PDA

View Full Version : WHAT 10 THINGS ARE YOU MOST GRATEFUL FOR?

browneyedgirl53
07-31-2006, 05:01 PM
Hey Everybody,

Just a thought - I know it can be difficult living with such an unpredictable disease.
Sometimes it's so easy to forget all the GOOD things we have in our lives.

I will share my top 10 list, and hope you will too.

Browneyedgirl

(Drum Roll Please)

1. I'm grateful for this good life...knowing that there are so many others in worse circumstances than I.

2. I'm gratefulfor my mom, she's my hero, confidant,cheerleader, and my heart.

3. I'm grateful for having a roof over my head, a nice warm bed to sleep in at night, and food (well, that I might love a little too much)!

4. I'm grateful for having friends who accept me - boo boo's and all (smile).

5. I'm grateful that we have the freedoms that so many in this world don't.

6. I'm grateful that I can laugh at myself, and be okay with it.

7. I'm grateful for modern technology - isn't this website the best???? AMEN !

8. I'm grateful for openminded people - they tell you like it is...good/bad.

9. I'm grateful to the supreme creator for being in control - lord knows, I'm not (smile).

10. Unusual yes, but I am grateful for having this disease - so many lessons have been learned, not only about myself: but about others - that compassion is still alive in the hearts of so many strangers-soon to become friends.

Thanks everyone - for letting me share. I hope this helps you as much as it helps me.

Life is good, love is better
Browneyedgirl

Saysusie
08-01-2006, 12:13 AM
Ok....Here is my top 10 list
1. I am grateful for having been chosen, by God, to be the earthly parent to Lauri Amber Reinke-Diggs. It was an honor and a blessing to have her in my life for twenty-four years!
2. I am grateful to have a husband who is committed to my health and my happiness.
3. I am grateful for my true "sister-friends" who have encouraged me and given me the strength to just keep living and who never stop loving me!
4. I am grateful to have a son who, although he is still finding his way, values me as one of the most important people in his life.
5. I am grateful for each day that I can come to this site and provide encouragement and comfort to someone else.
6. I am grateful to our "Beloved Administrator" for his devotion to this site.
7. I am grateful for every day that I wake up in a world where I am cherished (that means so much more than houses, money, cars etc.).
8. I am grateful for the many every day heroes in this world andfor the kindness and caring that I find in people every where and every day (in spite of what the media would like us to believe that there is no goodness left in the world)
9. I am grateful that, although there is still racism and sexism in this country, I enjoy basic freedoms and privileges that are denied in other parts of the world.
10. I am grateful to be one with the Creator who is a GOD of love and forgiveness!

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

Sunshine101
08-01-2006, 05:32 AM
Sigh....Oh Browneyedgirl and Saysusie...nice job ladies! It is so great that both of you list so many things that money can't buy! I can't wait to read more! Sunshine101

jaynedarcy
08-01-2006, 10:43 AM
Excellent thread! Here's mine:

1. I'm grateful for my family, my mother, brothers, and my wonderful husband.

2. I'm grateful for the responsibility of my furry kids (2 dogs and 2 cats) who remind me from time to time home much they rely upon me to get up and take care of them.

3. I'm grateful for the freedom of the internet and that there is a place such as WeHaveLupus - I feel so less alone than I did a few days ago!

4. I'm grateful for the house we own and that there is no significant debt in our lives.

5. I'm grateful for living in a large enough city that there is adequate care for my Lupus.

6. I'm grateful for the strength I found to finally put some of my dreams into reality (my writing site and creating cover art for brother's music album).

7. I'm grateful for those friends and family who put up with the late night phone calls and listen to me when I'm mad at the world and god.

8. I'm grateful for my sight and my hearing which allow me to appreciate what's beautiful in the world and in people.

9. I'm grateful for the love I have received, even from strangers on the opposite of the world.

10. I'm grateful for the doctor who persevered on my behalf and after almost nine years, finally told me what was wrong and that I really wasn't "making it all up".

browneyedgirl53
08-01-2006, 11:19 AM
I can't remember the last time I cried tears of joy, to see your hearts restores my faith in humanity......THANKS SO VERY MUCH FOR SHARING.

Life is good - Love is better
Browneyedgirl

p.s. Blessings to you...
I love that you shared your hearts - THANK YOU.

