PDA

View Full Version : How common is chemo. used on lupus partients?

pinkjmf
07-12-2006, 12:48 PM
I have never heard it being used till the other day. I thought that it was reserved only for cancer patients. I heard that it has the potential of wiping out lupus ????? It sounds to good to be true. If it were that easy I would think everyone with lupus would be having chemo. I looked up on the ask.com and it had alot of articles about this.

Saysusie
07-14-2006, 01:28 PM
From what I've read and heard, chemotherapy is only used on the worst cases of Lupus - eminent life-threatening cases. I have never heard of it being used as a standard treatment. Of those treated with chemotherapy, it was given for four days and the bad news is, not everyone went into a remission. The good news was 40% did, and the remissions had lasted as long as five years! Doctors warn that chemotherapy is not a cure, but it's another way of thinking about the worst lupus.

Saysusie

ButterflyRN
07-14-2006, 02:15 PM
The chemotherapy I got helped to put my lupus/lupus nephritis in remission for 8 1/2 years until my recent flare. I received it again recently for my flare of lupus nephritis. That's the only time I receive it.