit it right on the head or what with that song????? Isn't he amazing how he can tap right into the heart of anything with music??

Browneyed girl - Do you have realplayer on your computer. If so, try opening up realplayer, since it is a MP3 file, it should play easily!!

Much Love To You Conrad :lol:

Saysusie

psalm 56 3
10-09-2006, 07:33 PM
That was a beautiful song!! Nothing like music to lift one's spirits. I know I am a little odd given my choice of music is classical. I listen to it every morning while reading my paper and having my chocolate, carmel coffee. Some of the pieces are so beautiful I cannot even put into words how it makes me feel. All those instruments coming together, WOW. My husband will just sit there reading his paper and drinking his coffee and is, in no way, moved by any of it. LOL He is a true rock-n-roll fan. Actually I like most music except Rap. Sorry Rap fans.

Saysusie
10-09-2006, 07:51 PM
Oh Conrad... I forgot to ask.
I do not recognize the lead vocals, but do I hear the famous "Fred Reliford" doing background?

Smooches
Saysusie

admin
10-09-2006, 08:06 PM
Yes, Fred is on bgv tracks!

Saysusie
10-09-2006, 08:08 PM
I just read your response to Browneyed and went to site to read the history. You also answered my question there :lol:

May I adopt this song as my personal theme song???

Wuv Ya Much
Diggsmeister

MARYCAIN
10-10-2006, 01:37 PM
The fridge is full of food ready to be heated - I've carved pumpkins till my hands ache - it's BYOB - bring your own blanket because the evenings are getting pretty nippy! My cats are having a marvelous time - I dropped a basket of unshelled pecans and black walnuts and before I could gather them back up, the cats pounced and started batting them everywhere. The darn things slide like hockey pucks on the tile floors - I'm finding them all over the house. If Tucker were here, he would be having a great time chasing all the squirrels - they must sense winter coming early this year because they are super busy burying their stash of nuts and acorns. The red squirrels are huge, easily twice as big as their grey cousins, and they are very bold about getting food right off the picnic table, so we might have some unexpected guests to share the party! If you play an instrument, bring it along - there are plenty of musicians here to jam with. Otherwise, just bring your appetite! Littlered, it's way too chilly for your hospital gown, can your hubby smuggle you in some clothes? Jeans and cowboy boots are dress clothes around here!

stardust
10-11-2006, 06:46 AM
I love the fall too.
Here in Mi.,right on the lake, we get really huge amounts of the white fluffy snow and they say this winter is going to be a whopper!!!!

I LOVE it !!!
The roads here are always kept clear and we don't have the 'slushy' snow that gets dirty from all the car's exhaust.

Some times in fall, it is a little sad to see all the beautiful leaves fall off the trees; you know (the period RIGHT inbetween) before the snow comes, when it is just chilly and wet. That is a little depressing but for us in Mi. it doesn't last long.

stardust

littlered
10-11-2006, 08:19 AM
MaryCain, my hips are still too sore for jeans...although here in Texas, as with you, jeans and cowboy boots are considered appropriate attire at all times.
Maybe my favorite turquoise sweatsuit with a hoodie???
*hugs*

MARYCAIN
10-11-2006, 08:39 AM
I don't wear jeans anymore - they are way too hard to manage with arthritis and back issues, but I love my denim dresses and jumpers. We will put a comfy chair outside just for you, and you can sit and feed the squirrels and birds.

psalm 56 3
10-11-2006, 09:01 AM
OMG am I so ready for the fall!! Geesh, I went to pick up my grandbabies from school, and the 15 minutes sitting in the line waiting on them about killed me. By the time I got home I could barely breathe. Do any of you have that problem? I know I am not crazy, it makes my heart ache, (literally) and I start coughing. I also have to take slow deep breaths. Fall and winter cannot come fast enough. We do have a cold front heading our way but I still have a day or two to go. I love wearing my jeans with big comfy sweaters. They hide my rolls of fat. Thank heavens we finished up those Krispy Kremes. Browneyedgirl, you know I was thinking of you when I dug into those!! Yum-Yum Marycain I am hungry and ready for a visit!!