ButterflyRN
08-01-2006, 12:17 PM
Okay here's my Top 10

1. I am grateful that God has given me life
2. I am grateful that I have a loving and supportive husband
3. I am grateful that I have a loving and supportive family ( my own and my husband's)
4. I am grateful to God for giving me this disease at such a young age..I've learned things that I will carry with me for the rest of my life.
5. I am grateful to have wonderful doctors that push everyday to keep me healthy
6. I am grateful for all the comforts of life God has given me
7. I am grateful that I can continue to work at this time
8. I am grateful for my kitty cat, he is what helps my stress level stay down :lol:
9. I am grateful for my freedom
10. I am grateful for my friends

browneyedgirl53
08-01-2006, 06:30 PM
You do my heart good, thanks for spreading more love on our day. There's not enough money in this world that could buy the gifts that we've been blessed with; family, friends, and that good ole'stuff....called LOVE.

Thanks for sharing, love.

Browneyedgirl

stjames13
08-02-2006, 07:34 AM
8)
OK HERE's MY ANWERS

1...I am so LUCKY to have a wife who has stod beside me through, Liver Cancer, LUPUS, and a myraid of auto-immune problems that have all but ruined my life.

2...I am LUCKY to have been a MARINE and learned that we are ONLY as weak as our minds let us be and that we are always in control.

3...I am lucky to have been able to pursue my dreams as a professional musician and made a goodliving at it.

4...I am lucky to have FRIENDS who treat me as a normal friend and do not pity me

5...I am lucky to have GOOD MORAL VALUES and find the good even in the bad or worst of a situation.

6...I am lucky to have survived this long and been able to help as many people as I have been able to.

7...I am lucky to have people like YOU to talk to.

8...I am lucky to have had a good job with a pension and good doctors who all helped me diagnose my problems and treat them as best they could yet still allow me to intervene and make suggestions in my treatment.

9...I am lucky enough to have NOT been stupid when I was making alot of money so IF something should happen my house is paid for and there is PLENTY of money for my wife to live on and I'll know even on my death bed I took care of my wife even after my departure from this earth.

10..... I am LUCKY to have been blessed with a strong will which has kept me alive when some docs have already written me off, and to have TWO DOGS which I love as if they were my children , BUT MOSTLY I AM LUCKY TO BE ALIVE and knowing that I treat each day no matter how miserable I feel or how much pain I must deal with like it may be my last so I treat each day as it is prescious as the first day of my life !!!!!!

11..ONE EXTRA FOR ME...I am LUCKY to have a friend like CONRAD who owns this board for allowing us to have a place to get together and support each other...and ESPECIALLY I AM LUCKY TO HAVE SUZ as a friend of mine.....she knows things about me that I have not really disclosed to all yet she never pity's me and gives me the respect I have earned just by being HER FRIEND and SHE MINE,,,,,BUT MOSTLY I AM LUCKY I did all the research I did on this incidious disease and now have the chance to pass this knowledge onto you who are new to this disease.

There are so many more reasons to be gratefull, but the BIGGEST is having a GRANDMOTHER WHO TAUGHT ME how to treat others, but mostly for my LOVING GORGEOUS WIFE , who has given me the BEST 25 years of MY/HER life !!!!!!!! :wink:

StJames 8)

browneyedgirl53
08-02-2006, 04:29 PM
Hi St. James !!
You are amazing - what a great inspiration you are!! Wow, thanks so much for sharing. Today, was a bit of a struggle for me. My M.D. said the lupus is now in my brain, heart, lungs and kidneys….I told the M.D. – it’s a damn good thing this dirty rotten scoundrel can’t get to my spirit; because that’s the part that matters most (smile) and that’s goin’ nowhere in any lifetime (smile).
Thank you for moderating this great site!! It’s heartwarming to have an opportunity to connect with others who can mentor us newbies through this disease; and how genuinely caring they are ! It’s like a nice warm hug before ending my day. And if I may ask, please convey my deepest thanks to Conrad – for having the commitment and means to make this wonderful site happen.This site is like a pair of soft comfy slippers that only lupies can walk in and know. This site has become truly a safe venue for me to reach out and find hope, especially for those of us with limited supportive people in our lives. Like you, I am amazed that I am still breathing. “Cherish today; that’s why we call it the present”.

