PDA

View Full Version : Whats the Real Story on Methotrexate?

mnjodette
09-22-2006, 01:03 PM
Doc is having trouble 'weaning' me from prednisone (pericarditis 3 times now - tired of those late night ER visits.) She's trying methotrexate, which she tells me is a widely used med for RA and Lupus. I know many of you are on it. How about side affects? She tells me dose is low and I shouldn't be worried, but...I'm worried.

atedj
09-25-2006, 12:35 PM
My doctor tried to get me on Methotrexate but I refused to take it after reading about the drug. He wanted me to take it because he wasn't sure if the Imuran and Palquinil were working and wanting me to "try" methotrexate. I found out from this site that its a drug used for cancer patients and is basically chemotherapy. Some have experienced nausea and hair loss. I didn't feel that my condition was bad enough to take such a drastic step and decided to try the other two drugs for a few more months. Plus I was hesitant because if you happen to get pregnant while on the drug, it is VERY dangerous. So make sure you read about it. I know many people benefit from it. I just didn't feel comfortable taking it for myself. Hope this helps!

mnjodette
09-30-2006, 02:52 AM
Thanks...yes, that helps. I AM on it now. Two doses so far, and no negative reactions yet. Hate taking high doses of prednisone, so this may be a better solution.