PDA

View Full Version : QUESTION FOR THE COOKS! Not a lupus question

MARYCAIN
09-22-2006, 10:41 AM
A friend of mine who lives in Maine set me a gift box of "easter egg" potatoes - they are really little potatoes in all different colors - blue yellow purple, etc. They are really cute but they didn't come with instructions so I don't know the best way to cook them. They look too small to bake - I'm considering boiling them like new potatoes - any ideas? I know there are some great cooks on this forum - help?

SoleSinger
09-22-2006, 03:47 PM
Well are you looking for a hot dish or a cold dish? You could make a 3 colored potato salad! You could make them au gratin, or fried with eggs! Now I'm hungry lol!

MARYCAIN
09-22-2006, 04:19 PM
Think I'll give it a try - the little things are almost too cute to eat

littlered
09-23-2006, 08:03 AM
I liked the idea about boiling them, then making a tricolored potato salad. Another idea is to thin slice them, then deep fry them into chips. or, slice in half, drizzle in olive oil, salt and pepper and roast them...yuuummmm.

browneyedgirl53
09-23-2006, 07:47 PM
Hi Marycain,

I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but I've tried this recipe (below)....for our dinner guests not too long ago, and they were a hit!!
They're so cute - I hope this works for you.

I found the recipe on www.recipelink.com

Hope you're doing well. Bon Apetite'

Much love,
Browneyedgirl

Easter Egg Potatoes

These stuffed baked potatoes stand on their ends and look like golden Easter eggs.

8 small baking potatoes (about 4 ounces each) or 4 large baking potatoes (about 8 ounces each)
Shortening (optional)
1/2 cup light dairy sour cream or plain yogurt
2 ounces Gouda cheese, shredded (1/2 cup)
2 tablespoons snipped fresh chives
2 teaspoons Dijon-style mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
Milk (optional)
2 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and coarsely chopped
Whole fresh chives (optional)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F or 350 degrees F. Scrub potatoes with a brush; pat dry. Prick potatoes in 2 or 3 places with a fork. (If desired, for softer skins, rub potatoes with shortening or wrap each in foil.)

Place potatoes in a shallow baking pan. Bake potatoes, uncovered, in a 425 degree F oven for 40 to 50 minutes for small potatoes or 60 to 70 minutes for large potatoes (or in a 350 degree F oven for 60 to 70 minutes for small potatoes or 80 to 90 minutes for large potatoes) or until tender. Remove from oven; cool slightly for easier handling.

For small potatoes, cut a thin crosswise slice off both ends of each baked potato. (For large potatoes, cut potatoes in half crosswise. Cut a thin crosswise slice from the round ends of the potatoes.) Scoop pulp from slices; discard skin. Place pulp in a bowl. Carefully scoop pulp from each potato, leaving a 1/4-inch shell. Add pulp to bowl; set shells aside.

Mash the potato pulp. Stir in sour cream or yogurt, cheese, chives, mustard, salt, and pepper. (If necessary, add 1 to 2 tablespoons milk to make of desired consistency.) Stir in hard-cooked eggs. Carefully spoon potato mixture into shells. Stand the potato "eggs" upright in a 2-quart rectangular or square baking dish.

Bake small potatoes, uncovered, in a 425 degree F oven about 20 minutes (or in a 325 degree F oven for 35 to 40 minutes) or until heated through and tops are lightly browned. Top with additional whole fresh chives, if desired.

browneyedgirl53
09-23-2006, 07:50 PM
Hi Marycain,

I don't know if this is what you're looking for - I found this recipe and used it when we had dinner guests a couple of months ago - they were a big hit - there's a little work involved - but they make a great presentation and so so yummy. I found the recipe on www.recipelinks.com

I hope you're doing well. Bon Apetite'

Much love,
Browneyedgirl

Easter Egg Potatoes

These stuffed baked potatoes stand on their ends and look like golden Easter eggs.

8 small baking potatoes (about 4 ounces each) or 4 large baking potatoes (about 8 ounces each)
Shortening (optional)
1/2 cup light dairy sour cream or plain yogurt
2 ounces Gouda cheese, shredded (1/2 cup)
2 tablespoons snipped fresh chives
2 teaspoons Dijon-style mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
Milk (optional)
2 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and coarsely chopped
Whole fresh chives (optional)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F or 350 degrees F. Scrub potatoes with a brush; pat dry. Prick potatoes in 2 or 3 places with a fork. (If desired, for softer skins, rub potatoes with shortening or wrap each in foil.)

Place potatoes in a shallow baking pan. Bake potatoes, uncovered, in a 425 degree F oven for 40 to 50 minutes for small potatoes or 60 to 70 minutes for large potatoes (or in a 350 degree F oven for 60 to 70 minutes for small potatoes or 80 to 90 minutes for large potatoes) or until tender. Remove from oven; cool slightly for easier handling.

For small potatoes, cut a thin crosswise slice off both ends of each baked potato. (For large potatoes, cut potatoes in half crosswise. Cut a thin crosswise slice from the round ends of the potatoes.) Scoop pulp from slices; discard skin. Place pulp in a bowl. Carefully scoop pulp from each potato, leaving a 1/4-inch shell. Add pulp to bowl; set shells aside.

Mash the potato pulp. Stir in sour cream or yogurt, cheese, chives, mustard, salt, and pepper. (If necessary, add 1 to 2 tablespoons milk to make of desired consistency.) Stir in hard-cooked eggs. Carefully spoon potato mixture into shells. Stand the potato "eggs" upright in a 2-quart rectangular or square baking dish.

Bake large or small potatoes, uncovered, in a 425 degree F oven about 20 minutes (or in a 325 degree F oven for 35 to 40 minutes) or until heated through and tops are lightly browned. Top with additional whole fresh chives, if desired.