PDA

View Full Version : pain medications???

veryconfused
09-15-2006, 07:33 AM
Is it so wrong to treat pain with percocet?...I do have lupus sjrogren's syndrome....bulging disks in back....herenitated disk in neck......plus on top of all ... I have hardening of the arteries....which will need surgery very soon......I know percocet is not the answer ... but it does make it tolerable to get through the day.... not looking for excusee to take it....just trying to get through days....have 2 kids....don't want mommy to be in bed all the time.....I want to be able to live life.....
I do take plaquenil......but CANNOT take predisone....my chlorestrol level is way to high....which I'm told to not take.....I also have problems with naprosin....asprin....and others.....meds. I can take are limited!

Saysusie
09-15-2006, 09:54 AM
Percocet contains Oxycodone (a narcotic analgesic, pain-reliever) and a cough suppressant, and Acetaminophen (a non-narcotic analgesic and antipyretic, fever reducer). Combined together they provide greater pain relief than either taken separately. Percocet contains a narcotic and, even if taken only in prescribed amounts, can cause physical and psychological dependence when taken for a long time.
Oxycodone binds to the pain receptors in the brain so that the sensation of pain is reduced. Acetaminophen halts the production of prostaglandins which otherwise cause pain. It is available in tablet, capsule, and liquid form and is taken every 6 hours by mouth.
Since oxycodone can be habit forming, care must be taken to follow the doctor's instructions when taking Percocet. Do not take a larger dose, or take it more frequently, or take it for longer than your doctor has prescribed.
Percocet was originally given in fairly high doses, but as of 1999, it is now given in three new doses which gives doctors more flexibility in prescribing the drug for pain and in adjusting the dosage to pain severity and specific patient response. Again, you should take Percocet cautiously and only according to your doctor's instructions because it does contain a narcotic. If you have ever had a problem with alcohol addiction, make sure your doctor is aware of it. If you have experienced a head injury, consult your doctor before taking Percocet. The effects of Percocet may be stronger for people with head injuries, and using it may delay recovery. If you have stomach problems, such as an ulcer, check with your doctor before taking Percocet. Percocet may hide the symptoms of stomach problems, making them difficult to diagnose and treat.
If you have ever had liver, kidney, thyroid gland, or Addison's disease (a disease of the adrenal glands), difficulty urinating, or an enlarged prostate, consult your doctor before taking Percocet.
Elderly people or those in a weakened condition or compromised immune systems (such as Lupus) should take Percocet cautiously.

I hope that this has been helpful...please be very careful with this drug and take it only with your doctor's awareness and instructions!

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

veryconfused
09-15-2006, 02:01 PM
Thank you for your reply.."Elderly people or those in a weakened condition or compromised immune systems (such as Lupus) should take Percocet cautiously." I do have lupus and take percocet is this okay? I know your not my dr. but any info is helpful.
Thanks again!

Saysusie
09-16-2006, 05:33 AM
Was Percocet prescibed to you by your doctor? Is he the same doctor who is treating your Lupus?
I cannot tell you if it is all right for you to use Percocet. I would suggest that your lupus doctor (hopefully, a rheumatologist) is aware that you are taking Percocet and that he is the one who prescribed it. If not, the doctor who prescribed it should be made aware of the fact that you do have Lupus and what your other medications are.
Basically, you should not use the drug without your doctors knowledge, guidance and monitoring!

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

carolfer
11-10-2006, 01:34 AM
hi i have not heard of percocet does it work that well if so i might ask my gp about it. carolferxx