PDA

View Full Version : What does speckled mean?

jaynedarcy
08-02-2006, 01:11 PM
I had a recent test done for the Lupus as my doctor did not have my original set of tests that were used to diagnose me. Just found out the clinic never bothered to get my old records :mad: durn them. Anyway, the doctor said the test result was speckled and was enough for me to get my referral to the lupus doc. And then he ran off to his next patient. (being on medicare and tied to a clinic is a whole 'nother rant!)

So, what's speckled mean?

Bama
08-02-2006, 01:52 PM
Hi Jayne,

I've got a speckled pattern as well. It is the most popular pattern and often times they can't identify the specific antibody that is causing it - meaning it may not be that helpful in identifying a specific disease. There is a neat web site that lists what some of the possible antibodies are and what they are sometimes associated with. I liked seeing the pictures. No one ever figured out what antibody was causing my speckled pattern and I even had my blood sent to a research program at Johns Hopkins where they test for antibodies that commercial labs can't test for.

http://www.labodia.com/en/ana/Atlas/anaatlasnuclear.htm#Speckled%20patterns

There are speckled patterns under the main headings like nuclear, nucleolar, and cytoplasmic.

For a positive Anti Nuclear Antibody (ANA) test with a speckled pattern look under the nuclear and nucleolar. I also have a positive ANCA which stands for anti nuclear cytopasmic antibody, which would then fall under the cytoplasmic heading.

Hope that helps.

jaynedarcy
08-02-2006, 02:03 PM
That explains it very well. My doc that and hematologist that diagnosed me kept referring to a "pattern" that was specific to what I had. When the "aha" showed up, my doctor said this was the final puzzle piece in an almost ten year puzzle.

Weird how my fascination for patterns is what is key to my diagnosis.