PDA

View Full Version : Lab Results, Records & Rights to View

jaynedarcy
08-01-2006, 11:02 AM
I hope this is the right place for this topic.

In California, I never had a problem with my doctors allowing me to thumb through my records, read my lab tests, and discussing them with them. My two doctors even seemed to go out of their way to educate me on the meaning of many of my tests.

Here in Spokane, WA though, I'm having a devil of a time getting my GP to let me know what the heck is going on with me. They keep patient files on a computer and he literally shuts off the monitor if I try to look.

I lucked out two weeks ago when the clinic faxed my records to the rheumatologist I'm to see soon; by accident the records went to a business office not far from where I lived. The business called me and I practically sprinted to get those records.

I read through them and found a LOT of inaccuracies in my meds, dosages, family history, etc.

At yesterday's GP appointment, I went through everything with the doc and insisted that I wanted more disclosure - after all, this is my body!

To cut this short(er), I'd like to know where I can find more information about my rights as a patient. Since I'm on Medicare, only, I tend to wimp out sometimes because I may not find another clinic that takes medicare.

What has been any of you folks experiences?

browneyedgirl53
08-01-2006, 12:17 PM
Browneyedgirl here - living in Seattle.

If I am correct (Saysusie would know better than I)...but you have the legal right to have a copy of your medical records. While some doctors may charge you a fee, many others don't. I believe the HIPPA act has something to do with that freedom.

Like you, I had to go through some hoops, until I went to the hospital to get my records; I mentioned to them my difficulty about getting notes from an M.D.; and I was told that I have not only the right, but that they (M.D.'s) have the responsiblity to provide you access to review your medical records whenever you request them.

Don't take no for an answer - exercise your rights. I am sure our great mentors and researchers on this site will provide you with more information.

JUST DO IT !

Life is good, love is better
Browneyedgirl

ButterflyRN
08-01-2006, 12:24 PM
You have every right to your medical records. You are the patient. All you have to do is ask for them. You may have to go through filling out some paperwork for the doctor's office or the hospital when you want the release of your records but they are yours and you have the right to them whenever you want!

MARYCAIN
08-05-2006, 08:47 AM
This is a sore subject with a lot of docs who seem to think that your medical records are their property. There is a website - www.privacyrights.org - which can help you get more information about viewing your own records. If your doc gets hostile or defensive when you ask to see your own records, it could be a warning there's someting in your records he'd rather you didn't see. If you ask your doctor for your records and he refuses, contact your state's medical licensure board and ask about about your state's laws regarding patient access.