PDA

View Full Version : mattress support????????

stardust
09-19-2006, 03:18 PM
I know lots of us deal with arthritis, well, mine is REALLY getting bad.

I think part of the problem could be improper sleeping support.

I have tried a VERY high quality jc penny mattress; boards under my mattress, a memory foam topper. All work for awhile then loose support. I think it must have to do with what joints seem to hurt when, and that fluxuates from day to day.

I'm ready to invest in ths "sleep # mattress because I have HEARD that you can vary support numbers depending on where you need that support. It doesn't have to stay at one number???

But, it is quite an investment soooooooo

I'm wondering if any of you happen to have one, know someone who does,or know of any other ideas.

The last few weeks, I wake up really sore and have to gobblel down Darvaset to even get moving.

I KNOW it's because of the way I'm sleeping. I can tell the difference between THIS and just the "normal hr. or 2 of actual arthritis in the hands and fingers. This is in my back, neck and shoulders.

hope someone may have some tips :) :) :)

thanks, stardust

MARYCAIN
09-19-2006, 05:45 PM
I bought a sleep number mattress for my dad because he has really bad back problems - the first one tore up within a month and started leaking air - the local dealer replaced it with no problems - the replacement one has worked okay so far, but hasn't made an real difference in his back pain, so I don't know if it was worth the investment. It is basically a high-tech air bed, you can adjust the amount of air in the tubes to make it harder or softer, but the surface has the same level of firmness from top to bottom - you can't make the top soft and the middle firm. etc. If you do decide to invest in one, make sure you can get a trial period where you can return it if you don't like it.

I personally sleep on an adjustable electric bed - you can adjust the position of the head, or feet or even the middle. Because of my lung problems, sleeping flat is almost impossible for me. The model I have also comes with heat and massage features - I use the heat feature a lot, especially in winter. It was pricy, but no more so than a high-end mattress set. The only downside I've found is you can't store things under the bed. I also have a couple of body pillows to support my back and knees more, since my knees give me the most problems.

TracyDawn
09-20-2006, 05:45 AM
We have the sleep number bed with the pillow top and we also put a memory foam topper on it. It definitely helped with my pain. Until now but I don't think that has anything to do with the bed. In addition to lupus and fibro, I have two ruptured disks in my back. It really did help with the pain I had in my back every morning so I'd say it's worth a shot. If they'll let you do a trial then even better, but I definitely say it's worth a shot.

Beauchick
09-20-2006, 05:58 AM
I have a temper pedic mattress. I love it. I also keep a lot of pillows on the bed. My husband said we need a bigger bed just for the pillows. :lol:

My husband's grand mother has arthritis really bad in her back, so much, that it has started pressing on her siatic nerve. She has a bed like Marycain. She swears by it.

My husband's chiro. recommends the sleep # bed because of the adjustment ability. We looked into it before we got the temper pedic, and I was not impressed. But then again neither one of us has arthritis. My pain is from lupus and my husband has been installing carpet/floors for over 20 years.

stardust
09-21-2006, 08:40 AM
Well, I decided I will look into that CRAFTMATIC ELECTRED BED. they send you a complete cd and info package & allow a trial.

Also, they told me on the phone that if I get a recomendation from my Rheumy, part of the $ can be considered "medical equipment" and my insurance would pay for part of it. Sort of like those scooters that medicare helps cover.

'm on the medicare plus bcbs program.

So I'm waiting for first step to arrive!!!
thanks for the opinions. the sleep# guy is out of the picture now!!!!
if I want to sleep on AIR, I would just use my AERO mattress we use for company.

MARYCAIN
09-21-2006, 08:48 AM
DEFINITELY CONSIDER THE HEAT OPTION IF YOU HAVE ARTHRITIS OR JOINT PAIN - THAT IS ONE FEATURE I WOULD NOT WANT TO GIVE UP!

TracyDawn
09-21-2006, 08:50 AM
ROFL on the aero mattress. ;) Let us know how you like the craftmatic. Never know when I might want to upgrade. ;)

janefrances
09-23-2006, 07:58 PM
I looooove my sleep number bed. I have lupus, bad osteoarthritis, scoliosis and fibormyalgia. After 30 years of marriage, my husband and I were faced with separate beds, because he needed a much firmer matress than I did. This really solved our problem. If you want a test run, I think most Radisson hotels have these mattresses available; they might not be in every room, so be sure to ask. It's not cheap to stay in a hotel, but it's a lot cheaper than buying an expensive matress you don't like. I do believe they have a test period too, like 30 days and money back if not happy; ask the salesperson about this. My sister recently bought a sleep number (ours is a few yrs old) and they now have them with the electric bed features, too. I will say it takes a little getting used to. the guy who delivered and set up for us told us to give it a chance, at least a couple of weeks. Now it's hard to not sleep in one when we travel. But I am sure it's all to one's taste; I tried the memory foam and absolutely hated it, while most folks really like it. These are expensive beds, but sometimes they have sales of discontinued models.

littlered
09-26-2006, 09:57 AM
This is soooo 70's of me, but I have a waterbed. I had one about 20 years ago, then switched to a regular mattress, but started having terrible neck/joint pain. Then we spent the night at my stepson's house in a waterbed and I felt terrific. It's heated, which definitely helps. We keep it VERY full so it's firm and not so squishy.
:oops: Ok, y'all quit laffin at me now. :(

TracyDawn
09-26-2006, 12:51 PM
not laughing littlered. we had one until about 5 years ago cause my pain started getting worse and worse so we got rid of it. LOVED the heat part of it tho. whatever works is what I say. :)

MARYCAIN
09-26-2006, 01:41 PM
I always wanted a waterbed but figured with 4 boys, 2 cats and various other critters with claws and teeth, I was just asking for a disaster. I have a crazy cat who thinks she's a dog and chews on everything - I can just see her sinking her teeth into the mattress and flooding the house.

stardust
09-26-2006, 01:45 PM
OH GOSH !!!!

SO MANY CHOICES !!!!

At this point , after putting together ALL of you guy's suggestions I find myself most focussed on the "Craftmatic Adjustabele" WITH the heat option.

I am awaiting my package from them with my free cd explaining the whole deal.

I HAVE to do SOMETHING SOON because My back, neck and shoulders really bother me at night, and we all know how important a proper night's sleep is for us!!!!

I will sOOOOOOO keep you all updated !!!!!!

thanks for the opinions!!!

stardust