Browneyedgirl53

"I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet,
when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly."

yaya
08-23-2006, 07:13 PM
1. I'm grateful for my God. Knowing that he has a plan helps get through my day.
2. I'm grateful for my Husband. Even when I have moodswings, down days, crying because I've gained so much weight days he still loves me and tells me he thinks I'm beautiful.
3. I'm grateful for my Daughter. She is a twenty five year old "Mama's Girl" and she such a wonderful daughter and mother.
4. I'm grateful for my Granddaughter. She is the light of my life, she's "YaYa's Girl" just thinking about her makes me smile.
5. I'm grateful for my Son, 13 yrs old and in the 7th grade, he keeps me young. He is so much like me it's scary. The next few years should be fun.
6. I'm grateful for my Mother. Without her telling me to "get up and go and you will feel better" I know I would not be as strong as I am with this "thing" we call Lupus.
7. I'm grateful that I can still work, it gives me purpose.
8. I'm grateful that we own and operate our own business, it allows me to rest when I just can't "get up and go" anymore.
9. I'm grateful for my Church where I have an opportunity help others and forget about my aches and pains.
10. I'm grateful for my house, my home that I share with the people that love me the most.

PS, I grateful for finding the forum.

browneyedgirl53
08-24-2006, 05:26 PM
Hi YaYa,

It was great to read your post today, and it was nice to be reminded of those things in our life that keep our hearts tuned up, our minds tuned in...and our spirits soaring!!! Good job!!

Thanks so much for sharing, it's great to have you here sister YaYa!!

Hope you're having a good day.

Much love,
Browneyedgirl

Just typing yaya, makes me smile !!!

hatlady
08-25-2006, 03:49 AM
What a wonderful post! We should do this regularly. A long time ago (or so it seems) I was on another board that did this on a weekly basis - as people came and went, the practice drifted away. Sadly!

Gratitude is a very important part of our lives. A friend of mine wrote "The Gospel According to Oprah" - in it there's a wonderful chapter on gratitude that Beliefnet.com picked up shortly after the book was published.

What am I grateful for this beautiful day? How do you narrow "EVERYTHING!" to just 10?

1. That I am feeling pretty strong and healthy today, such a gift!
2. That I have someone who cares for me, who I care for very much.
3. That I have a safe place to live in a country that, for all its warts, has freedom of speech and freedom of thought.
4. That I have enough. Not too much, not too little, but enough.
5. That my yard bloomed beautifully this year - and I smelled every rose.
6. That I can still garden and walk and enjoy the feel of a soft breeze on my face.
7. That I have a job with good coworkers, and just enough chaos to keep it interesting.
8. That I have this computer and we can all connect over time and space - kind of a miracle, isn't it?
9. That I have wonderful friends who understand the good days and the difficult.
10. That I am blessed with life.

And...just for kicks,
11. That I have HATS! :lol:

browneyedgirl53
08-25-2006, 10:55 PM
Hi Hatlady,

So nice to finally chat with you friend. I always enjoy reading your posts. Thanks so much for your nice post!! I agree, maybe our "Happy Hour", can be with "gratitude" instead of drinks (although most of us wouldn't mind a shot or two.....of B-12 that is....smile) !!

Like you, I LOVE to garden; and it was a spectacular year for the garden this year. I also have roses, an apple tree, a couple of european plum trees....and a perrenial garden...that makes me smile everyday. I LOVE COLORS, SCENTS, DRAGONFLIES, AND BUTTERFLIES....and MUSIC !!!

I believe that when we focus on those things/people that we are most grateful for; it makes us realize that we are so fortunate and blessed, oddly enough in the midst of our pain; there's always a rainbow waiting behind that one cloud.

One of my all time favorite quotes, goes like this: "I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet, when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly." - unknown

Hope you have a nice week-end.

