PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone lost their fingernails???

barb
09-03-2006, 03:53 AM
I hope someone answers this and can help. My fingernails are lifting on my right hand and don't know why. Is it the scleroderma, reynaud's or both?
Barb

MARYCAIN
09-03-2006, 08:41 AM
The one about CTD

Saysusie
09-05-2006, 01:14 PM
Do you have any symptoms of psoriasis? This is also an auto-immune disease that some of us Lupus patients suffer with. This can cause pitting and/or lifting of the fingernails also.

Saysusie

dizzy
09-06-2006, 10:02 AM
i suffer from psoriasis and had no idea that this was something related to lupus - jees i need to find out more about this thing, i have terrible nails, they break they are all grainy and bumpy but thankfully they are still on my fingers, which is more than i can say for my hair... anyone else losing hair?

buddhabelly
09-07-2006, 05:34 AM
My nails seem to be ok, they're still on my fingers as well. But my cuticles have become dry. I use cuticle oil and lotion to keep them moisturized. Maybe I just need a manicure. :? About the hair... Yes, my hair's been falling out since Ive been diagnosed march of this year. Its become very thin, but, its slowly growing back now. I know its vain of me to say but, the one thing that bothers me the most about SLE is my hairloss. :( I'm able to cope with the joint pains, headaches, fatigue, and the kidney nephritis. I miss my hair... :cry:

MARYCAIN
09-07-2006, 06:12 AM
Between the lupus and the cytoxan, I lost a lot of my hair - the good news is it grew back as thick as ever, only now it's curly, which is weird because it was poker-straight before.

buddhabelly
09-07-2006, 06:23 AM
:angel: Thanks Marycain for the good news. I'm trying to stay optimistic about it. I guess I'm just getting frustrated and impatient. I just want my hair to grow back... fuller... don't mind if it comes back curley. I always wanted curley hair. :)

barb
09-07-2006, 12:32 PM
No, I don't have any symptoms of psoriasis. My grandmother had it for many years, only on elbows and pinky finger nuckles. Did I spell that right???? My younger brother has pretty severe psoriasis. I've never had any symptoms. My nails are not breaking, they're pretty long and my left hand is fine. I do have scleroderma up to and including my last nuckles and my fingers are fat. I do have severe Reynauds, winter/summer, you name it. It's been over 16 years now and I was wondering if there's anyone out there who's suffered from Reynaud's for that long and maybe it's a symptom of that.

MARYCAIN
09-07-2006, 01:50 PM
I've had the Reynauds for over six years - calcium channel blockers are not an option for me because they drop my blood pressure too much - my doctor has recommended a surgical procedure but I'm afraid to have it done. My doctor has even tried nitroglycerine cream on my hands, but it gives me a splitting headache, so it's a last resort. Right now I take 400 IU Vitamin E with selenium daily, and take an amino-acid supplement called l-arginine - both of these were recommended by my rheumatologist for the Reynauds, and control it pretty well as long as I'm careful about cold exposure.

Sounds like we might have a similar pattern - my technical diagnosis is lupus with scleroderma overlap, specifically CREST syndrome - ny doctor calls it lupuderma. So far I have very little skin hardening, but I do have the "sausage fingers" as I call them, and the clubbing at the fingertips - I've lost a couple of fingernails but they grew back. The Reynauds and the terrible reflux problems have so far been the worst aspects of CREST for me - according to the docs I have some heart valve damage but it doesn't bother me enough to notice. The Reynauds is a major pain - I can't even get things out of the fridge without gloves, and I've gotten several bad fingertip ulcers in the past.

The best protective hand lotion I've found is Camille Beckman Glycerine Hand Therapy -it's a bit pricy but does wonders to protect your hands.

Hope this helps.

dizzy
09-07-2006, 10:24 PM
i dont believe this! i have spent since 1992 trying to overcome cancer.. had more radiation than most people have had hot dinners.. had no hair for years"" finally for the first time since i was 28 i have long hair again.. and now its falling out! :( i guess that makes me sound pretty vain doesnt it... im short and fat and nothing special to look at, my only redeeming features are, pretty long blonde hair, pretty blue eyes and my mothers great skin.. so now my skin looks like a lepers, my eyes are dull and grey and my hair is falling out! t hats just great! think i'll become a recluse

hugs
xxx

dizzy
09-07-2006, 10:26 PM
hi again :( i dont know what happened just then.. i seem to have had an Eyore moment - and feel very foolish nowt, anyway i apologise for that and thank you for your support
hugs

MARYCAIN
09-08-2006, 06:13 AM
Sometimes you just have to have a good scream and get it all out!

dizzy
09-08-2006, 11:37 AM
hiya :)
thank you so much for being so kind, i feel really silly for throwing all my toys out the pram like that.
i saw the doctor today and he says he thinks i may be depressed so has put me on antidepresants and also is going to recommend some councelling, i am already seeing a bulimia counceller and so he is going to see if she can help in other areas, and just to cheer me up he gave me a chart where i have to complete how much i drink compared with how much i ... well ya know :oops: - actually it was the first time i had seen my gp since i was diagnosed and he funnily enough was very excited to have his first lupus sufferer, we discussed the hair loss, the arthritis in my neck, legs hands, my total lack of energy and my dehydration caused by some kidney problelm and all of this was like christmas to him lolol, i think i am now his pet project, which i guess is good because it means i get tons of attention when i want it.. i think going to see him weekly will get on my nerves though lol. anyway once again now that i have seen him and am feeling calmer im sorry for the tantrum and thank you for your understanding
hugs

beautifulbeluga
09-08-2006, 01:42 PM
Dear Dizzy:

You never have to apologize for being human. We all have our "bad days & irrational moments". Be comforted in knowing that it is OK not to be perfect here as we all are in the same boat.

In some ways it might be a kind of blessing that your doc. has made you his "pet project". You will need the attention from him and he will learn a lot about lupus from you that will make him more aware of what it is like to live with this disease and what to look for to dx. other patients. Take care of yourself and remember to allow others to care for you too.

Oh, yeah I picked up a few of your "stuffies" you threw out of your pram and tucked them in your bed to keep you warm.

Your friend ....beautifulbeluga

dizzy
09-08-2006, 03:47 PM
awe you are soooooo sweet, fank you so much :) i am feeling a lot calmer this evening lol my head ache is so bad i dont have the energy to be angry any more lolol

fank you for picking up my toys im off to bed now and look forward to finding htem there :) huggls and sweet dreams
love andhugs
dizzy
xxx
ps i love your name
littlegoldfish is so lovelyxxxxxx