PDA

View Full Version : Warning about bagged spinach - linked to e-coli outbreak

MARYCAIN
09-14-2006, 04:27 PM
For those who missed it on the news - the FDA is warning people not to use those precleaned bags of spinach you find in the stores - they have been linked to an e-coli outbreak in 7 states, but they haven't tracked down the source of the contamination yet. Since our screwy immune systems put us at risk for this type of thing, thought I would pass this along in case anybody likes spinach salad as much as I do - my two bags of spinach just went into the garbage. I guess I'll be eating my mandarin oranges without the spinach for a while.

ButterflyRN
09-14-2006, 04:38 PM
That's happened with the pre-packaged lettuce in the past. i always wash it even through they say they clean it. Better to be safe than sorry!
Thanks for the info Marycain! :D

Saysusie
09-14-2006, 04:44 PM
I had e-coli several years ago which ended up with 10 days in the hospital on major anti-biotics. I don't think I've ever been that sick, even on my worst days with hospitalization with Lupus!!! My husband and I could not figure out how I contracted it until we researched and found that bagged lettuce, spinach etc. was probably the culprit. I've never purchased any bagged produce since then :?
Once bitten..twice shy (lol)

Thanx for the heads-up!!

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

MARYCAIN
09-14-2006, 04:55 PM
My doctor warned me about hamburger meat, which I don't eat anyway, and also canteloupe and watermelon, which because of the high water content can be easily contaminated with e-coli and also have very high levels of pesticides, but he never mentioned spinach.

Butterfly, as I understand it, washing the spinach or lettuce might not necessarily help, because the fruit or vegetable might have actually absorbed the bacteria or contaminant - remember the old science experiement where you put the celery stalk into the water with the food coloring and watch the celery change color? I think the e-coli contamination basically works the same way.