Much love,
Browneyedgirl

peach224
08-26-2006, 06:09 PM
Reading these posts brought tears to my eyes, especially this week, when I am feeling so bad and thinking things are so awful for me. It is great to realize that there are still things I should be grateful for. So here is my list:

1) I am grateful to God for giving me the strength to get up and go on when I don't want to and for making it JUST Lupus, Raynaud's, and RA;

2) I am so grateful for my incredible husband of 12 years who puts up with everything, with a smile and still tells me I am the most beautiful woman in the world, every single day;

3) I am blessed with two beautiful children who pat me and tell me I am wonderful and that they love me no matter what my mood, even when I bark at them or I am crying (and they are only 9 and 10);

4) I am grateful for having a job, such as it is, for the moment, that still lets me come in when I can, have one day off a week, and go to doctor's appointments when it is necessary. I know that their sympathy and good will probably won't last forever, but for now, it's enough;

5) I am truly lucky to have the few friends I have left be the best I could ask for and so blessed that they truly understand "The Spoon Theory";

6) I am so grateful to have been born in the U.S. and not in a third world country or in a place where women are oppressed or threatened. Somewhere that my thoughts and ideas would mean nothing (or that I wouldn't even have an original thought or idea) and that I can receive proper medical care;

7) I believe I am blessed to have a great PCP and Rheumatologist that are genuinely interested in helping me acheive whatever wellness that I can and live as pain-free as possible;

8) Although I don't always believe in everything that they do or stand for, I am grateful for the U.S. Navy, who gives my husband full time employment in a profession that he loves, puts a roof over our heads, and gives us an option to pay for health insurance without requiring a medical exam to qualify for that insurance. Without it, we would be in dire financial straits (more than we already are);

9) I am grateful for technology and the communication age that gives me freedom to communicate with people of all walks and life situations, and learn new things from the safety and security of my home;

10) Last, but by no means least, I am truly grateful and blessed to have found this message board and the warmth and friendship, as well as great information and true interest of the people here.

Thank you so much! Have a wonderful and blessed weekend!

- Peach

JenHa55
09-01-2006, 06:35 PM
Boy am I thankful:

My wonderful husband who is a hero to me and many others - he's a firefighter, but he's also just darn incredible and loves me no matter what and he tells me and shows me everyday. He makes me laugh, smile and want to live.

My family - they are nuts and passionate and I love them! Including my pets.

My friends - the true kind.

My life - everyday brings joy even in the pain.

Music and dancing - I love to dance and it brings me great joy.

Laughter - I love to laugh and I love to hear others laughing and having a great time.

The freedom to speak, to love, just to be...

The ocean, the water - it grounds me and is soothing to me.

Dreams, memories and goals - keeps me going and gives me direction.

I am in a little way, thankful for Lupus - ironic, i know - but I think I love so many things and appreciate the small stuff because I have Lupus. It's a love/hate relationship for sure because I hate the limitations it has placed upon me, but I love the way it has opened my eyes, heart and soul to the world. I can look out the window and love the tree standing there because I woke up today to see it...

stjames13
09-11-2006, 06:13 AM
8)
BROWNEYEDGIRL......

Your cheerfull outwardness is an INSPIRATION TO ALL OF US !!!!!

With you outlook towards this disease I think GOD will keep you around to inspire us and other for MANY MANY MANY years to come.

FOR YOU ARE A SURVIVIR ! AND A KIND SOUL and a GUARDIAN ANGEL!

I am so HAPPY to read your posts for they are all POSOTIVE!!!!!

YOU ARE A WONDERFULL PERSON and one who can help many a LUPUS or any other fatal disease that afflicts many a person who does not have someone like you to show them the POSOTIVE parts of life and what having somethng like this does to the way we look at life.

THANK YOU FOR BEING HERE AND FOR BEING A FRIEND !!!!!

STJAMES 8)

JenHa55
09-11-2006, 08:41 AM
I SECOND THAT!!!! In fact, I look for your posts!

Jen

browneyedgirl53
09-11-2006, 08:07 PM
Hi Friends,

Reflecting on this day 9-11-06, it will forever be a "frozen" date in all of our lives. We will all remember where we were five years ago when we heard and watched all the newscasts of all those who lost their lives.

As I was winding down my day, I thought I would stop in and be reminded of what things/people I am so very grateful for. As I read through each and every persons' "grateful" list, my heart is renewed in the kindness of strangers who have now become friends; renewed that traits of compassion and caring are exemplified every day - RIGHT HERE in this site for so many of us - whose hearts and bodies need mending.

I don't know if Saysusie, Conrad, and St. James ever had any idea of just how "huge" this dream of theirs turned into....I am grateful to be reminded that WE ALL have so much to be thankful for....grateful for, even in the little things.

I am grateful to all of you who have shared your GRATEFUL thoughts. This topic is my "touch stone" when I'm feeling tired, worried and just not sure of what's comin' up next.

