PDA

View Full Version : hair dyes and lupus

sara
09-15-2006, 02:16 AM
hi everyone

i wonder if any one here has used permanent hair colours and felt worsening of lupus symptoms ? i am undecided whether to go for permanent dyes or natural colouring agents like henna though i am more keen on the former because of their easy application..I am told that some amount of dye( whether chemical or natural) does go inside the body through the pores in the scalp so i am unsure whether it would affect lupus or not...

any advice would be helpful...

thanks

beautifulbeluga
09-15-2006, 06:22 AM
Hi Sara:

I wanted to reply to your post regarding hair dye and lupus. I had been dying my hair for many years due to premature greying that runs in my family. I was using permanent color in the color of auburn. My joint symptoms, fatigue, and flu like symptoms were greatly increasing. Also I began having more head sores and mouth sores especially around the time I would color my hair. Finally, I began to have breathing problems and chest pain. At first I ignored these symptoms, after all I had been coloring my hair forever but finally after a specially bad attack where I thought my husband would have to take me to the hospital I reluctantly quit going to the hairdresser for coloring.

I do not know if there is a connection between hair color and lupus however for myself I definitely know there is a connection for me. Although It has been difficult to let my grey show through my personal choice for myself was not to take any more chances than I have to. Hair chemicals are very toxic and chemicals tend to build and stay in the body for a long time.

SoleSinger
09-15-2006, 08:07 AM
I have heard people with experiences like BeautifulBeluga's... For me, it doesn't worsen my symptoms... But, I do find that I am more sensitive to the smell when i am applying it. I was a hairdresser for years, so to be sensitive to the smell all of a sudden is weird, but it goes away once it's applied.

It could be different for everyone, OR it might depend on what color brand you are using. Are you using a grocery store brand, or a professional brand? Within that which brand are you using? Some are definitely harsher than others... It would be cool to be able to do an experiment with a bunch of different variables... As long as no one got sick... I'm babbling... SHUT UP JILLIAN! :D:D:D:D

Hope that helps some!!

sara
09-15-2006, 09:34 AM
Hi Sara:

I wanted to reply to your post regarding hair dye and lupus. I had been dying my hair for many years due to premature greying that runs in my family. I was using permanent color in the color of auburn. My joint symptoms, fatigue, and flu like symptoms were greatly increasing. Also I began having more head sores and mouth sores especially around the time I would color my hair. Finally, I began to have breathing problems and chest pain. At first I ignored these symptoms, after all I had been coloring my hair forever but finally after a specially bad attack where I thought my husband would have to take me to the hospital I reluctantly quit going to the hairdresser for coloring.

I do not know if there is a connection between hair color and lupus however for myself I definitely know there is a connection for me. Although It has been difficult to let my grey show through my personal choice for myself was not to take any more chances than I have to. Hair chemicals are very toxic and chemicals tend to build and stay in the body for a long time.

did you have the same reaction with henna too?

peach224
09-15-2006, 09:43 AM
I found that I was having some reaction to having my hair colored, so I tried an experiment and switched to highlighting or weaving, where the stylist applies color to sections of my hair, on foil with a brush, and then folds the foil over while it sets. I have a much better time that way.

It doesn't cover my whole head, but the smell is much reduced, the dye barely touches my skin at all, just a couple of tiny drops here and there, and I am much happier. My stylist is so good now that she is extra careful with me and the last couple of times she hasn't gotten any on my skin at all. I also find that I can experiment with colors and give myself a "pick me up" when I am feeling down.

browneyedgirl53
09-15-2006, 10:30 AM
EVERYONE REPEAT AFTER ME.......GREY IS GOOD !!!
One more time....out loud.....grey is good
And again, grey is good and grey is my friend :lol: :lol: :lol:

I had much of the same as beautifulbeluga - and hair falling out as well.
My dermatologist said, that the dye indeed does penetrate into the hair follicles and yes, people do experience all kinds of symptoms, while others may not.

