PDA

View Full Version : sassafras root????????

stardust
09-09-2006, 02:36 PM
Hi,

I have a question?
Recently, I was told by a woman who has a friend who has lupus with the skin manifistations; as I do badly.

She heard that applying sassafras root (bulk) making a liguid of it; NOT DRINKING IT on the skin twice a day has helped the "brown, thin skin" revitilize after only a week !!!

I'm thinking of ordering some, but I would like to know if anyone of you have heard of this ???????

MARYCAIN
09-09-2006, 03:12 PM
My mom swore by Pappy's sassafras tea as a remedy for burns and always had a little jar of it around - native americans have used sassafras as a tonic for generations, so it surely couldn't hurt. Have you found a good source for the bulk root?

browneyedgirl53
09-09-2006, 03:14 PM
Hi Stardust,

My sister, who is an RN - is very active in using "natural"substances for healing; and if your doctor is open to your idea, it might be a good idea to check with your M.D. - if you are taking different kinds of meds and applications, you need to be so careful of mixing (topically as well as orally) - that product if I remember right, induces sweating which apparently is said to be good for arthritic reasons - there are many here on this site that will "chime" in very soon - and they are much more knowledgeable than I.....because I do take so many meds - I have to be very careful about what to mix and what not to mix.

I hope you find relief soon - let us know how you do.

Much love,
Browneyedgirl

stardust
09-09-2006, 04:03 PM
Yes, I am on several meds; plaquinil, methotrexate, elivil, prednizone, and a topical steroid cream for the rash, so I do plan on asking the dr. next week.

Browsing the internet, I found a place called www.sassafrasroot.com that sells it in "bulk from" but then I also found quite a few sites,including webmd that say it is no longer approved.?????? and is dangerous?/ but I THINK that is if you drink it only??

This woman says her friend noticed results right away after only one week.
My Dr. has said the skin is permantly destroyed on my arms, But apparantly this womans' dr had said the same thing?????

anyway, I appreciate any info :) :) :) thanks

browneyedgirl53
09-09-2006, 04:14 PM
Hi Stardust;

Our wonderful moderator, Saysusie will stop in and I'm sure she will have a "library" of information for you. She's great for answering questions, as well as many here. Butterfly knows so much. I'm sure if you wanted to send them a message - they would gladly respond.

Please, please make sure that you do as much investigative research as you can. I strongly recommend that you talk to your doctor.

Best of luck next week.

Much love,
Browneyedgirl

MARYCAIN
09-09-2006, 04:55 PM
There is a product called sassafras oil which is an essential oil and can be fataL if taken internally - you should NEVER drink anything labeled as an essential oil unless it is labeled as safe for human consumption, because some of these pols, such as oil of pennyroyal, can kill you or make you extremely ill. only an herbalist can tell you what is safe.

Sassafras tea made from a commercial concentrate, or from a safe bulk root, is considered safe in normal doses - 1 or 2 cups a day should not be a problem unless you have advanced liver disease or a bleeding problem, or are taking anticoagulants. Drinking too much sassafras tea (you'd probably have to drink a lot) can cause vomiting, hallucinations and sweating. Some people chew the bark as a hallucinogenic.

For years, sassafras tea was used as an ingredient in soft drinks, especially root beers, but the FDA banned it because it contains a chemical called safrole that causes cancer in lab animals. You have to remember these tests are done at amounts far more that what you would get in tea or a soft drink. Some "natural" or homemade root beers still use sassafras extract as a flavoring. I personally love sassafras tea and have drunk it for years just because I like the taste, not for any health benefits.

As with any herbal product, you want to make sure you are getting it from a reputable source. Remember that most herbal products are considered "dietary supplements", which are not tested or monitored for quality or safety by the FDA. Products may be mislabeled, mixed with some other product, or contaminated with pesticides, so stick with brand names and sources you know. You should be especially careful with any herbal products coming from China - many of these are contaminated and unsafe to use.

In Germany, the sale of herbal products is regulated just as drugs are here. If you see a product marked "E-commission approved", this means it has been studied and approved by Germany's E-Commission (a German regulatory group) as generally safe for use.

stardust
09-09-2006, 05:48 PM
thanks Marycain,

Is there a place you know of on line that is reputable ?
Also, do you know the difference between sassafras root and sarsaparilla?

As you can judge, I'm NOT very educated when it comes to herbal remidies. I usually have stayed away from them because I have heard that you really have to know what you're doing, but this sounded so promising and my skin is really messed up and as I said, the dr. feels it is peremantly destroyed so I' m looking for other options.

I have used EVERY otc topical cream, ointment, soak, etc. and am using a perscription steroid cream as well, with little positive results. :( :(

thanks again

MARYCAIN
09-09-2006, 06:59 PM
SARSPARILLA IS A VINE THAT GROWS IN MANY PARTS OF THE WORLD, INCLUDING NORTH AMERICA. IT IS PRICKLY AND HAS SHINY BERRIES WHICH BIRDS LOVE. THE ROOT OF THE VINE IS VERY WOODY - IT HAS TO BE BOILED IN ORDER TO GET THE SARSPARILLA EXTRACT THAT IS USED IN SOFT DRINKS AND MANY HOMEOPATHIC REMEDIES. SARSPARILLA IS USED IN THE SARSAPARILLA SODAS FAMOUS IN THE OLD WEST, ALSO IN SOME ROOT AND BIRCH BEERS. IT IS ALSO A VERY IMPORTANT INGREDIENT IN MANY INDIAN AYURVEDIC REMEDIES.

SASSAFRAS IS A TREE WHICH GROWS MAINLY IN THE EASTERN PART OF THE US - NOT SURE WHICH TREE FAMILY IT BELONGS TO, BUT IT GROWS UP TO 40 FEET TALL , AND HAS VERY PRETTY LEAVES. YOU CAN TELL THE TREE BECAUSE THE LEAVES HAVE THAT DISTINCT SASSAFRAS AROMA. DURING THE PROHIBITION ERA, SOME PEOPLE BOILED THE YOUNG LEAVES TO MAKE A BOOTLEG FORM OF BEER, BUT I WOULDN'T RECOMMEND IT. tHE WOODY ROOT IS THE PART NORMALLY USED FOR TEA - IT IS ALSO USED AS AN INGREDIENT IN SOME SOAP PRODUCTS BECAUSE OF THE TANNIC ACID.

I USUALLY BUY MY SASSAFRAS LOCALLY - I'M SURE THERE ARE MANY GOOD ONLINE SOURCES - I USUALLY DO ANY ONLINE BUYING OF HERBAL PRODUCTS FROM THE PENN HERB COMPANY. THE SAN FRANCISCO HERB CO., THE ATLANTIC SPICE COMPANY, AND IHERB ARE ALSO REPUTABLE ONLINE SOURCES IF YOU ARE UNABLE TO FIND SOMETHING LOCALLY. AND SINCE YOU ARE ON SO MANY MEDS, DEFINITELY CHECK WITH YOUR DOCTOR FIRST.

BECAUSE MOST LUPUS PATIENTS HAVE VERY SENSITIVE SKIN, IT'S ALWAYS A GOOD IDEA TO DO A PATCH TEST BEFORE YOU USE ANYTHING NEW ON YOUR SKIN. PUT A LITTLE BIT ON YOUR HAND OR ARM, AND WAIT 24 HOURS AT LEAST TO SEE IF YOU HAVE ANY REACTION BEFORE USING IT ELSEWHERE. YOU DON'T WANT TO PUT SOMETHING ON YOUR FACE AND THEN FIND OUT YOU'RE ALLERGIC TO IT.

HOPE THIS HELPS