Much love,
Browneyedgirl

JenHa55
09-11-2006, 08:21 PM
Browneyedgirl,

I too find myself drawn to this particular thred. On days like today that need extra attention and extra reflection, I am thankful for other people's thoughts. I love to see what others are thankful for and remind myself where I am in my life and in my heart.

Today, on 9/11 - we remembered the many people who died that day and the survivors they left behind. We remembered the fallen firefighters as my husband is a firefighter still risking his life everyday to save lives like ours. Today, especially, I am thankful for my husband and all emergency workers.

Jen

browneyedgirl53
09-11-2006, 08:41 PM
Hi Jen Ha,

I've missed you - or is it me that's been away too long? I think firemen are extraordinary people, it takes a heart of tempered steel to do what they do everyday. I know they don't see themselves as heroes but they truly are. I bet you are thankful for your awesome husband...nice to hear from you friend.

Good night - sleep tight.

Much love,
Browneyedgirl

admin
09-12-2006, 02:33 PM
Hey, I made the list!!!!

:lol:

Saysusie
09-13-2006, 07:56 AM
Most Beloved:
Yes, you did make the list...more than once :lol: :lol: :lol:

SMOOCHES
Saysusie

stjames13
09-14-2006, 05:31 AM
8)
SUZ,
YOU ARE THE DRIVING FORCE BEHIND THIS FORUM and I am just so happy that you allow me to be apart of this forum and help you in moderating it.

LOVE YA

STJAMES :wink:

Saysusie
09-14-2006, 02:15 PM
St. James;
I am HONORED that you want to be a part of this forum and I am blessed to call you my friend.
You are very important to me and to this forum :lol:

Luv Ya Back :B-fly:
Saysusie

browneyedgirl53
09-14-2006, 09:07 PM
NOW THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN' ABOUT........

SHARIN' THE LOVE !!!!! It was rough day for me today, and I wasn't able to hold it together in the doctor's office - when I was told I was too sick to ever go back to work - I knew it in my head, but I believed that my spirit was strong enough to conquer this and I would be well again. The tears wouldn't stop falling; they just kept running down my face - during my drive home, I tried to get my composure back before I walked in the door (my mom is here visiting from New Mexico)...so I tried to focus on what is the plan for my life - what do I do from this point forward - what's my calling in this life - why can't I be stronger about all this - why can't I see a future for myself????? I can't remember the last time when my body didn't hurt, I can't remember the last time I went for a walk on a sunny summer breezy day with the wind softly blowing; watching the trees dance to the rythym of the wind.

Then BAM, I suddenly realized I was in the thros of putting on my own "ITTY BITTY PITY PARTY".... and I said to myself "self, get off your sobbing batuski and check in with your lupies"...and more tears, but this time - tears of comfort. How much I loved reading everyone's posts.

This is where my heart is at home the most suz,st.james and conrad....
thank you, thank you; oh and did I forget to mention THANK YOU !!!

Much love,
Browneyedgirl

stjames13
09-15-2006, 05:36 AM
8)
HOPE YOU'RE FEEELING BETTER TODAY BROWNEYEDGIRL !!!!!

Don;t be to hard on yourself this can be overwhelming at times and very confusing......between the KNOW IT ALL DOCS and the KNOW IT ALL HERBALISTS......
I really do wish someone would do some real research on this DISEASE so we can be treated like HUMAN BEINGS and not labratory Mice, then we would know that when we are told to take soemthign IT WILL WORK...this playing RUSSIAN ROULETTE with herb and prescriptions gets old ,but right now that's all we got so we have to do our research and go with that we think is best.......

But you relax today and try tohave a good day......we all have days that we are just so tired of dealing with tis and just want to be normal...when I get like that I go play my guitars.....you must have something you enjoy doing...some kind of HOBBY.....DO IT USE IT and NEVER LET this disease get the BEST OF YOU !!!!

KEEP THOSE BROWN EYES CLEAR AND HAPPY !!!!

