PDA

View Full Version : Heart and Kidney Problems

psalm 56 3
09-15-2006, 09:54 AM
Has anyone here had fluid around their heart and kidney problems?[/i]

browneyedgirl53
09-15-2006, 10:13 AM
Hi Psalm,

Welcome to our "family", I do have lupus pericarditis and suffer from chronic kidney disease and have had kidney failure twice.

Our moderators, Saysusie and St. James will be stopping in to welcome you and I am certain they will be providing you with great information. There are so so many people on this site, that can give you lots of information about both issues you are wanting to know more about.

Stay strong, hold on and let us be your wings when you're too tired to fly.

It's nice to have you here; so kick off your shoes and stay awhile - you'll fall in love with these people - they're the best in the world.

Take care and stay connected.

Much love,
Browneyedgirl
Browneyedgirl

SoleSinger
09-15-2006, 10:46 AM
I have had water around my LUNGS and kidney problems... and was told if I had waited any longer I would have had water around my heart, as well...

psalm 56 3
09-15-2006, 11:00 AM
You have no idea how greatful I am to hear from you. I have been suffering in silence for awhile. I did not want my husband or family to know because I knew they would force me to go to the hospital. My insurance will reject this given I have only had it for 4 months. I have felt like I was going to have a heart attack for the last 2 months. I would go to sleep at night not knowing if I was going to wake up. Finally I broke down and told my family. I had an ecocardiogram that showed the fluid around my heart, which explains the pain. I just found this out on 9/13. I will see my internist on Monday. I really am scared. I am not ready to leave this world right now. I am not one to ask or accept help but right now I will take it. My wings are too tired to fly......Love right back to all of you.

ButterflyRN
09-15-2006, 02:38 PM
Hi psalm! When I was first diagnosed as a child I had fluid around my heart and in my lungs. They were able to resolve it with days of IV diuretics while I was hospitalized. Sorry you are having pain! I will keep you in my prayers.

browneyedgirl53
09-15-2006, 04:20 PM
Oh Psalm56,

I wish I could reach through this screen and give you a big hug. Listen, we are most afraid when we don't know what to expect.....that's very common for people to do. And my friend, we ALL have been scared at one time or another - it's nature!!

Write down all those questions that are rushing through your mind. Share your worries and concerns with the doctor. ASK A LOT OF QUESTIONS.
We are so glad that you're here. You have a wonderful network of people that know what you're going through; and some of us have walked this road before you, and we can help you through this course.
There's more love and understanding on this site, than any other support site you will ever find.

Our moderators, Saysusie and St. James will be here to introduce themselves.....and I promise, you won't be disappointed - they are very caring, knowledge people who only have your best and safest interest at heart.

So come on in and stay awhile....I think you'll grow to love this family of ours. We laugh, we cry, we debate...and we share; we care....and we all remind each other that HOPE is an action; it's not just a word.

So, welcome home new friend. You have a lot of new friends here; we're glad you chose to visit and we hope you'll stay.

Much love,
Browneyedgirl

beautifulbeluga
09-15-2006, 05:19 PM
Hi Psalm:

Please don't feel you need to suffer in silence as that tends to only make our fears worse. We are all here to support you, encourage you, send you hugs and send up prayers from all over the world.

Monday, will come soon and I really wish you the best and that your new symptom will be taken care of quickly and efficiently.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Beautifulbeluga

psalm 56 3
09-15-2006, 07:09 PM
I cannot thank all of you enough for your kind words and encouragement. I think God lead me to this site. I have actually been given some peace. I will definitely ask a lot of questions on Monday. Just as I pray for myself I will pray for all of you. I am so blessed to find others who believe in God as I do. There is no way I would be able to get through this without him. I will make sure to let all of you know what my doctor says. Again thank all of you so much and God Bless each and every one of you....

Joey
09-15-2006, 09:57 PM
Hello Psalm. I am glad you showed me this website. I will be able to learn a lot while "riding" along. We are all saying our prayers for you to get better. And, they are right, Monday will come soon enough. Just rest as much as you can until then. You have a tremendous support group in here with these other courageous folks. You also have a cheering section down in Texas. Keep close to God for he still has a plan for you. Don't forget that.

Saysusie
09-16-2006, 04:46 AM
Hi Psalm :B-fly:
First, let me welcome you to our family where, as you have seen, everyone is supportive, informative and caring. We are here to help you through the maze of Lupus and to answer any questions that you may have and hopefully alleviate some of your fears. We especially want you to know that you are not alone and we all understand what you are feeling!

