PDA

View Full Version : tanning?????????

stardust
09-29-2006, 05:43 AM
I hope this doesn't sound too stupid because I am serious.

I am leaving for California the beginning of Nov.
I have pretty much stayed OUT of the direct sun this summer.
I would like SOME color since the sun is so strong (even in Nov) out there.
and I will be outside a lot with family, not hybernating inside like I have done this summer at home.

I'm thinking of a tanning booth??????
Have any of you tried it or been given advice ????????

thanks, stardust

littlered
09-29-2006, 07:59 AM
I don't trust tanning booths. I'd use a product like oil of Olay's (sorry, brain fog day and can't remember its exact name.) I haven't had any experience with the spray on tans. Find out what kind of chemicals they use.
Remember, even with a fake tan, you HAVE to still put on sunscreen when you're out.
I've been totally staying out of the sun for twenty years now. I will be 50 on Halloween, but people never believe me when I tell my age, because my skin is so youthful. I used to bake, bake, bake in the sun when I was young, and I'm glad I stopped, because sun is the WORST thing you can do to your skin. PALE IS BEAUTIFUL!

MARYCAIN
09-29-2006, 12:25 PM
Most commercial tanning beds emit more UV light than natural tanning outdoors - if you have lupus it can trigger a SEVERE flare - in addition, many medications such as birth control pills and some antibiotics and antidepressants can make you more susceptible to UV radiation, possibly leading to burns and scarring.

Don't believe the claims that indoor tanning is safe - there is no such thing as a safe tan (except maybe the cosmetic bronzers)

This is what the American Academy of Dermatology says:
Light Sensitivity (Photosensitivity) Photo-sensitivity is common in all forms of cutaneous LE. Both the sun burning rays (ultraviolet B light) as well as the tanning rays (ultraviolet A light) can aggravate the skin.

Treatment
Sunscreens are extremely important for people with LE. Prolonged periods of exposure to sunlight, especially between the hours of 10 am and 4 pm, should be avoided, as well as tanning parlors and even bare fluorescent light bulbs. In addition, wide-brimmed hats, tightly woven clothing, or sun protective clothing should be worn. A broad-spectrum sunscreen or block (SPF30) with protection against UVA and UVB rays should be reapplied every 2 hours

This is what the Food and Drug Administration says:

Some think turning light skin darker gives off an aura of good health. But a suntan actually signals skin damage. When exposed to the sun's ultraviolet radiation, the skin produces a pigment called melanin to protect itself from burning. And while indoor or "sunless" tanning may seem like convenient alternatives, especially during the winter months, these practices may not be risk-free. Before stepping into a tanning booth or buying over-the-counter (OTC) tanning products, consider these facts.

Indoor tanning can be as harmful as outdoor tanning. More than 1 million people visit tanning salons on an average day, according to the American Academy of Dermatology (AAD). But many don't know that indoor tanning devices, such as tanning beds and sunlamps, emit ultraviolet (UV) radiation that's similar to and sometimes more powerful than the sun. The Food and Drug Administration discourages the use of tanning beds and sunlamps.

Be wary of claims about "safe rays" because there is no such thing. Both types of ultraviolet light, UVB and UVA, can cause wrinkling and other signs of premature skin aging, skin cancer, and damage to the eyes and the immune system.

The FDA enforces regulations related to the labeling and use of these products, while the Federal Trade Commission focuses on false, misleading, and deceptive advertising claims.

Also remember that some medical conditions such as lupus and diabetes can make skin more sensitive to light, as can some drugs such as birth control pills and medications such as the antibiotic tetracycline.

Some suntanning products don't contain sunscreen. It only takes a few bad sunburns to raise the risk of skin cancer, and skin damage builds up over years even when no burning occurs. This is why sunscreen, which blocks UVA and UVB, is recommended. The FDA has expressed concern about suntanning products without sunscreen, and encourages consumers to check the labels. Tanning products without sunscreen must display a warning that the product does not protect against sunburn.

Sunscreen is regulated by the FDA as an OTC drug. Cosmetics that make sun-protection claims are regulated as both drugs and cosmetics. Look for products with a sun protection factor (SPF) of 15 or more. The higher the number, the better the protection. Sunscreen should be liberally applied to skin 30 minutes before going out in the sun, and then every 2 hours thereafter.

I WOULD NOT EVEN CONSIDER A TANNING BED! You might end up too sick to go to California. I know it's hard to get used to, but sun is not your friend when you have lupus. This is an area where you may have to educate your friendas and family, and explain to them that is physically harmful to you to be out in the sun.

psalm 56 3
09-29-2006, 12:26 PM
I really hope you stop and think twice about using the tanning bed. My Lupus was quiet for years. In May I wanted some color and used the tanning beds. I am paying dearly for it right now. My Lupus has come back with a vengence. There is no way a little color is worth all of this. Look for a sunless tanning product. They have come a long way and there are many of them to choose from.