When most of my hair fell out, I decided "what the monkey do", I'll let it grow back in naturally. It is all silver - *(notice the nice name).... :lol:
I am always surprised when people come up to me and say how much they love my hair (and all the while, I thought I was looking about 80).

Let the grey in, and let your heart shine outward. It's your beautiful smile, it's your loving spirit; and THAT'S what everyone will love you for.

SO BE BOLD.....BE GRAY!!!
WE'LL ALL LOVE YOU THAT WAY !!! :wink:
Much love,
Browneyedgirl

Laura07
09-15-2006, 10:38 AM
I dye my hair. From light brown to blond. And the only thing I notice is trouble breathing and lots of mucus the few days to a week following. I've only gotten it done once since my diagnosis, so next time I will look out for weird symptoms.

beautifulbeluga
09-15-2006, 12:03 PM
Hi again Sara:

In answer to your question about henna. No, I have never tried that but I did try what Peach suggested she does successfully and that is just highlights or streaks. I had the same reaction with that even though as mentioned not as much dye touches the scalp. I have heard that red dye's are the worst for reactions but I really didn't want to risk any further complications so I just quit dying. I have also heard of women having similar problems with perms but I never get one so I really don't know.

I have noticed that many chemicals now bother me from cleaning products, to perfumes, paints, gas, smoke etc. I am not sure if I am the only one but now I find that exposure really puts me into a flare.

Good luck with you decision.

ButterflyRN
09-15-2006, 02:35 PM
I've dyed my hair for years and it never bothered me. I guess we are all different.

Leigh Anne Johnson
09-15-2006, 02:42 PM
I too dye my hair regularly, I have since I was ... 13yrs old. I know my family didn't seem to mind. I will never let my daughter dye her hair. I would love to stop, but I am only 29 and if I don't dye, I don't get carded. But I began to get premature grey about 16yrs old and I have dyed ever since. I also get sores on my head about a week after I dye my hair. ( Didn't think of that as a symptom until today, Things that make you go Hum!) My mother and I both swear that our hair is only grey because of the dye. Anyways I have read a lot of stuff online and I have found that a lot of researchers say that hair dye is a trigger for autoimmune diseases. All I did to find these sites was under Google I typed hair dye and autoimmune disease. You can look at Pub-Med or most any medical research report site. Hope this helps.

Most things you think are useless, really are if you don't share them.

Beauchick
09-15-2006, 03:45 PM
I just had my hair dyed today actually. I use a color called " blowed out burgandy" and then I had deeper red streaks put in the front. I have been dying my hair since I was 12. Bleaching seems much more harsh to me because it is a stronger developer. I have been every color in the rainbow, except black, I don't think I could pull it off. I have not noticed any difference in the way I feel when I dye my hair. Then again, I feel like crap all the time anyway so maybe I should say I don't feel worse.

overit
09-16-2006, 08:41 AM
Last time I saw the rheumy, I told him if it was going to fall out anyway, I wanted it to look pretty in the meantime so I dyed it. I swear he wrote "IN DENIAL" in my medical record!

I had heard about the possible connection to triggering lupus initially, but not so much about triggering flares. Hmm. I've been dying for the last couple of years (figured I already had lupus...denial again huh?) and lupus has remained mild. I use the shorter acting versions with natural color. Also I tend to not care what I look like when I don't feel well, thus it's not as frequent as most.

Anyway, grey roots (all in a big clump right in front) are starting to show again, but busy fighting off pleurisy right now, so maybe I'll wait another week!

