View Full Version : new tp ypu

09-21-2006, 07:46 PM
Hello all. I was diagnosed with discoid lupus last Sept. Lots of syptoms of SLE but docs wont say that yet. Lots of frustration over 9 years to get to this point. Should I stay with family doctors or switch to a specialist? I just hate the thought of another specialists on top of all I have now.

09-22-2006, 08:33 AM
Hi Ricarat :P
First, let me welcome you to our family!
It is usually advisable to have a rheumatologist when you are diagnosed with any autoimmune disease (such as Lupus). A rheumatologist is an internist or pediatrician who is qualified by additional training and experience in the diagnosis and treatment of Lupus, Arthritis and other diseases of the joints, muscles and bones. Many rheumatologists conduct research to determine the cause and better treatments for these disabling and sometimes fatal diseases. Rheumatologists treat arthritis, certain autoimmune diseases, musculoskeletal pain disorders and osteoporosis. There are more than 100 types of these diseases, including rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, gout, lupus, back pain, osteoporosis, fibromyalgia and tendonitis. Some of these are very serious diseases that can be difficult to diagnose and treat with a rheumatologist and almost impossible to do so with a family doctor or general practitioner who has not had the specialized training of a rheumatologist.
It would be better, in the long run, if you do get a referral to a rheumatologist.....the sooner the better.
I hope that I've answered your question
Peace and Blessings