PDA

View Full Version : Should I change my diet?

buddhabelly
07-21-2006, 04:25 PM
Should I change my diet? Maybe it'll help prevent the symptoms? :?: What foods should I avoid? Red meat? Caffeine? Salt? What else? I need your help. :( My hands and wrists have been bothering me. I'm thinking maybe its my diet. What foods do you suggest? :?:

Missy
07-23-2006, 10:24 PM
There is no one Lupus diet. you will hear stories and see books, but no one thing, including medications & food, work for everyone with Lupus.

My suggestion would be to write down what you eat if you think you have some sensitivies to food and see if your symptoms are better with and without certain foods.

I think all doctors and dieticians recommend a well balanced diet with minimal "bad stuff" (you know: smoking, drinking, fats, cholesterol, etc.) Your doctor should tell you if you need extra supplements, like Calium and Vitamin D, if you are on Prednisone or Iron if you are on immune suppresants.

Be Well,

browneyedgirl53
07-23-2006, 11:43 PM
I can share with you my experience, after suffering kidney failure last year, my nephrologist took me off of salt, meat protein once a week, lots of fiber, fruits, vegetables (no tomatoes or orange juice - too much acidity)....Talk to your MD or nutrionist about suggestions.

p.s. Like you, I thought it must be my diet......isn't it funny we always want to "what" made this happen?
Hope you're doing well. Have a great day.

Browneyedgirl

Saysusie
07-24-2006, 04:06 AM
Hi Browneyedgirl53;
Like Missy said, there is no one definate diet for Lupus. Not so curiously, the best diet for lupus is the best diet for all of us. Enjoy moderate amounts of freshly prepared foods (some say organic foods are better). Favor a variety of quality whole foods. Avoid highly processed, refined, denatured foods—including leftover or stale foods. While these lesser quality foods offer calories and fill the belly, they're not deeply satisfying or energizing. Be careful to not over consume carbohydrates. Because people with lupus have challenged digestive systems and it is imperative to have ample and easily digested protein (although we are cautioned to limit our intake of red meats). It is generally not recommended to undertake a vegetarian diet. Fish or chicken soup will be easier to assimilate than a bean burrito.
Favor easy-to-digest, nutritionally balanced foods. It takes minimal effort to extract nutrients from soft, well-cooked foods. When energy is limited, don't squander it on a wrestling match with a slice of pizza. Favoring easily digested foods frees our energy for important repair work.
It is also suggested that we stay away from any strict “clean-out” diet. Cleansing diets work well for people with robust energy. Because lupus is a degenerative disease, we are generally frail and chronically fatigued. Our primary needs are to rebuild and strengthen. Fortunately, a daily diet of good quality food enables gentle cleansing over a long period of time without stressing our already over-stressed system.

Some suggest that a critical dietary supplement for those with lupus is essential fatty acids (EFAs). It is believed that when there is an EFA deficiency, the whole body declines and eventually dies. Therefore, it has been suggested that Flax seed and fish oil can be superior sources of these essential nutrients. However, there are also those who suggest against these EFAs. So, this is an area where you will need to discuss the pros and cons with your doctor!

Also, it has been said that mature alfalfa leaves are medicinal for lupus. However, immature alfalfa sprouts (those that have not yet set forth their first two leaves) contain the amino acid canavanine, which exacerbates the inflammations of lupus and other autoimmune diseases. So, it is best to just avoid them if it is too difficult for you to make the distinction.

Also, members of the nightshade family, which includes tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant and peppers, are said to aggravate lupus symptoms, so people with lupus should eat these foods rarely, if at all. Now, I, personally, have never had problems with any of these vegetables - so here again, it is a personal issue and would depend upon your symptoms and your body!!

All in all...a healthy diet is the best diet for everyone - with or without Lupus - but especially for us!!

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

browneyedgirl53
07-26-2006, 03:14 PM
Hi SaySusie,

You are a fountain of knowledge! Thank you so much. I have learned more about Lupus from this site, than I have from my doctors.

Again, what a blessing it is to have this forum and opportunity for sistah's (smile) to share.

Thank you and God Bless You !!!!
browneyedgirl

Saysusie
07-29-2006, 08:36 AM
You are very welcome Browneyedgirl :lol:
Also, thank you for sharing on this site.....I appreciate all of your posts!

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

marybeth
10-15-2006, 07:14 PM
I have found that I get symptoms after eating cooked tomatoes (tomato sauce) and also gluten. Got tested for celiac, had antibodies for celiac (anti-gliatin) in the celiac panel (blood test). So have gone gluten free and have much less joint pain. Every year or so I try some gluten again and get joint pain very quickly. Also have given up tomato sauce. Still have flares (am very sick now), but these changes in diet seemed to help a lot.

lupusgirlstefanie
10-29-2006, 04:44 PM
I agree there isn't one diet that works the same for everyone, it depends on you. I think a normal well balanced diet would be the best.

But if there is anything that you feel bothers you by all means cut out of your diet and see.

I know for me I limit my acidy stuff cause of my tummy and I limit my red meat since i find it nauseating to much of it.

What I did was keep a daily journal and if I noticed my symptoms flaring I would see what I ate that day and try to cut things out one at a time to see if it made a difference and the only differnec was that cutting red meat to a lot less helped my tummy and cutting things that had a lot of acid.

Good luck