Pericarditis is a common symptom of Lupus. In fact, Pericarditis, or inflammation of the sac around the heart, is the most common heart involvement in people with lupus. This condition occurs when antigen-antibody complexes-also known as immune complexes-are made during active lupus and cause inflammation within the pericardium. The pericardium is a thin layer of specialized tissue that covers the outer surfaces of the heart. This tissue helps to anchor the heart in place, prevents excessive movement of the heart in the chest when body position changes, protects the heart from infections and tumors that develop in and may spread from adjacent tissues, and may help keep the heart from enlarging. Inflammation of the pericardium is called pericarditis. Pericarditis frequently causes a pain that can be alarming and frightening. Pericarditis can develop in patients with diseases in which the immune system becomes pathologically overactive, such as rheumatoid arthritis and lupus.
However, Some medications can trigger an immune response that causes pericarditis. These medications include the antituberculosis medicine isoniazid (Nydrazid®), the hypertension and heart failure medicine hydralazine (Apresoline®), the antibiotic penicillin, the antiarrhythmic agent procainamide (Procanbid®, Pronestyl®), and the seizure medication phenytoin (Dilantin®).
The most common symptom of pericarditis is chest pain. Breathing causes the lungs and heart to move in the chest and rub against the irritated pericardium, worsening the pain. Pain may worsen when you lie down and may improve when you sit up and lean forward. Changes in position can increase or decrease pressure on and irritation of the inflamed pericardium.
Lupus pericarditis usually causes fluid to accumulate between the pericardium and the heart (called pericardial effusion). If enough fluid builds up quickly in this space, it can "compress" the heart's chambers. This sometimes leads to shortness of breath (dyspnea). The development of dyspnea is a matter of concern because it may indicate that the amount of fluid is reaching a critical point and, therefore, requires urgent medical treatment.
TREATMENT: In most cases, Lupus pericarditis is treated with anti-inflammatory drugs. If anti-inflammatory drug therapy is unsuccessful, a brief course of corticosteroid treatment is usually prescribed (for example prednisone). Azathioprine, an immunosuppressant, can be used in people who do not respond to steroid treatment.
I am glad that you are seeing your doctor on Monday and that you are taking Browneyed girls advise about making a list of your questions and concerns and taking them to the doctor with you. Best of Luck at your appointment and take very good care of yourself!

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

psalm 56 3
09-16-2006, 09:18 AM
Thank you so much SaySusie for all the information. I am sure you know just how helpful it is. Just to know there are people who are still out there with this helps enormously! No one would tell me very much and I was terrified. What a blessing this site is, along with all the members. I thank God I found you...Browneyed girl I wish I could give you a hug right back!

psalm 56 3
09-18-2006, 05:38 PM
I went to my internist today. I gave her a list of symptoms I was having and she dismissed everyone of them. She said she was more concerned about my heart right now and would deal with everything else later. I gave her a copy of my echocardiogram and she said she wanted another one. I agreed to go to the hospital and have another one done along with a chest x-ray. She ordered an EKG on the spot which came out fine. She said she would see me back in a month. I understand her concern for my heart but don't you think she should have at least acknowledged the Lupus symptoms? She said it was in my chart that I have Lupus and I have that Mylar rash, which right now is a bright pink. I told her I was having pain under my right rib and she did not seem concerned at all. She did have me give them a urine sample. I guess I need not make more out of this than there is. I am just stumped as to what I am supposed to do now. I hate the waiting game.

Saysusie
09-19-2006, 08:21 AM
Don't give up! Be persistent! Take that list with you everytime that you see her and let her know that, even if she is not concerned abut the Lupus symptoms..YOU ARE!!!
I understand that she wants to get a handle on what is going on with you heart immediately and that is important. But, don't give up on your list! If you keep your list in front of her, she will not be able to continue to dismiss it.
The fact that she did run tests after you explained some of your symptoms says that she is listening to you. However, she has set her priorities (your heart) and everything else is taking a back seat..for now.
Continue to keep track of your symptoms and to take your list with you to your appointments!!

I wish you the best :lol:
Saysusie

psalm 56 3
09-19-2006, 10:38 AM
Thank you for the advice and words of encouragement. I understand her priority too, but right now it is not helping me. I feel like I am in a fog. I woke up around 2 am feeling like I was going to have a heart attack. I am tired, everything takes so much effort. I see why we can become depressed. I am so curious about things. Like why is it that you can touch my left hand and it is like ice and yet the right one is as warm as can be? When I am having chest pain I also feel pain shooting down the back side of my left leg. I have NO answers to any of my questions!! AAARRRRGGGG Okay sorry for the fit. Tomorrow is another day.