PDA

View Full Version : my husband has SLE

kimmykins
07-11-2006, 06:09 AM
Hi Everyone,I just found this website and was hoping to find out if there are very many men diagnosed? My husband has had a very trying experience with Drs. because they refused to say he had SLE. His Dr. told us it was only a womans disease. Can you imagine! I would greatly appreciate any feed back, and just some information I can share with Tex ( my husband).
Thanx,Kimmykins

ganesha
07-11-2006, 10:16 AM
Kimmy,
I am a 34 yo male, and I definately have lupus:) Doctors fortunately did not write me off as crazy when I listed lupus on my list of possible problems that were causing all my pain and discomfort. I had complete blood work done and my ana was high, so I went to a rheumatologist and he did more tests that confirmed my fears. There are several men on this website who have been diagnosed, so it is not rare. More unusual, but not rare.
So, if you have the resources find a rheumatologist that will not spew sexist crap and will have an open mind to what is going on with your husband. I have avoided doctors most of my life due to expense and their god complexes, but I find myself at their mercy these days, and take comfort in knowing that there are many on my case helping me. You should be able to find a doc that will listen and have a caring attitude. Lupus appears to be a long very bumpy road, and we cant have our healthcare providers fighting against us. I wish your husband luck in his search and health.
Brent