PDA

View Full Version : Is it a flare, or is it not, or is it PMS?

buddhabelly
07-28-2006, 03:15 PM
I've been feeling pretty good for a good couple weeks. :) Then early this week, I've been getting headaches that lasted all day, even after taking tylenol and naps. Then along with the headaches, I've been feeling tightness in my neck and back. I've also been feeling more tired than usual, I musta yawned 100 times at work the other day. :( Then I looked at my calendar, :roll: I must be PMSing. Or has all this been due to the weather change? The temps. were bearable last week, now the heatwave and humidity is back! 8) PMS and a Heatwave are not the greatest combination.
Sorry for the complaining. This has probably happened to you and is nothing new. I've just been feeling so miserable this week, just needed to vent out. Thanks for listening... :)

Tiffery
07-28-2006, 07:12 PM
Hope you get to feeling better. I sure have had days like that, remember that you are not alone. :)
Tiffery

Saysusie
07-29-2006, 08:43 AM
Hi Buddahbelly;
Headaches are not at all uncommon for Lupus patients. They are very similar to migraines and are, in fact, called Lupus Migraines. The most common types of headaches in Lupus are divided into five groupings:

1) muscle contraction headache;
2) common migraine;
3) classic migraine;
4) cluster headache; and
5) temporal arteritis.

The chronic fatigue that we suffer from can range from irritating to debilitating. Any changes in your body (such as PMS) can aggravate these symptoms and, of course, this oppressive heat does not help at all.
I say all of this to say that it is probably a combination of your Lupus, PMS and the heat!
Sorry I was not more helpful :cry:

Saysusie

buddhabelly
07-29-2006, 03:55 PM
Thanks Saysusie! :wink: You always have the right answer for us. :) Your answers are always very helpful. :)

My headaches almost feel like a tension headache where it affects my neck and upper back muscles. How do I know if I'm having a migraine? Sometimes when my headache is so bad, it usually aches on 1 side of my head. During those times, any type of light (room light, tv, computer screen, or an open window) makes it worst. Tylenol seems to not help all the time. That's when I know I'll be carrying that headache all day long. :cry:

browneyedgirl53
07-30-2006, 05:04 PM
Hi Buddhabelly,

I too suffer from those nasty headaches, because I am at stage 3 going on 4 kidney failure I have been encouraged by my doc to take tylenol....so my response this last time was "you try living in this head while this pain is going on...and then tell me Tylenol is the answer"...he smiled. When mine are really,really bad, I take an Advil...but only when they are unbearable. Make sure you check with your doctor about meds. But Advil knocks out my headaches. My doctor mentioned that spicy and acidic foods can trigger those kinds of headaches.

Hope you're feelin' better.

Life is good, love is better.
Browneyedgirl

buddhabelly
07-30-2006, 05:21 PM
Thanks Browneyedgirl53 for the info. :wink: I don't eat spicy food very often, but I'll try to limit my acidic intake, that means orange juice-which is my favorite. O well, anything to help avoid those killer headaches. So having these headaches are common for us? I was beginning to worry that something else is happening to me. My doctor says its ok for me to take the tylenol. I try to avoid Advil-supposedly its not good for the liver.

Hope everything's going well with you. Keep in touch. :B-fly:

browneyedgirl53
07-30-2006, 05:30 PM
Hi Buddhabelly,

Just think when we're all through with these headaches, we have menopause to look forward too (I'm already there?)

I'm doing well, thanks for asking. I am learning to smell the roses, slow-down, listen to my body - and am learning that this is not dress rehearsal....THIS IS IT....and learning to live in the moment!!! Choosing happiness over hopelessness, chosing gratefulness over worry, and choosing to live like I have nothing to worry about. I realize now,"we don't have time to keep driving our lives in reverse, looking in the rearview mirror....but tolook ahead, enjoy the view, and stop to enjoy those people who weave in and out of our lives".

That was my little sermon today (smile).....how are you doing?

Life is good, love is better
Browneyedgirl

buddhabelly
07-30-2006, 05:39 PM
Gosh, I'm not near menopause yet, but, I surely feel like I am. :( I love your last post. You're so optimistic about everything. I wish you rubbed off a little bit of that on me. I've only been diagnosed with it since March 06, so, everything is a new experience for me. I've learned so much, I learned to listen to my body, and am willing to learn much more. I guess its just been a difficult transition for me. It just happened so fast and was such a shock... I remember last summer, I was a different person who didnt have these worries to think about it. I also had lots of hair then (still kinda frustrated about the thinning hair) :cry: Sorry for being such a crybaby, its the PMS. I caught myself crying to all the movies I watched today. :cry:

browneyedgirl53
07-30-2006, 05:55 PM
Listen love, anytime your life changes in such a short time, you feel like you were hijacked in midsentence and you don't know where you're at!! My diagnosis happened just that way also.

I was an executive secretary for many years, I dressed to the latest fashions, and girlfriend, I can tell you that like Samson, my hair was my best asset (or so I thought at the time)....ha! Well, my beautiful brunette hair is now glossy silver...and I've gone for the sheer to the head look since it's so thin now.

Thank you for your compliment, believe me I didn't transition through this lupus diagnosis gracefully - it has been the struggle of my life; especially that everything changed in a year's time - heart attack, kidney failure, CNS involvement and memory loss. Now that I look back, I can acknowledge that I based my self worth on what I did to earn money...and how sad is that?

I have decided that this lupus has been a blessing of sorts in my life - I've learned that what you do for a living isn't WHO you are - it's what you do. Who you are to your family and friends....that's where the goldmine lies (that's the stuff that keeps us sane).

I can attribute my attitude to my mom - my hero. She continues to remind me - that this too shall pass. Also, remember when you're standing on the mountaintop looking at the beautiful valley - it's in the valley where everything blossoms and grows - it's not the mountaintops. I've decided to appreciate that through every circumstance - choose joy.

Love to you,
browneyedgirl

buddhabelly
07-30-2006, 06:07 PM
Thank you for all your positive vibes. :wink: My mom also reminds me that this too shall pass. Its only an obstacle in life I must tackle. You've tackled so much more than me. So I apologize for being such a crybaby, crying about my hair. As of now, my symptoms only consist of jointpains/swollen fingers, headaches, light sensitivity, and stage 1 lupus nephritis. You're a strong individual-who I will look up to. Keep in touch whenever you need to talk... :wink:

browneyedgirl53
07-31-2006, 05:20 PM
Hey Buddhabelly

I gotta hear the story on your name (I LOVE IT)...every time I think of it - it makes me smile.

This website has been such a godsend for so many of us - and I am truly thankful that you have such an open heart and an open spirit for sharing.

I have a feeling we'll be in touch for years to come.

Life is good
Love is better - Browneyedgirl