PDA

View Full Version : HEY BEAUTIFULUGA

stardust
09-25-2006, 06:39 PM
We have NOT forgotten your upcoming surgery!!!!!! Oct.6th.

your last e-mail to me was telling me you had appointments for PRE- SURGERY???????? and you had LOTS of ? to address to the

How did that go?????

Anyway, we are still thinking of you, so POST so we know you are ok

stardust

Quarterhorsegal
09-26-2006, 04:59 AM
I have been thinking of you too, and hoping all is going well.

beautifulbeluga
09-26-2006, 10:33 AM
Thank you gals for thinking about me. I just came back from my pre-op at the hospital this very minute. It was over three hours long. Now I have all the info about new knees (the do's and don't of becoming bionic). Also met with the physiotherapy department and the anesthesiologist. Looks like I will be having a spinal with some dream time juice to keep me in la la land. I am ready mentally to go and my health has been holding so far, thank God. Hubby just came down with some chest and head cold so have been trying to stay away from him and wash, wash, wash my hands. I really don't need to get sick now as if I postpone I might chicken out all together.

I am really psyched into being able to walk again. I can't even remember what life was like without all this knee pain. Two new knees hopefully will give me a new lease on life I can hardly wait. Nobody at the hospital seems overly concerned about my UCTD, hope this isn't just naivety on their part but they have seemed to take all the necessary steps to insure the best possible outcome. There is a place in life that we just have to move forth in trust and hope and I am definitely there.

So, just one more week of training, building that upper body strength, quads and calves and of course my routine of swimming and water aerobics. Physio, by the way was quite impressed with my muscle tone and strength and thought I was in pretty good shape for a pudgy. Blood pressure and sugar all normal. Thank God for the water. How many times have you all heard me say that. I will really miss that for a few weeks because I was told I couldn't even take a shower or bath until completely healed and no public pool for at least four weeks after. How will the beautifulbeluga ever do without water??????

stardust
09-26-2006, 01:58 PM
You will just HANG in there :) :) :) :) :)

YOU sound REALLY together and READY to do this ! I'm soooooo happy for you!!!

I know how scard you were and I really hoped you would receive the answers you had from the Dr's. Sounds like you have, or at least; as prepared anyone can be for surgery.

I know what a HUGE difference ONE knee replacement made for me.

AND YOU will have 2 new knees!!!!!!! YEA :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
and like I told you before; the timing is GREAT because by spring, you will be ready to take on a marathon!!!

Keep us posted !!!!!!

love, stardust

beautifulbeluga
09-26-2006, 02:05 PM
I can't believe it!!!!!! My rheum's office just called after my pre-op visit and advised my crp level is away up . They want me to go on steroids for a few days. Couldn't they not have told me that at least a week earlier or at least before my pre-op. Now what? How is a few days of steroids going to help, and isn't it going to risk infection? I was told today I have to go off all anti-inflammatories by this Friday. The anithesiologist was all worried because I was on them in February for a couple of weeks.

stardust
09-26-2006, 02:39 PM
No, the steroids "I assume prednizone" will not risk infection and it can only help.

I also had to stop a couple of my meds a week before, so that is NOT something to worry about.

IT SOUNDS TO ME AS IF THEY ARE REALLY LOOKING OUT FOR YOUR BEST INTEREST !!!!!.

Remember I told you that I was severly anemic ,to the point, they ALMOST did not do the surgery!!!!

I feel you are in good hands, just MAYBE a little nervous and scard, which is SOOOO normal.

I too was to have a spinal but at the last minute I frieked out so bad they decided to totally knock me out I think to just shut me up :) :) :)

Just TRY to stay as calm as possible, I know that's hard, but really try!!!!!!
And don't feel dumb about posting your fears, I'm sure we have all been where you're at in one way or another. :) :) :)

stardust

Quarterhorsegal
09-26-2006, 06:43 PM
Prednisone will inhibit your immune system therefore increasing the risk for infection because your body will not be able to fight infection as well as without the prednisone. Of course, we all know that with our messed up immune systems how well we fight infection. Your surgeon will order an antibiotic to be started prior to surgery to help to prevent infection. This antibiotic is usually given for at least 24 hours, but may be continued longer if they think you are at increased risk for infection. The reason you are supposed to not take anti-inflammatories before surgery, is because most of them also affect bleeding by making you clot less and therfore bleed more. Prednisone does not affect bleeding like the NSAIDs, but it may increase your risk for ulcers, for which you are already at increased risk due to the stress of surgery. It all comes down to risk verses benefit, which is a decision your surgeon will have to make based on your medical history. I hope this does not postpone your surgery. It can be so nervewracking getting yourself mentally prepared for this type of thing. Either way, I will be thinking of you and praying for everything to go well.

browneyedgirl53
09-26-2006, 07:42 PM
Hello Beautifulbeluga !!

I've missed you and saw these posts. I understand about the CRP levels because I suffer pericarditis; my CRP levels have been as high as 7.5 and up. Apparently it has something to do with cardiolipins...I have to go on prednisone whenever I have the pericarditis; and I'm told it is essential to take the full dose to get the full benefit.

You will be in my prayers that all goes well, and that when the time is right this surgery will happen. Just think when you're in lala land from the anesthesia - you can dream that you're swimming with the dolphins and the belugas.

I wish you a calm,peaceful and full recovery. Keep us posted when you can. Lots of love and am looking forward to hearing about all your new walking adventures!!