STJAMES :wink:

Saysusie
09-15-2006, 08:56 AM
Hi Browneyedgirl:
I want to send you tons of hugs and understanding. It is very frightening to have to come to terms with the fact that this disease has caused a major life change and left you in a kind of abyss: "What do I do now?" "Who am I supposed to be now?" "Why ME??????"
Those are all legitimate questions and you have a right to be ANGRY (girl, let go and just get pissed!!!!). Your anger, fear, frustration and sadness are all justified. Do not ever feel that you have to apologize for expressing those feelings, especially not here!!
I have a dear friend who has sever RA and we were talking, just last night, about not being able to remember one day..just 24 hours, where we did not have pain of some kind, somewhere and how we would love to experience that...just ONE DAY!!!! And so, we've decided that, being mature women dealing with similar diseases, that we had a right to be mad, we had a right to feel bad and we had a right to express those feelings to all of the insensitive clods that we run in to (including uncaring doctors!)
We now take our pleasures and find our joys in much different places than do those people who have no health problems and wake up each moring free of pain and able to do whatever they want whenever they choose. Like St. James pointed out, you will find your joy and its discovery will be a surprise to even you!! You have gifts that you may not even know about...you share part of those gifts with us everytime that you post a response to someone. But, I can tell that there is something in you that you have not even tapped into yet and it is something wonderful.
On the nuts and bolts side of this new turn in your life..since it is your doctors who say that you can no longer work, then are they going to assist you in getting disability? Have you thought about that being your next step? Please consider it and let us know if we can help in any way at all!!
We are all here for you..you are NEVER alone!!

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

ButterflyRN
09-15-2006, 03:03 PM
Oh Browneyedgirl! Much love to you! It's hard to admit that we just can't deal with things like we use too. I'm sorry that you are having a tough time. I hope you start to feel better soon and you know what it's okay to have a pitty party for yourself every once in a while. You are in my prayers and I hope you feel better soon. :D
Love, Butterfly

browneyedgirl53
09-16-2006, 09:54 PM
Hi Guys,

Thank you with all my heart; I am having hard time picking myself up off the floor -after this latest news - that it looks like I have esophageal lupus (whatever in tarnation that is....I already don't like it!

I used to watch movies and there would be scenes where the guy gets out of control and busts up everything in sight; and staggers through the door with that huge "relief" look; like "I feel better"...."I'm the man"....
well, I feel like that inside but I am too weak to do it.

Are any of you familiar with esophageal lupus?? cerebritis????

So so tired right now, think I better sign off.

Much love, sisters and brothers;
Browneyedgirl

p.s. you are so important to me....thank you for being here !!

psalm 56 3
09-17-2006, 02:53 AM
What I am grateful for
1. For God who is the center of my life, and the one in control.
2. For my husband of 30 years. I was 16 and he was 17 when we married 3/25/1976. I think I fell in love with God that day.
3. For my son and daughter. There is not a day that goes by that I don't thank God for them.
4. I am grateful for my 5 grandchildren. They keep me young running after them. Being around them can be so euphoric, its like being in love all the time.
5. I am grateful for the birds that sing in the early morning letting me know it is a new day.
6. I am grateful for all the beauty nature has to offer. My favorite is the rose. When I look at roses I always think of God, who else could have created such beauty? To live in close proximity to the mountains and a stones throw from the beach.
7. I am grateful to have been born a United States Citizen. What an honor to be part of the greatest country in the world.
8. I am grateful for my true friends, they know who they are.
9. I am grateful for people who do random acts of kindness, not for the attention, but because it is who they are. They make me proud of the human race.
10. I am grateful for the people who created and maintain this site. For all the members who have been helping me to understand what it is I am going through. For having this site to go to when the pain is unbearable and you cannot sleep. You have given me hope and more importantly peace.

Browneyedgirl, rest and take it one day at a time. I will be praying for you.

