PDA

View Full Version : Please tell me about cymbalta and soma

greeneyes58
09-27-2006, 10:36 AM
Could you tell me if cymbalta will help me sleep? The research tells me its supposed to help with all that and does 20mg usually help? Does anyone know if soma helps you sleep and helps with muscle soreness?Thanks so much for the info. Ive just heard cymbalta is supposed to be really good for your aches allover. thanks again greeneyes58 :? [/b]

MARYCAIN
09-27-2006, 12:17 PM
Cymbalta belongs to a class of drugs called SSNRIs - selective serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors. It acts by affecting two chemicals that occur naturally in your brain and spinal cord, serotonin and norepinephrine. Cymbalta is prescribed for major depression associated with physical symptoms like pain. It is also prescribed for diabetic peripheral neuropathy. Although it might make you sleepy, it is not a sedative or tranquilizer but an antidepressant. It does help the physical symptoms associated with depression, but it isn't intended as a pain medication. Cymbalta is a prescription only medication.

Soma is a very strong muscle relaxer - it's generally prescribed for short-term use for the pain and stiffness associated with a sprain or strain. It makes some people very drowsy - you should not combine it with alcohol, antidepressants or sleep medicines.

If you are having difficulty sleeping because of pain, you should talk to your doctor about the right medicines to help. Cymbalta and Soma aren't for everyone - they have side effects like most medicines.

greeneyes58
09-27-2006, 01:18 PM
Thank you for the info. I have had long term depression for 28 years and have been on medication that long also. I have noticed that I have alot of neck pain, headaches, sleep problems and have been very emotional lately. I have been on lexapro for the last 2 years out of 28. I do have mild lupus and fibromyalgia so I thought maybe cymbalta would help me get of other meds. I take trazodone at night and have begun to ween myself off of it because its not working. I thought maybe it would get rid of the depression, sleeplessness, headaches and severe spinal pain that I have along with stomach problems. I really appreciate your information and I will be going to the doctor on friday. thanks greeneyes58 :)

ajybird
10-30-2006, 02:42 PM
I have been on Cymbalta for about 6 weeks. I can really tell a difference. I was having more bad days with my depression than good and was on Paxil. The Cymbalta made me feel really strange for about a week but I feel much better. I lost 6 lbs. Which is great. It has helped a lot with upper back and neck pain usually caused by stress. :lol: [/list]