PDA

View Full Version : Lupus, the Wolf and a search for what was wrong

jaynedarcy
08-05-2006, 10:39 AM
From the time I was a young kid, I've loved wolves. They are just beautiful animals. I recall a concert I went to as a kid that played a gorgeous piece called The Flight of the Wolves by Gustav Holst; it made me weep.

I've had wolves posters in my room, wrote stories about wolves, tried to draw them, but wasn't very good at it. I really wanted a wolf dog, but the parents drew the line there.

The first time I heard about Lupus was in the early 70s; a commercial on tv that showed a woman with the butterfly rash upon her nose. I saw in the pattern a typical wolfish face, though, and that commercial stuck with me even after it disappeared.

As I grew up, I never lost my fascination with wolves and when a startled shaman in Arizona informed me that my totem wasn't just a single wolf, but an entire pack, I wasn't surprised. I was surprised at his warning that the pack were trying to tell me something and I wasn't listening.

By then I was beginning to get the first painful symptoms of joint flare-ups. I didn't pay much attention to them because I was slightly overweight, and not much for exercise. Around this time I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. I told the doctor about my terrible periods, and the knee and ankle pain I'd been having. In the doctor's office was a painting of a wolf.

That day began the search for a dx and what was going on with me. Wolves in some form or another were still around, but not as much. We moved away from my wonderful doctor, but I kept searching. It finally took a whole battery of blood tests (I almost fainted for real when I saw four vials of my blood) and a trip back to Monterey to discuss the results with my old doc to discover what I had. I received the Lupus dx in the same office where the wolf painting was.

A week after I returned home, a package showed up from my doctor. It was the painting of the wolf with his note saying he remembered my stories of the wolf and he felt the painting belonged to me.

The wolf pack is quiet these days, and I still adore wolves.

Thanks for letting me share this.

MARYCAIN
08-05-2006, 01:24 PM
I've always thought wolves were beautiful animals, but I've never felt the deep passion you obviously have for them. There aren't any in my part of the country, but I spent some time in Alaska where they were often heard if not seen. I thought then that the wolf howl was one of the loneliest sounds in the world. If your totem animal is the wolf, it's not surprising you would feel an affinity for them.

browneyedgirl53
08-05-2006, 07:00 PM
Oh my,

You truly do have the gift of writing; and so well.

Keep on sharing, JayneDarcy - it's wonderful to read your thoughts and words of encouragement. It's fun to read about your passion(s).

Hope you're having a good day.

Life is good, love is better
Browneyedgirl

ihate2shave
08-06-2006, 05:35 AM
JayneDarcy, what a special story, thank you for sharing it. :)

jaynedarcy
08-06-2006, 11:05 AM
Thank you both. I'm glad you liked it.

Ihate2shave - I have gotta ask what the heck is the story behind your signature? lol Everytime I see it, I want a doughnut!