Much love,
Browneyedgirl

stardust
09-27-2006, 05:26 AM
I never knew that pred. suppresses your immune system??????
I knew the methotrexate did??? I was on both aweek before my surgery?

stardust

beautifulbeluga
09-27-2006, 07:05 AM
Hi all: Thank you, thank you thank you for all your support, encouragement and information. I really appreciate it. Trying to have surgery for someone like us is like trying to hold a canoe still to board in a tropical storm.....not easy. I keep the faith that others have gone before me like the wonderful Stardust and were successful. But this is beginning to feel like your company visit Stardust , getting ready, getting ready, oops getting sick.

Yes, Browneyedgirl I think that is what is going on for me too...pericarditis. My crp is almost just a smidgen under 8 and I spent a day in the hospital three weeks ago thinking I was having a heart attack. Just am having a really tough time trying to ward off any further flare-up.

Quarterhorsegal, thanks for your info about medication. I had contacted the hospital who advised me of the same thing but to go ahead with the prednisone. There will be no opportunity for antibiotics 24 hours prior to surgery as I go in the same day as the surgery but I was told that they would give me IV antibiotics prior to the procedure and right after. I have so many allergies to antibiotics and other meds that makes me almost more nervous than the surgery itself. I was careful to go over all my allergies yesterday and will remind them again when I am there on the table and ready to go. I had a really bad reaction to toradol last time (very ill and full body rash more like a body raw) and that is part of the cocktail they give in the operating room. I really need to make sure they don't give me that.

Anyway thanks again gals and this is probably not the last time you will hear from me about this topic before the big day as I may need more help to board this canoe. :mad:

MARYCAIN
09-27-2006, 07:17 AM
Beautifulbeluga! I've had three major surgeries, including a double-mastectomy last year, while on high dose prednisone and cytoxan. The doctors and surgical nurses are well-used to immunosuppressed patients and they will take every possible precaution to avoid infection. You will be given antibiotics before and after surgery. I was also put in a a separate room before and after my surgery rather than the regular holding area and recovery area, so I was not around any other patients. The prednisone did cause the surgical wounds to heal more slowly, but they did heal with no infection.

I had a spinal for my last knee surgery because the doctors thought general anesthesia was too much strain on my lungs and kidneys. I was very nervous about the idea, but it actually turned out to be easier than general anesthesia for me - no nausea, vomiting or vertigo afterward. Although I also has a mild sedative, it wasn't enough to put me under completely, and I was able to listen to music through headphones and talk to the doctors and nurses, so it wasn't nearly as stressful as I was expecting.

If you have Reynauds, definitely mention it to the surgical nurses beforehand so they can adjust the operating room temperature. Many ORs are kept extremely cold and it can trigger a painful reynauds attack which could delay your surgery. I had a nurse anesthesiologist freak out on me once because she had never seen reynauds and thought my blue fingers were a medical crisis!

Good luck with your surgery - we will be thinking of you! i know you will miss the water during your recovery, but think how great it will be to climb in and out of the water without pain!

Quarterhorsegal
09-27-2006, 05:40 PM
Glad to hear everything is still a 'go'. Sorry if I confused you about the antibiotic. When I said they would start an antibiotic before surgery, I meant right before surgery (usually within 30 minutes - in pre-op). Then they continue it for 24 hours after surgery. DO check again about your allergies and medications ordered. It is common for a surgeon to have a pre-printed standard set of orders for a given type of surgery. These do not take into account individual things like allergies, and although the pharmacy and nurses should be screening for those things, it is always a good idea to be proactive and ask.

beautifulbeluga
09-28-2006, 07:25 AM
Thanks to everyone for their information and support.

Marycain you are really a trooper, I can't believe you have come through all those difficult situations successfully. Those that have good health really don't know how very fortunate they are. There are times that I get to feeling a bit dissatisfied with my lot in life health wise and then I realize how really fortunate I have been. My husband and I have rental properties and one of our tenants desperately wanted another child. Baby was born something like four months premature. That little baby was born almost five months ago and still in the hospital. He has had something like four or five surgeries already and continues to be on life support and critical. Can you imagine all those medical problems and not even had a chance to put on your first pair of sneakers?

Thanks Quarterhorse for your input about medication etc. I realize now that I do need to be more proactive at the hospital. I have had several surgeries before but not since being diagnosed and the last few I have had complications. Sometimes these complications have been errors in medication given to me that I wasn't supposed to have. My allergies are charted, and they give me a special red bracelet and I tell them verbally but still something doesn't get to the OR or they just don't read the chart. I will remind them again in pre-surgery holding room and make sure everything is on the chart. Usually you never get to see the OR nurse or doctor before the procedure but I will be much more insistent this time.

If you have any more suggestions please feel free to let me know as I really appreciate it.

beautifulbeluga
09-30-2006, 02:08 PM
Hi to all:

Just wanted to do a quick post and say that I am finally starting to feel better. I am on day 4 of prednisone and I can't believe how much better I feel in such a short period of time so I guess the pre-surgery dose of prednisone is just what I needed to get me through these final days before surgery.

Six days left before first new knee. Am now ready to go , whatever is ahead in recovery I say "bring it on"!!!!!

The soon to be bionicbeautifulbeluga

stardust
09-30-2006, 03:10 PM
I'm soooooooooo HAPPY you are feeling better!!!!!!!!!

Keep us up-to-date all week !!!!

when I had mine done, it was Oct. 10th. That's why I knew your time was so good because you have all winter to strengthen those new knees !!!!!! and be all set to GO GO GO in springtime!!!!!

stardust :) :) :) :) :) :) :)