PDA

View Full Version : Hello everyone from Houston, Texas

littlered
09-20-2006, 11:41 AM
I'm new to this site, but want to introduce myself. I'll be fifty (YIKES) on halloween. I was diagnosed with this disease while in my early 30's.
I had just gotten back from a river tube-riding trip and had gotten severely sunburned. I started feeling like I had the flu, except no symptoms...just achy all over...sort of like you feel when you've caught the flu but you're not "sick" yet..no coughing, sore throat, etc.
Anyway, the man that I was married to at the time thought it was all in my head, since I wasn't running fever. Then my knees started hurting. I went to see my (at that time) family GP. He ran test after test after test. My white blood cell count was low, so he thought I had leukemia. Once he ruled that out, it seemed like every diagnosis was made and discarded. I got the feeling he thought I was a hypochondriac.
Finally one day I got the butterfly rash on my face. He looked at me and sighed, "Lupus." Ran some more tests. Since then (almost 20 years ago) I've been through plenty of changes. My EX-husband was a selfish you-know-what who was never sick a day in his life, so he and I were doomed. I'm married now to a wonderful man who understands.
My lupus has gotten worse over the years. They keep constantly adjusting my meds. (By the way, does anyone else hate the way their meds make them feel? I do.) Anyway, sorry for such a long introduction. I'm looking forward to getting to know all here.

TracyDawn
09-20-2006, 12:34 PM
Welcome to the family Little Red. Sorry you have lupus but you've come to a GREAT place for support, info and a gentle hug now and then.
Glad you got rid of the uncaring louse and found a great man. There are really few people that can handle their spouse being sick all the time. When you find the rare one it's a wonderful feeling. Thankfully, after therapy, my dh is great at dealing with this. :)
I've always wanted to go river tubing but now with lupus it's bound to stay on my wish list. By any chance are you close to Marshall TX? That's where I was born but was 3 months old when we left so never have seen it. Ok I'll shut up now, just really wanted to say hello and welcome. :)

littlered
09-20-2006, 01:05 PM
I live in Houston, but was born in Dallas. I know Marshall, nice place. *sigh* there's no place like Texas, is there? We lived in Florida for a short while, but I missed the BBQ too much, LOL.
Yes, my husband is a blessing. He knows when I'm going into flare before I do! I've had to quit working full time because I was in and out of flare so much. The finances are tough, but he never blames me. And he always brings me hot and sour soup (my favorite) when I'm sick. Bless him.

browneyedgirl53
09-21-2006, 12:57 AM
Welcome Littlered,

Sometimes we gotta go through the valleys in our lives to fully appreciate the beautiful blessings that come our way later. You will LOVE the folks here; so many wonderful people here that you will feel right at home very soon. You will find that there are so many very educated people who can share their knowledge about lupus; and we all can share our experiences.

So welcome new friend, take off your shoes and stay awhile. We got a whole lotta lovin goin' on around here :wink:

Much love,
Browneyedgirl

p.s. I tell everyone I'm a southern belle born and raised from Texas - lived in San Antonio. I miss the barbeque too!! But now I sing in the rain in Seattle. :) Again, welcome !!!!

browneyedgirl53
09-21-2006, 12:59 AM
For Littlered;

p.p.s. - My family and I are huge fans of Joel Osteen - my parents in New Mexico always watch his program.

ButterflyRN
09-21-2006, 04:34 AM
Welcome little red! Glad that you found this site and are apart of our lupus group :lol: Everyone here is very supportive and caring of each other. Glad that you have found a wonderful man who is understanding of your disease. I've been blessed by God to have such a wonderful husband myself. I look forward to reading/responding to your posts :D

littlered
09-21-2006, 10:44 AM
Sometimes I think HE needs a support group of his own. I can no longer work (I used to be a classroom teacher, but lupus and other things make that impossible now.) He goes out there everyday earning a living, and grumbles about money but I know that he doesn't blame me. Still, it's hard for him.
He has a super sense of humor. Every time my face gets red, he starts singing, "mmm-mmm good" like the campbells soup kids. Just silly stuff, meant to make me laugh.