Saysusie
09-17-2006, 07:36 PM
Hi Browneyedgirl :lol:
Here is what I found out about Esophageal Lupus:
One part of the gastrointestinal tract that SLE frequently affects is the esophagus, usually leading to difficulty in swallowing. This symptom occurs because inflammation and weakness of the esophageal muscle leads to poor contraction. Thus, food does not easily pass down the esophagus into the stomach, producing the sensation of food being stuck in the esophagus. SLE can also lead to heartburn and regurgitation, as well as ulcerations of the esophageal lining. These symptoms are treated as they would be in any person who suffers from gastroesophageal reflux disease. At this time, the best advice for someone with SLE-related esophageal inflammation is to have close follow-up with a gastroenterologist to determine further therapeutic options. With lupus there can be a problem with the muscle rhythm and tone of the esophagus, called esophageal clysmotility and often, if you are taking calcium channel blockers, they may sometimes cause problems with the esophagus and esophageal sphincter.
Gastrointestinal (GI) manifestations occur in approximately 25 to 40 percent of patients with systemic lupus erythematosus. The mechanism by which lupus leads to esophageal dysmotility is not known. It may be caused by an inflammatory reaction in the esophageal muscles, or by ischemic (a local anemia caused by mechanical obstruction of blood supply) or vasculitic changes to Auerbach's plexus (in digestion: The small intestine receives masticated and partially digested food from the stomach and begins the process of absorption of nutrients via the villi. To help transport the digesting matter down the great length of the small intestine, well-developed muscles consisting of an inner circular and an outer longitudinal layer are utilized (peristalsis). Driving these muscles are sympathetic and parasympathetic nerve fibers of the autonomic nervous system. Two ganglionic sites form where the synapses of the parasympathetic fibers meet: the myenteric Auerbach's plexus and the submucosal Meissner's plexus. The Auerbach's plexus lies between the longitudinal (outer muscle layer) and circular muscular (inner) coats of the duodenum. Peristaltic movements of digesting material originate in the muscles (myogenic) and are initiated by local reflexes. The peristaltic reflex can occur without any neural connections to the brain or spinal cord. Stimulation of the sympathetic nerves inhibits movements while parasympathetic stimulation accelerates peristalsis).
Mixed connective tissue disorders , systemic lupus erythematosus, systemic sclerosis, and polymyositis—affect the esophagus more so than other parts of the GI tract and can cause dysphagia.

Cerebritis: This is an inflammation of the cerebrum. Nervous system involvement in systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) occurs in 24%-50% of all patients in the United States at some time during the course of their illness. Lupus cerebritis with associated headache, seizures, stroke, and chorea is just one of a wide array of central nervous system disorders SLE patients can develop. It also is one of the most difficult manifestations of lupus to diagnose. Advances in imaging and laboratory analysis have contributed to an earlier and more specific diagnosis of lupus cerebritis.
IVIg (Intraveneous Immunoglobulins) has shown some success in treating Lupus Cerebritis. Intravenous immunoglobulin (IVIG) is an accepted treatment for some autoimmune diseases, it is a substance that has the ability to regulate lupus activity. IVIg has also been reported to be an effective treatment for arthritis, thrombocytopenia and the neuropsychiatric mainifestations of lupus, IVIG has been shown to exert different antitumour mechanisms that result in metastases suppression.

I hope that I did not give you an information overload! Please take very good care of yourself, get lots of rest and try (as best you can) not to over stress yourself about these new circumstances in your life and your health. I know that this is so much easier to say and suggest than it is to actually do. But, we are here to help you in any way that we can and I want you to know that you are in my thoughts always and in my prayers daily!!
Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

browneyedgirl53
09-17-2006, 09:29 PM
Thank you angel girl !! I see an ENT on Tuesday - and a neurologist on Thursday (second and third opinons)....it is truly a blessing to have my
mom here; I don't know what I would do without her; cheerleading; coaching and cleaning - she is my resident angel.

Thank you my lady, you truly are such a wonderful blessings. I may not be posting this next week - as I am having lots of work done at the hospital.

Much love, and keep that sun shinin' bright in your heart !!

We love you,
Browneyedgirl

littlered
09-21-2006, 10:57 AM
1. That I am alive.
2. That I have people who love me.
3. That I was born in the USA.
4. That God has allowed my parents to live in their 80's.
5. That I have a good intellect.
6. That I can find humor in everyday situations.
7. That I will be a Grandma in 4 more months (TWINS :D )
8. That I have a beautiful house (even though it needs some work)
9. That my dogs keep me company.
10. That my husband has a great job that supports the two of us.

browneyedgirl53
09-22-2006, 08:29 AM
Oh littlered,

You do my heart good - thanks so much for sharing. Sometimes it can be so easy to forget all the wonderful blessings we have in our lives; when we stay focused on this disease.

Thank you for sharing - I like to come to this topic at least once a day to read everyone's "thankful" list; and the tears fall - happy tears that we ALL have so very much to be thankful for even through our pain.

It's so nice to have you here - thanks again for sharing, friend.

Much love,
Browneyedgirl