Beauchick
09-29-2006, 01:37 PM
I had double checked with my rheumy back in may about going to a tanning bed. I was having a tough time with being white and pastey. I asked her if it would really hurt if I went a couple of times. I thought she was going to strangle me. So, the answer is, don't do it.

I started using the Jergens self tanning lotion. They make one for your body and one for your face. It did good.

Trust me, I know this is hard. I worshiped the sun for years and tanning beds. I would hit the beds in Feb. so I would "look good" to tan pool side. We just got a boat last year. I was dx'd in Nov. and have not been on the boat at all this year. I cannot imagine going on the boat with a lot of clothing on, but I will eventually have to adjust.

Please think about what we have said....I would hate for you to ruin your trip.

Good Luck,
Kathy aka Beauchick

stardust
09-29-2006, 02:27 PM
OK guys,

You have scard me out of it!! THANKS

I didn't know all that!!! I'm glad I asked !!!!

stardust

CLEAR Kendra
09-29-2006, 04:43 PM
Yeah, I thought the same thing, and it was fine for me a couple times and one time out of the blue I broke out in a nasty rash all over my legs. Spray tans are a much better option, the products are so much better now than they used to be!

MARYCAIN
09-29-2006, 07:45 PM
But I am glad you decided against the tanning booth. Remember if you do try a self-tanner, test it on a snall patch first - different body chemistry can produce different colors with the products, plus you want to make sure you aren't allergic to it. And as others have cautioned you, the darker tone doesn't protect you from the sun, you still need your sunscreen! I know you are planning some outdoor activities in California, but it's a good idea to stay inside at mid-day when the sun is most intense. Also, many t-shirts and casual clothes are loosely woven and won't protect you from the sun - I got a severe flare in Florida wearing a long-sleeve t-shirt, so I learned that lesson the hard way!

I hope you have a great time in California!

littlered
09-30-2006, 07:49 AM
Also when using bronzer tanning products, scrub your knees, elbows and feet before using...the extra dry skin there tends to soak up the product. Wear plastic gloves so the product doesn't soak into your hands too much. And if you get streaks, put some hydrogen peroxide on a cotton ball and stroke over the streaks until they match the rest of you.
Heck, staying out of the sun was one reason why I finally decided to dye my hair red. red hair and pale skin go together!

hatlady
10-01-2006, 02:16 PM
Oh thank heaven you decided against the tanning booth!

And, when you're with your family, stay covered. Sunscreen under the long sleeves, A HAT (sigh, my mantra) with at least a 4" brim, one that you cannot see light through.

You can start a style among your family - the hat is good for EVERYONE who wants to keep those pesky crows feet at bay....

Laura07
10-05-2006, 09:19 AM
I was tanning (in the beds) all spring and early summer this year. Then I had a bad flare and was diagnosed with Lupus. My Rhuemy thinks that the tanning may have triggered it. There's no way to tell for sure. I was going about 4-6 times a week though. :(
Now I'm a white girl again. I was out in the sun at my fiance's family farm last Sunday. I didn't know that we would be outside all day, so I didn't bring extra sun screen (put extra in my glovebox now :))I got sun burned really bad, and in turn, I have been feeling terrible all week. I really wish I could take a day off to recuperate, but I just started a new job and can't.

My advice is to stay out of the sun when at all possible, and definitely use sunscreen when you have to be exposed to it.

psalm 56 3
10-05-2006, 10:40 AM
I cannot stress enough how bad these tanning beds are for you. Like I said before my Lupus was inactive for several years. I am still reeling from it. I was out in the sun the other day talking to my son and husband and the next thing I knew I felt faint and all the color washed from my face. My son got a cold wash cloth and husband put me in front of the fan which helped considerably. I was not outside for very long at all. I am finding out real quick what my limitations are for sun and tanning beds. I think it is safe to say with me that when Lupus is active it does not take much sunlight to effect you.[/i]

seafoam
12-05-2007, 06:07 PM
I decided to search here for people's thoughts on tanning and lupus. we are going to the Dominican Republic and i too wanted to tan in a bed beforehand. I was diagnosed last year and didn't really think that the sun this summer affected me flaring one way or the other. Over the past two months I have felt really good and meds are helping to keep things stable. I have gone tanning twice and was planning on only going for short amounts and see how things go.

Is there anyone who DOES NOT have a negative reaction to tanning beds.

