PDA

View Full Version : It's been a long time

Roni Shawn
07-11-2006, 09:34 AM
I'm sorry that I havent kept in touch with everyone. But I needed to get on here today. I watched Mystery Diagnosis. There was this woman that had the same level of ANA that I had, and MY docs tell me now that I do NOT have Lupus, and that the level that I had was not elevated enuff( 1:160) and this is what the woman had too, and her Doc said it was SIGNIFICANTLY high. Im ANGRY at these damn doctors. Anyone out here that is having trbl with docs right now? I am TOTALLY pissed and depressed now. THanks.Roni

Saysusie
07-14-2006, 01:17 PM
Hi Roni;
The titer shows how many times the technician had to mix fluid from your blood to get a sample free of ANAs. Thus a titer of 1:640 shows a greater concentration of ANA than 1:320 or 1:160, since it took 640 dilutions of the plasma before ANA was no longer detected.
Since each dilution involves doubling the amount of test fluid, it is not surprising that titers increase rapidly. In fact, the difference between titers of 1:160 and 1:320 is only a single dilution. And it doesn't necessarily represent a major difference in disease activity.

Lower than 1:20 is considered a negative result.
1:80 is considered a "low positive" and more tests should be ordered. 95% of people with 1:80 ANA or below, however, are considered not to have Lupus. A titer above 1:80 is usually considered positive. A titer of 1 to 80 (1:80) means that antibodies could be last detected when 1 part of the blood sample was diluted by 80 parts of another liquid (usually a dilute salt solution). A larger second number indicates that the antibodies are present in greater concentration. Therefore, a titer of 1 to 320 indicates a higher concentration of antibodies in the blood than a titer of 1 to 80.

Also, each lab has different dilution standards so normal values may vary from lab to lab.

Does this help you at all?
Saysusie