Overit

vernb2
09-16-2006, 10:58 AM
Everyone repeat after me HAIR IS GOOD! I had been dying my hair but now with the Lupus my hair is falling out so much I do as little as possible to it! Will it grow back? I use steriod drops on my scalp which seems to have slowed it down some :?:

SoleSinger
09-16-2006, 11:16 AM
Nioxin shampoo and conditioner will help slow down the hair loss, and may even help it grow back... There are several posts on this some where... I'll see if I can find them for you! :D

vernb2
09-16-2006, 11:20 AM
BLESS YOU! I feel like crap...do I have to look like crap too? :lol:

SoleSinger
09-16-2006, 12:08 PM
http://wehavelupus.com/message-board-forum/viewtopic.php?t=1355&highlight=nioxin

http://wehavelupus.com/message-board-forum/viewtopic.php?t=1365&highlight=nioxin

beautifulbeluga
09-17-2006, 07:37 AM
This topic is a huge issue for many as you can see by the response to the initial post. Like others who posted I started to dye my hair in my early 20's I think and once I started I continued until 4 years ago. I am perhaps quite a bit older than many who post here being 58. So that makes approximately 20 years of hair dye (give or take a few years) and in the beginning years I did not have any symptoms either. It was only with years upon years of chemicals I began to run into problems. Really, there are chemicals everywhere. So, what I could originally do I later could not tolerate.

Did all those years of chemicals cause my auto-immune disease, who knows but for sure it probably didn't help. What is known to me now as I reflect back is that with each passing year my symptoms increased.

It is very hard to be chronically ill for sure but it is equally difficult to make choices in our lives to eliminate things or habits that others seem to be able to get away with. I really loved my beautiful auburn hair blowing in the wind catching the bouncing sun rays as I walked out on the tarmac to catch my weekly flight. Never a day went by (no kidding) that someone wouldn't comment on my once beautiful hair.

Do I miss the color of my hair ......yes!
Do I miss giving up the job I loved....yes!
Do I miss being able to splash on perfume and smell so good...yes!
Do I miss using bounce in my dryer and having my clothes smell so nice......yes!
Do I miss all the other things I had to give up or lost due to this illness.....Yes

It somehow just doesnt seem fair but that's it isn't it life is not always fair.

pstrand1
09-25-2006, 12:18 PM
I wish I had your courage to go gray. I have been highlighting my hair for year, but now i think its time to let it go..
I never made the connection to the flare and the haircoloring until now.. but looking back i can see it!!

wish me luck!

vernb2
09-25-2006, 12:32 PM
I have more courage to go gray than bald! I dont want to cause my hair any more trauma than it already has. Gray hair is better than no hair!

littlered
09-26-2006, 08:39 AM
I don't know if I have any gray because I dye it before i can spot it, LOL.
I do find that I am very sensitive to the smell and my mouth tingles when I do touch-up. I don't dye it at all when I'm in flare. Heck, when I'm in flare, I only do what MUST be done because I don't have the energy.
I use Feria because it seems to me that the smell isn't as strong.

sara
09-26-2006, 09:26 PM
hi everyone!

I have done a bit of research ever since i posted my query about hair dyes. After reading your responses, i felt it best to stay away from permanent dyes and explore the other option which is henna. i dont know how popular is henna in the west but here in the east it is extensively used to colour hair and decorating hands and feet. So off i went to a reputed parlour to know abt its pros and cons and here is what i was told..

1. Henna is natural,vegetable, semi permanent hair colour which doesnt contain chemicals like ammonia which can harm you.

2. Unlike chemical hair dyes, henna doesnt permeate the hair shaft but coats it from outside.

3. last but most attractive advantage is that you can use it as a nourishing pack for your hair by adding lemon juice for shine, fenugreek powder for conditioning and egg/yoghurt for nourishment. it also helps prevent dandruff, hairfall and itching due to dryness of scalp.

