PDA

View Full Version : hi! new from tacoma

christina
08-01-2006, 02:46 PM
i have been diagnosed for two years now. Started with my hair falling out. Things got better until recently. Nothing major in comparison to others, but I am having a hard time doing my job since I do the non-traditional man's jobs. It is very difficult for me to come to terms with the fact that I may have to quit pushing myself anymore and accept that I'm not who I thought I once was. I don't have anyone to talk to that really gets it and I'm a little nervous about this venue but I was told it helps. So here it goes.

Tiffery
08-01-2006, 04:00 PM
Hi Christina, :D nice to meet you. I am new to the site also. This site is so wonderful you can really learn a lot from reading all the posts, and get answers for you questions. I feel at home here, because others know what you are going through.
What type of lupus do you have? I have been diagnosed with Cutaneous lupus, and being checked for other forms, I'm waiting on the test results.
Hope to here from you.
You'll always have a friend in me. Tiffery :smilecolros:

browneyedgirl53
08-01-2006, 06:45 PM
Welcome..to your new family!! You will find so many wonderful, supportive and encouraging people here. There's enough information here to keep you busy for days - especially on the Lupus links.And I can't rave enough about our awesome and incredible administrators; well actually everybody here is awesome. So get ready to soak up some love (smile). !!

And you've just inherited the largest family of sisters/brothers you could ever imagine (smile).

So come on in - the water's fine, and we're here to care for you, share with you and keep you encouraged when you're feeling scared, alone, confused, fed-up and frustrated. You're right, many of us have walked this road a little longer;and we are happy to share with you the wisdom we've learned from those who had walked this journey before us.

So hold on, be strong; and know that you are no longer alone.

Stay connected...it's the best thing you can do for yourself; I wish you comfort and blessings.

Take Care,
Life is good, love is better

Browneyedgirl

p.s. - do we both know a vivacious young lady named "Debbie"?? (smile). I hope so - looking forward to hearing from you. IT'S GOOD TO HAVE YOU HERE !!

atedj
08-02-2006, 02:00 PM
Hello neighbor! I live in Tacoma, too! I'm excited to know that someone else like me lives nearby.

beautifulbeluga
08-03-2006, 07:37 AM
Hi Christina:

Welcome to this site. Don't worry you are still who you thought you were but you may have a few more challenges comming up that you haden't counted on, but that is life. I see by your profile that you are a mechanic. Good for you, I did a lot of non-traditional jobs in my life also, actually at a time when I was the only one, boy was that hard to break in to. I live in Canada now but I remember when I lived in Ukiah California and worked at the hospital as a clerk making next to nothing and there was lots of openings at a saw mill nearby paying more than twice my wage. My children were little at the time and I was newly divorced and really needed the money. Anyway, every day after work I would drive the eighteen miles to the sawmill and ask if they were hiring yet. There response was always the same "no" and they would tell me they did not have any women working at the mill. I would point out that there (had been an equal opportunities act passed) and that if they had a position available they had to hire me. Finally, they got tired of seeing my face and did just that and of course gave me the most physically challenging position in the mill. Anyway to make a long story short, they were so impressed that within three weeks they had hired two other women. The job almost killed me but the money was good. When I moved to Canada it was not so scary the second time around for me and I continued to work a variety of positions (all male dominated ) within the railway over the years while raising my children (still as a single parent). When my children got older I finished my undergratuate and graduate (never completed due to my poor health) and went on to become a clinical social worker. For sure non-traditional work can be more challenging on the body and does present some difficulties when you are working around Lupus. You sound like a woman who can handle challenges so I'm sure you will manage somehow. Take care of yourself and look forward to furture posts.

Your friend from Canada - Patricia (beautifulbeluga)