Yes, i know that tanning is not good for you, but having Lupus is the shits too so as long as i don't flare, I'm thinking of taking a chance.

Thoughts??

Missy
12-05-2007, 08:23 PM
I don't tend to have a bad reaction to a limited amount of sun and it helps my skin feel better. So, I do SPF and spray tanning and the lotions and all and then I only go in the sun for a few minutes at a time.

It works for me.

Kimmers
12-06-2007, 08:50 AM
I haven't been able to tan, either outside or in a booth in several years. I thought I just had super sensitive skin until the SLE diagnosis. I used to do the tanning beds all the time because I thought I had sebboreah (sp?) and was told tanning would clear it up, but it just made me break out in rashes everywhere else! I started using those Jergens tanning lotions last summer, they work pretty good, but they don't last long so stock up!

teresaa40
12-26-2007, 07:48 AM
I haven't had any terrible effects, but, then again, no way of knowing how I will react this year. Lupus is an ever changing illness. If I burn, I end up in bed with flu symptoms, so I am careful to monitor how long I am in either natural sun or tanning beds. My goal is to just keep from burning in the Mexican sun, as we spend a week in Cancun and Riviera Maya every year. The sun there is so strong, and I have always loved the beach, so, whether you are in the sun or sitting under an umbrella, you will get sun affects. I have seen people burn so badly, and they are really trying to be careful So, I go about it very gradually, starting out with only 5 minutes per session twice a week, then three times a week after the first two weeks. I watch to see any reactions and cut back for a while if I have any. If I am in a flare, I just don't do it until I feel more normal, at least normal for me. It's all a trade off, as most things are for lupus patients. I try not to push myself, but, go as far as I can.

If it were a matter of just having some color, I would say don't do it. In my situation, and yours could very well be different, if I get a burn, I get a terrible flare. Gradually building up enough color to avoid being burned, which will happen if I am pale even if I spend the entire time covered up, goes a long way to having a pleasant trip. I do not go for the gold so to speak, just enough color to fend off a burn.

I used to love tanning. Still would probably. I have always felt that I get my chi from the sun. But, it is not always my friend. Since natural sunlight does not tend to send me into a flare as easily as the tanning beds, I stop using the beds as soon as the weather permits tanning outside. After the trip, which is usually May or June, I stop tanning entirely and don't start again until January at the earliest, and only that early in order to very slowly build that color.

I have not tried the sunless tanning products, but, since my daughters are both into ballroom dancing, I have seen it used by a lot of dancers and I just don't like the color it gives any of them. I also know that with my difficulty reaching areas of my body without pain I would probably end up blotchy unless there was always someone there to help me apply it.

As my lupus is getting worse year by year, I will probably have to accept not going to Mexico or cutting way back at some point. Maybe I will find some place where the sun isn't so strong that I can afford to go to.

hatlady
12-26-2007, 01:05 PM
Hi teresaa40

I have gone from being olive skinned year round from so much sun to wearing the palest shades of makeup on the shelf. (I'm German-American by heritage), I stay covered year round. Sun can truly bring on a flare -- and avoiding it can mean more energy and strength.

My hats - with 4" or wider brims - have become my trademark, hence thd moniker. I probably have more than a dozen now, casual and dressy, summer and winter. I wear long sleeves and slacks, even on warm days. Sunblock is my friend - and reapplied often.

I encourage you to NOT try tanning at all - the sun is NOT our friend!

joakris
12-27-2007, 02:30 PM
okay
this is a lesson learned and to be learned by some of you yet!
I too was an adamit tanner! well not any more...

I used to go tanning 3 to 4 times a week, all diff beds high uvb beds, the cheap beds, expensive non uvb beds ect...

well can any one guess what happends to me?

I now have SCLE! or what the dermitologist believe. ( 4 of them to be exact) this was the worst rash I have EVER seen. if any of you want a picture of how bad a lupus flare/ rash can get. I would be more then happy to send you my pictures!

I dont want to sound like anyones mom here but come on! If you know something WILL make your symptoms worse or possibly prevent you from being able to have a normal or some what decent quality of life why even risk it?

The emotional pain and estetic issues ! oh my god ! I ( am 24yrs old and have blotchy legs and arms that look like craters!) when this rash started to get better my skin was so wrinkley that it looked worse then my 83 yr old grandmothers wrinkly skin!
I cant begin to express my emotional damage that this has has on my self esteem, self image, confidence.. ect..

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE dont go tanning if you have lupus, its a risk that is not worth taking. I too am once again a pale pasty white girl!

this website really helps me with dealing with these issues and knowing I'm not alone and not the only one out there with skin i wish i could just peel off and get rid of! i hate it but unfortanatley there is nothin i can do...