The one and only disadvantage i feel is that putting it on for 2-3 hours and washing it off is a messy business but for those of us who are not bold enough to go grey, this is an option worth exploring..

take care

SoleSinger
09-26-2006, 10:27 PM
Well... yeah... But from a professional stand point, henna is no better for your hair... Insome aspects it may be worse... Henna, as you said, coats the hair shaft... Your hair has things that are like the pores on your skin, called the cuticle which is what allows your hair to absorb moisture, protein, oil, etc. Everything you need for healthy hair. (These things also help your color last longer) Henna is like coating your hair in wax. (Also, if you use pantene prov you ARE coating your hair in wax.) Doing this not only damages the hair because it cannot absorb the nutrients it needs, but keeps it from expanding and contracting with temperature and humidity... Basically, it suffocates the hair. So, the condition of your hair will not improve. Plus, the coating effect that henna has on your hair makes it just as bad as grocery store brands which have metallic salts in them, because their damaging effects don't go away until the hair is cut off. Where as with professional products, the damage the chemicals cause can be reconstructed. If you want "natural" hair color, your best bet is an Aveda salon. All of their products are natural, and do not contain ammonia.

Sorry to rain on the parade.

sara
09-27-2006, 11:12 PM
[quote="SoleSinger"]Well... yeah... But from a professional stand point, henna is no better for your hair... Insome aspects it may be worse... Henna, as you said, coats the hair shaft... Your hair has things that are like the pores on your skin, called the cuticle which is what allows your hair to absorb moisture, protein, oil, etc. Everything you need for healthy hair. (These things also help your color last longer) Henna is like coating your hair in wax. (Also, if you use pantene prov you ARE coating your hair in wax.) Doing this not only damages the hair because it cannot absorb the nutrients it needs, but keeps it from expanding and contracting with temperature and humidity... Basically, it suffocates the hair. So, the condition of your hair will not improve. Plus, the coating effect that henna has on your hair makes it just as bad as grocery store brands which have metallic salts in them, because their damaging effects don't go away until the hair is cut off. Where as with professional products, the damage the chemicals cause can be reconstructed. If you want "natural" hair color, your best bet is an Aveda salon. All of their products are natural, and do not contain ammonia.

Sorry to rain on the parade.[/quote

Solesinger, i dont want to contradict you but as per my knowledge, the only part of hair which is alive is the hair follicle which lies below the scalp, rest of the shaft is the "dead part" so whatever treatment we do to the shaft wont effect it as long as it doesnt penetrate the follicle which controls the growth and quality of the hair. the nutrients too are not absorbed by the hair cuticle but by the follicle which takes nutrients from the blood supplying the scalp..... . which is why i felt henna is more advantageous since it coats only the surface.... anyways, i already applied henna pack yesterday on my hair, so i will get first hand info. whether it had damaged or helped in any way :D :D

SoleSinger
09-28-2006, 07:08 AM
It isn't alive, however the cuticle does expand and contract still, and your hair does still need moisture, oil, and protein in order to not be porous and weak. Why do you put shampoo and conditioner on your whole head instead of just your scalp, if your hair does not absorb the nutrients from it? Your hair outside of your scalp is like a sponge, and can get dry and brittle without the proper nutrients to strengthen it.

kimb
10-02-2006, 12:36 PM
The first time I dyed my hair-June 05, 3 months after diagnosis. I did get a rash and feel yucky a few days later. But my rheum. says he doent think the chemicals in dyes are responsible.???? I think everyone is different!
kimb

vernb2
10-02-2006, 01:10 PM
Well I finally found a place in town that sells Nioxin...and a friend with a license to go with me. I must praise the Lord as I was doubtful I could afford the hair care stuff. Lo and behold the Nioxin was 40% OFF! I got the 33 oz shampoo for $11.39, the 8.5 oz condtioner for $5.99 and the starter kit with the scalp treatment for $11.25. I was so thrilled...now I just hope it works! I also started using the Mirracil last week...so far not much of a change but I hope and pray!

GinaCanada
08-08-2013, 02:19 PM
Hi everyone

so pleased to join this group - heading towards grey hair but need some work with my hairdresser to get there. Hope it turns out to be "silver".