PDA

View Full Version : Stressed about leaving my kitty cat for vacation

ButterflyRN
08-04-2006, 12:37 PM
Okay so some of you may think I'm just crazy, but I'm leaving in a week for vacation and I made arrangements yesterday to have my kitty cat boarded for a week. Now I know he will be taken care of and let's face it the place I found to put him in is actaually called a Animal Hospital Resort and Spa. He will be staying in a cat-o-minimum (which is just a regular cage) but they let them out into a 90 square foot room that has a tv, lounge chairs, a bay window and scratching posts. So even though he's going to be living in the lap of luxuary I'm still stress about leaving him. It's the first time that I've had to board him because I have few friends here and the one's I do have are unable to watch him and give him is medication everyday (he has hyperthyroidism). So I woke up last night and started to stress that he's going to be without me and my husband for a whole week and I don't want him to miss me :cry: He's a maine coon and he pretty much acts like a dog and I'm afraid he'll experience seperation anxiety and not eat. Now I know for sure it's me with the seperation anxiety but this is the first time that I actually have to take him out of his environment and place him in the hands of strangers :( My husband thinks I'm being silly and I know to a degree I am but he's like my child right now. I know I can't stress myself out because it doesn't do my health any good.
Thanks for listening. I just wanted to vent and hear some words of encouragement so I keep my stress level down. Thanks everyone :lol:

buddhabelly
08-04-2006, 02:39 PM
Hi ButterflyRN! :) Where are you going on vacation? Well, wherever you go, have fun and enjoy yourself. Worrying on your vacation will just ruin it. It seems like you picked a great place for your kitty cat to stay. Wow, an Animal Hospital Resort and Spa. 8) I'm sure your kitty cat will be taken care of. So no worries...

I have a dog, who I love like a child, who's spoiled as can be. Its difficult going on vacation. But, I'm lucky to have my mom who watches him while I'm away, which only happens once a year. I did leave my dog once with a coworker, when I went out of the country on vacation for 2 weeks. I was so nervous leaving him alone. But after seeing who he'll be staying with, I felt a sense of relief. My coworker has 2 children who are always home, and 2 other dogs. So, my dog will never be alone and he'll be entertained playing with the family and the other dogs. And when I came back from vacation, he was as happy to see me as I was to see him. He missed me, but he too had his very own vacation. 8)

So, I know how you feel. Just leave your worries behind, and have fun on your vacation. :) Your lil kitty cat will be taken care of. Resort and spa, sounds so luxurious. She/he will be waiting for you when you come home... :wink:

MARYCAIN
08-04-2006, 03:22 PM
and most of them adapt well to new environments. I know how you feel - I used to travel for my job and I always hated boarding my fur-babies. I always sent some of my cats' favorite foods and treats, some catnip toys, and an item of clothing with my scent on it. I learned the hard way about packing their own food because I didn't the first time and both mine got upset tummies from the different food. Yuck. It sound like a great boarding place though, so hopefully your kittie will be spoiled rotten while he;s there.

buddhabelly
08-04-2006, 03:28 PM
Yes, that's a good idea. I did the same when I left my dog at a friend's house. I brought the food he eats at home, his favorite treats, the blanket he sleeps with, and some of his favorite toys. Familiar items will give them a sense of calmness and security. So, don't worry. Your lil kitty cat will be pampered and spoiled at the resort spa. Your kitty cat gets to go on vacation too. 8)

ihate2shave
08-04-2006, 10:25 PM
Hey ButterflyRN, I've felt the same way about my cats. I do cat rescue actually, fostering kitties until they are adopted, and I just nursed one of my babies through congestive heart failure! He actually came through like a champ but needs medication twice a day, and I've been afraid to go away overnight to visit my girlfriend. Same as you, worried he or another kitty will go through an-xi-e-ty!

That said, some of my kitties have gone through hard times, some have been abandoned by their families (sometimes for good reasons like developing a terrible allergy - sometimes b/c they just discard their animals cuz they're no longer 'convenient'). And cats are extremely adaptable! They do miss their people, but they respond to their environment cuz they're very 'in the moment.' It sounds like you've picked a great place where he'll get attention and be able to move around. Maine coons are very friendly aren't they? He'll be schmoozing up the people at the spa from day one, I promise... And he'll be very happy to see you when you pick him up. The blankets and toys are a good idea.

ButterflyRN
08-05-2006, 05:12 AM
Thanks everyone for your words of comfort :lol: I slept better last night. I know my cat will be fine! I'm going to send him with all his food and a few personal items as you all suggested. He has a blanket he likes to sleep on which I'll send with him for in his cage. Maine coons are pretty friendly ihatetoshave, but he's a funny one all on his own. He's very independent and doesn't like being around other animals. That's another thing I worry about but I know he'll be fine and they won't let him get into any fights with other cats :) Thanks everyone :lol:
And buddhabelly to answer your question we're going to hilton head. My in laws are coming with us :? We will all either love each other by the end of the trip or all hate each other. This is the longest I've spent with them. I actually get along with them so it shouldn't be too bad. We rented a house with a pool so there will be pleanty of space and I can go swimming whenever I want in regards to avoiding being all covered up at the beach when I want to go out in the sun. But of course I will have to go a day or two under an umbrella at the beach! 8)

jaynedarcy
08-05-2006, 10:15 AM
I know you'll have an excellent trip and your furry kid will be just fine, as you will be. It sounds like a very nice boarding spa so I'm certain he'll be well taken care of.

A maine coon? I have only seen two of those in my life and have always wanted one; I love big cats. I can't introduce any new animals in this 4 furry kid household, yet. lol

ButterflyRN
08-05-2006, 11:10 AM
He's a great cat! He weighs 15.5 lbs, has huge paws with tuffs of hair coming out of them. He litterally will talk back to you when you talk to him. We have a track behinde our townhome and if my husband and I go walking around it he will come with us and follow. He really is a dog trapped in a cats body :lol: He always has to be in the same room with you. And the funniest thing is he usually sleeps on his back spread eagle...it is so funny :lol: He is what keeps my stress level down. Gotta love animals :lol:

MARYCAIN
08-05-2006, 01:08 PM
My Maine Coon never got that big because I adopted him from a rescue shelter and he had been badly abused and malnourished, but was still incredibly sweet. We named him Maestro because he used to wave his paw in the air like an orchestra conductor. Oddly enough, he adored coffee and I always had to keep my cup covered or he would drink it. I still miss him and would love to have another Maine Coon, but right now I have two and am fostering two more.

ButterflyRN
08-06-2006, 09:01 AM
That's so funny that your cat drinks coffee. Mickey loves hot wings if you can believe it. Well he loves chicken period but for some reason he loves the hot wings. He also tries to eat my chocolate icecream and he loves drinking the milk after my husband has had cornflakes with honey on top. I guess it's the sweetness from the honey. He takes just a few sips to get the taste and then he's done. He's quite a funny cat :lol:

Tiffery
08-06-2006, 09:01 PM
I believe my cat Squirt is a Main Coon mix, I am not for sure what the dad was. He weighs 17 lbs. We should of named him fatty instead. He was the runt of the litter. he also likes to talk to me and sleep on his back with his hind legs in the air. I love cats so much when ever Iam feeling down I grab Squirt and love on him. :D

ButterflyRN
08-07-2006, 07:47 AM
He's a big kitty too Tiffery :lol:

jaynedarcy
08-07-2006, 09:45 AM
Do you have any photos of him online?

ButterflyRN
08-07-2006, 03:23 PM
No I don't have any pictures of him online.