PDA

View Full Version : Low sugar, no joint pain!

kimb
09-02-2006, 03:58 PM
Hi all, thought I would share this with you. I thought I would join my mother-in-laws 'no sweets/dessert diet'. It has been almost 4 weeks without candy, cookies, cakes, icecream, or high sweets. My knees and one thumb/wrist joints were bugging me prior to this. For the last 2 weeks I have had no joint pain at all. Now my pain before was not severe, but annoying and aching. Today, definatly no pain. :D
I know we are all different, but its worth a try. I have always had a big sweet tooth, and enjoyed chocolate and all sweet goodies daily, but my joints keep my will power strong.
I do eat lots of fruit, never been a soda drinker, and chewing sugar-less gum helps me, too.
Hope your joints like the 'no sweets'! :lol:
kimb

browneyedgirl53
09-02-2006, 06:50 PM
Hi Kimb,

I'm with you on that. A couple of years ago, my cousin had lost tons of weight and I asked him what was goin' on...and he told me he picked up the book "Sugar Busters"...or something like that. He leant it to me, and wow, after I read that book....I was convinced how much damage refined sugar does to our bodies.

I'm so glad you posted today, I've been hitting the CherryVanilla Dr. Pepper a little too much lately - and I feel like poooooooo!! So I'm back to no sugar again. It really does help with the pain factor - cravings, etc.

Take care,

Much love,
Browneyedgirl

SoleSinger
09-02-2006, 07:39 PM
I am totally with you!! I don't know about the pain thing, but as far as just living... I was on Atkins for almost a year and LOVED IT!! I didn't eat as much, I didn't have food cravings, I had energy, I was losing weight, etc... It was awesome!!! Now, I know that Atkins isn't for everyone, but cutting back on the sugars and things like rice and flour and potatoes... Does AMAZING things... Even if you don't cut them out completely!!

browneyedgirl53
09-03-2006, 12:59 PM
Mornin,
I have dreams about baked potatoes, sour cream, chives.....oh yummmy!
Basmati rice is my very favorite (the brown rice).....ooooops, I shouldn't be talking about those foods, should I????

Sugar is so hard to cut out of a diet, it seems like anything that's not protein is sugar (just kidding).

Have a great day.

Much love,
Browneyedgirl

kimb
09-03-2006, 07:26 PM
Good to hear happy replies :P ! Today was my husbands birthday, we (not me)had cake last night, today...... :cry: But I stood my ground! I did take a big sniff of the wonderful chocolate frosting(hoping I would get some on my nose! :D )I had a big glass of water, and some fruit. Im thankful for your support! My no joint pain is my will power. Hopefully with that and lowering my prednisone, I can get rid of my puffy marshmallow prednisone cheeks!(both of them, upper and lower!)
kimb

SoleSinger
09-03-2006, 07:30 PM
Have you tried the low carb ice cream? It's actually really good!!! The chocolate is the best!!

browneyedgirl53
09-03-2006, 08:06 PM
I second that recommendation !!!! I'm glad you stood your ground; you can teach me!!!

Hope your holiday week-end is fun!!

Much love,
browneyedgirl

kimb
09-05-2006, 03:00 PM
:lol: Just an update for you ......it has been a month since I started this no sweets/desserts diet! I still am NOT having any joint problems/pain, and I have lost 4 lbs!!!! Yahoo :D Went to an apple farm this weekend, could have eaten every apple fritter in sight, would have knocked down anyone with a pie, BUT...... Ms. Will Power stepped in!!!! MUST BE STRONG RESIST !!!! :shock: :shock:
No other lupus symptoms hanging around for now, still tapering my prednisone, will go down to 10mg this weekend. Lowering by 1mg every 3 weeks after that, hope all goes well with that!
Thanks for the support!!
ps will have to check out the chocolate icecream-how closely related is Splenda or nutrasweet? Does it act the same as real sugar?
kimb 8)

browneyedgirl53
09-05-2006, 04:05 PM
Hi Kimb,

CONGRATULATIONS ON THE FINE ACHIEVEMENT !!! IF I HAD FIVE GOLD STARS, I WOULD GIVE THEM ALL TO YOU !!!!! WAY TO GO, GIRL
(by the way, we are NEVER too old for those little stars.....smile).

I believe that Nutrasweet is (aspartame???), I'm not sure. Splenda is actually made from sugar; it is not a synthetic sweetner. There are others here who can answer that question more accurately than I.
I personally, cannot have anything except for Splenda or Stevia. Make sure to check with your doctor.

It's so nice to hear about your success, it's motivating and makes me smile too.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK, CELEBRATE (not with sugar....smile).

Much love,
Browneyedgirl

yaya
09-06-2006, 06:44 PM
I have heard that eliminating sugar and caffeine can help. It is so difficult because sweets are my "stressed or not feeling well" comforted food. I wonder where my "Ms. Will Power" is hidding. :?

I don't care for meat so unfortunately that leaves veggies, pasta (not so good for you), bread (not so good for you), dairy and SWEETS (also known as chocolate).

I'll be waiting for my "Ms. Will Power" because my "Must Be Strong" isn't.

At least I know there is hope. :P

Have a good night.

SoleSinger
09-06-2006, 08:51 PM
Hi Kimb,

CONGRATULATIONS ON THE FINE ACHIEVEMENT !!! IF I HAD FIVE GOLD STARS, I WOULD GIVE THEM ALL TO YOU !!!!! WAY TO GO, GIRL
(by the way, we are NEVER too old for those little stars.....smile).

I believe that Nutrasweet is (aspartame???), I'm not sure. Splenda is actually made from sugar; it is not a synthetic sweetner. There are others here who can answer that question more accurately than I.
I personally, cannot have anything except for Splenda or Stevia. Make sure to check with your doctor.

It's so nice to hear about your success, it's motivating and makes me smile too.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK, CELEBRATE (not with sugar....smile).

Much love,
Browneyedgirl

Yes Nutrasweet or Equal is aspartame.. Sweet and low is saccarine... Splenda (Sucralose) is basically sugar boiled down to make sugar alcohol... And processes in the body differently than regular sugar.

tanyaw
10-12-2006, 11:34 PM
Dear Kimb,

You have totally motivated me! I have known for years that sugar is a immune depressant yet never gave it much thought. I am a foreigner in the country that I live and spend much of my time alone with my best friend -food! I love to bake for my kids as I'd rather they eat banana bread then packaged cookies yet they move on from the cake and I stay and stay...I have read sugar busters and really believe it but need the motivation. Now that I am sick (diagnosed in August) I need to stay focused to help myself and my body be strong. My prednizone face is atrocious and I have gained weight and it stresses my joints as my body prefers to be slimmer. Thanks for your input about sugar and I will keep you in mind when I get near the white stuff. I would recommend staying away from sweetners though as they just fuel the fire for sweets. I'd prefer to say " I don't like sweets" then eat sweetners...Thanks again.

kimb
11-01-2006, 07:18 PM
:D :D Still good news for all of you!!!~
It has been 3 months since I cut out all the sweets and desserts. :cry:
But....I feel great! My joints feel great!!! I have actually lost about 8 lbs. My will power stays strong, because my joints tell me to stay away from all that sugar!
I will be going on a Walk for a Cure, the Alliance for Lupus Research fundraiser walk a thon. This will be on Sat. in San Francisco, Calif.
I will be thinking of all of you!!!
Keep smiling, and just smell the chocolate!
Kimb~ California 8)