PDA

View Full Version : New Dr. Thinks it's Sjogren's.

Leigh Anne Johnson
09-12-2006, 07:24 AM
Hello to all! :D The new doctor that I saw yesterday thinks that all of my symptoms add up to Sjogren's. But I'm still not convinced. While my mouth is sometimes dry and I do get itch eyes and have naturally dry skin. None of that has ever been so bad that I would ever have thought it was a problem, and from what I read online about Sjogren's, those things would be pretty bad. My main concern is the funny sensations all over my body and the strange type of migraines, joint pain, fatigue, And the brain Scaring. There are more but that's just the main ones. But must say, I like this new Dr. I have faith that He is going to get to the root. I told him that I was tired of hearing that it was all in my head, and he replied very disgusted, "Its not in your head!" At that moment The Little me in my head screamed "I'm In Love!!!" :angel: Cloud Nine!! I read a post from the beginning of Aug. about funny blister like bubble in the mouth. I get that all the time on the inside of my cheek. It Never bothered me thought. I keep realizing that a lot of things I would have never thought to be a symptom, are. Anyone have a thought about the Sjogren's or blister?

FAITH IS A TRUST, A TRUST IN LOVE , THAT LOVE AND TRUST WILL BRING YOU HOME TO FAITH!

MARYCAIN
09-12-2006, 08:13 AM
Many people think Sjogrens just causes dry mouth and eyes, but it is an autoimmune disorder which, like lupus, can cause a range of symptoms from mild to severe. Sjogrens can cause skin, nose, and vaginal dryness, and may affect other organs of the body including the kidneys, blood vessels, lungs, liver, pancreas, and brain. It can also cause disabling fatigue and joint pain, swelling of the parotid glands, hoarseness, and trouble swallowing.

Your doctor may recommend additional tests such as a schimmers test which measures tear production, and possibly a biopsy to pin down the diagnosis. Like lupus, there is currently no cure for sjogrens - treatment is mainly aimed at helping the symptoms. In severe cases your doctor may prescribe steroids or immunosuppresants.

If you have sjogrens, good oral hygiene is a must because sjogrens can cause severe and rapid tooth decay and other gum and mouth problems. It's best to consult with a dentist who is knowledgeable about sjogrens, and follow his recommendations. Avoid alcohol-based mouthcare products like some mouthwashes because they make the problem worse. Biotene, Rembrandt and Tom's of Maine all make good-alcohol-free products, or your dentist make recommend something. I also like glycerine mouth swabs, and Thayers' dry mouth spray and lozenges. It's tempting to suck on hard candy or cough drops when your mouth is dry, but most of these have a very high sugar content, which is bad. Remember that sugar-free products often have the same calorie counts as the real things, plus many are sweetened with sorbitol or manitol, which can cause diarrhea in many people.

It's also important to let yor eye doctor know about your sjogrens, especially if you wear contacts.

Alhough you can have Sjogrens by itself as a primary autoimmune disorder, it's also very common for people with lupus, RA, or other autoimmune diseases to also have sjogrens , so your doctor may want to do other antibody panels and other tests to rule out these other diseases.

Hope this helps.

Leigh Anne Johnson
09-12-2006, 09:08 AM
Thank you! :) Most of it I had already read about, but while I have had several fillings and two root canals, that was because my parents didn't take me to the dentist ever and I rarely brushed my teeth until Jr high school, they never made me. So When I finally could go to the dentist he had plenty of work ahead of him. I don't have dry genitals, or any problems with any organ other than mild fatty liver and mild asthma. I have never had any swallowing issues, (Lord Knows my rear shows it) or gland problems. I don't know I still think it must be MS/Lupus and Questionable Behest's. I have researched Behest's and looked at many of the ulcers. That is exactly what mine look like. And I have had proctitis off and on for a long time. Maybe I'll just Make a list of all my symptoms and even thing that I don't know for sure are symptoms and post them and see what yall think, just like on Prime Time's Medical Mysteries. Then What ever yall come up with I'll ask the doctor to check for, I mean the wealth of combined knowledge and disorders here, Some- thing has to line up. I have almost contacted Prime-time before just hoping for an answer. But I'm too chicken. I have issues with people judging me personally, And I don't want to be on public display like that.

TRUELY KNOWING YOURSELF IS WORTH ALL THE FORTUNES OF THE WORLD.

MARYCAIN
09-12-2006, 09:49 AM
I wasn't sure from your spelling exactly what you meant. If you are talking about Behcet's disease, it's pretty rare in the U.S., although it is common in the Middle East, Japan and some Asian countries.

You are right that Behcet's does cause mouth ulcers - called aphthous ulcers. Almost all people with Behcet's get these ulcers.
most people with Behcet's also have genital sores, inflammation of the eye (uveitis, retinitis, and iritis), and skin lesions, so these are part of the diagnostic criteria for Behcet's. A positive pathergy test (skin prick) may also indicate Behcet's, but less than 50% of patients have a positive reaction, so a negative test doesn't rule out Behcet's. However, if you have never had any genital sores or eye inflammation, your doctor will probably not diagnose Behcet's. However, some people have mouth ulcers for years before developing other symptoms.

Behcet's can cause arthritic inflammation in the joints, but unlike most forms of arthritis, the joint pain in Behcet's usually goes away within a couple of weeks.

Leigh Anne Johnson
09-12-2006, 11:51 AM
Sorry! :) Sometimes my spell check auto changes things and if I don't look Closely, I'll Miss it. I have had all the symptoms of Behcet's at one time or another, I don't know if Behcet's is thought to be inherited or Virus or whatever, I couldn't find that info. But I do have some Asian descendants. And both my grandfathers, father and uncle have been all over this world and being bounced from one relative to another, all over this country, who knows how I could have gotten it, if I have it. But I am going to ask when I go back tomorrow to the new Dr. His name is Dr. Kesserwani. I do have skin lesions on my upper arms. Until recently I thought it was eczema. but I have compared them to both Behcet's and eczema and I don't think it's eczema anymore it looks to much like the ulcers almost like ringworm but with out the welt. it's circular spots, with dry flake on rim and red raw spotty center. Eczema seems to be more patchy and not so perfectly circular, and I off and on get these little bumps kinda like pimple with out the fluid very small, about half the size of an apple seed in the genital area, :oops: I complained to my Gyno about it and he said that it was in-grown fine hairs. :? I do get sores If i get a cut, it almost always gets infected, even paper cuts. After all of the test today and tomorrow if we still don't have a clue, I'll post all the symptoms in chronological order for some other ideas for him to look for. Not that I don't have faith in him because I do. But now that I have found someone who knows that this is not all in my head, I wanna keep him intrigued to find whats up. After all I have more research time than he does.

P.S. Sorry about the extra Info Just wanted you to know why I suspected Behcets..
Jugde others as you would your self, there are no flaws in life, Only charecter. :lol: