PDA

View Full Version : IS IT LUPUS - THE ALTERNATIVE CRITERIA

MARYCAIN
09-08-2006, 02:23 PM
We're all unfortunately too familiar with the ACR criteria for lupus - An English rheumatologist, Graham Hughes, wasn't satisfied with the ACR criteria, and came up with his own list - The St. Thomas Criteria, named after the hospital where he practices. These aren't "official" criteria, but they may sound familiar to a lot of us.

The list, comprised of ten "clinical" and four "investigative" criteria, was developed by Dr. Hughes based on his own clinical practice.

1) Teenage "growing pains"
2) Teenage migraine
3) History of infectious mononucleosis
(called glandular fever in the U.K.)
4) Severe reaction to insect bites
5) Recurrent miscarriages
6) Allergy to Septra and sulfa drugs
7) Agoraphobia or claustraphobia
8) Finger Flexor Tendonitis
9) Premenstrual exacerbations of symptoms
10)Family history of autoimmune diseases
11)Dry Shirmer's test (measures tear production)
12)Borderline C4 levels
13)Normal CRP with raised ESR (sed rate)
14)Lymphopenia (low lymphocyte count)

The complete text of Dr. Hughes' list is available on the lupus uk website - his discussion is pretty interesting. Does anybody recognize themselves in this list?

Teresa
09-08-2006, 08:25 PM
Very Interesting. I have 9 of 14, currently. Have had 11 of 14.

Saysusie
09-10-2006, 11:01 AM
I certainly recognized myself :D
I, too, had nine of the fourteen that he listed. His is the first list that I've seen that took into consideration the teenage years!!

Thank Marycain

Saysusie

browneyedgirl53
09-10-2006, 05:03 PM
I swear MaryCaine, you are amazing!!! I think I said in one of my posts, that I believe you and Saysusie live with encyclopedias under each arm.
I'm in awe of all the information that you find; and the best part is........
you are so kind to share it with all of us.

You are an angel!!

Hope you're feelin' well today.

Much love,
Browneyedgirl

MARYCAIN
09-10-2006, 05:32 PM
You're really sweet. I actually ran scross this while looking for a link between lupus and bad reactions to insect bites, and was amazed at how similar his list was to my own teenager years. It made me realize that a lot of things I thought were unrelated problems, like the bite reactions, are all part of the underlying disease.