PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice, please

peach224
09-12-2006, 01:51 PM
I have to go to my rhuemy tomorrow morning for an eye exam (for my DMV report that I have to go to court and fight for my driver's license back...but that's another story for another time). Anyway, I was wondering if there was some diplomatic way that I could go about bringing up the fact that my shoulder is still killing me and has actually gotten worse since the last time I saw him two weeks ago. I know that I am going in tomorrow on a rush basis for a 10-minute "do me a favor" kind of thing and I don't want to push my luck, so to speak, but I don't want to wait until I see him again in October either.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Saysusie
09-12-2006, 02:00 PM
I always say that our health is so much more important than our doctor's impatience or frustration with us. When you see him, tell him that there are two primary reasons that you needed to see him in a hurry. One is your eyes for your DMV test and the other is the constant pain in your shoulder that has, to date, not subsided.
Sometimes, also, we have to exacerbate our symptoms in order for our doctors to take us seriously. So, tell him that you do not think that you can deal with the pain any longer and you want him to find out exactly what is causing it and you want him to start treatment. If that means scheduling you for tests, then you want him to do that.
My biggest recommendation is always "Be aggressive with your doctors. You are the only person who can insist that you are taken seriously and you are the only persons who can insist that they listen to you!"
My approach is always straight-forward, no holding back and aggressive (not pushy, but insistent) with my doctors. I always write down what I want to discuss with them and I do not leave until we have addressed everything on my list!
I hope this has been helpful. I really feel that you should just tell him your issues and tell him that you want him to treat you for those issues!!

I wish you the best!
Saysusie

browneyedgirl53
09-12-2006, 02:10 PM
Hi Peach,

ABSOLUTELY.....remember my friend, he works for you !!! You're the reason he's in business, and you're the reason he chose this profession.

Great balls of fire girlfriend, ASK NOW OR SUFFER IN SILENCE.....it's your choice! Don't ever hesitate to ask for and get the help you need....ever!!
It's better that you address and discuss it now - before it does turn into something bigger and more costly.

As a courtesy, you may want to acknowledge that you understand that he's on a tight schedule, however, the pain you're dealing with is beginning to be too much - you may want to ask him if there is something he can do currently for immediate relief and that you will be happy to schedule a more indepth follow up.

That's my two and a half cents worth of advice. I hope you find some relief, pain is never good company. Thanks for keeping in touch.

Much love,
Browneyedgirl

peach224
09-13-2006, 09:00 AM
Well, it turns out the doctor wasn't even in the office this morning. He had one of his assistants do the eye exam and gave me the paperwork I needed, and then I was shuffled off. Ahhh, more than a little frustrated. I think I need regroup and form another plan of attack. I really like this doctor, especially in the beginning, I really felt like he was listening.

stardust
09-13-2006, 11:57 AM
Call him tomorrow!!!
keep calling until YOU get an answer!!!!!!

I was hesitant like you too in the beginning, feeling like I was a pest or some overly annoying patient; but eventually I realized MY pain issues were what mattered, YES, I'm paying HIM!!!!!!

stjames13
09-14-2006, 05:28 AM
8)
DON:T EVER FORGET......YOU:RE THE BOSS NOT THE DOCTOR .

HE WORKS FOR YOU.....AND DITTO TO WHAT SUZ SAID !!!!!

THAT DOC is making plenty of cash off you and his other patients.

If he can;t take an extra 10 minutes to talk to you well then maybe it's time to FIRE HIM and get another DOCTOR who realizes that without you and his other patients he woud not be driving his nice car and have a nice big house !!!!!!!

STJAMES :lol: