PDA

View Full Version : What I learned today

pinkjmf
07-08-2006, 04:23 PM
Today I went off with some friends we went to eat out and go to a museum. After getting to the restaurant I began to feel weak, we ate and proceeded with our plans. When we arrived at the museum I knew that I would not be able to walk around. I didn't want everyone to have to care for me so I had the choice of walking in extreme pain and not telling them and like any well breed southern lady just smile or I could tell them that I would need a wheel chair. I DID IT !!!!!!! I told them and had a little cry, that was the first time I have ever needed one. We had the best time. I think that was the first adult thing I have done for myself in a long time. Of course I would speak up in an instant for my husband or one of my children. But I put myself on the back burner alot of the times. I had a great time. I would encourage anyone that feels the same way I did go ahead you will feel better about yourself for doing so.

Saysusie
07-09-2006, 02:13 AM
Good for you :lol: :lol: :lol:
I am happy to hear that you "Stood Up" for yourself! As I have always said, "You might be surprised how understanding, accommodating and non-judgemental your friends are when they know the truth!"

I am most happy that you were able to have a good time. Sometimes it is imperative that we put ourselves first :lol:

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

Sunshine101
07-09-2006, 06:18 PM
Wow! Good for you! I bet you had a really enjoyable time and what a brave soul you are! I sometimes resort to walking around the house with an old cane, but am to "scared" to go out in public with it. You go girl! Sunshine 101

jaynedarcy
07-29-2006, 07:35 AM
Definate kudos here. We don't drive and consequently walk to bus stops and so on. That means sun exposure. Even before I was diagnosed with SLE, I would get "sun sick" as my mom called it. 40 odd years later, in the midst of a very hot summer I have finally put my foot down and now take my black umbrella with me. I get the oddest looks from drivers going by as I walk under my umbrella and someone on the bus never can restrain themselves from a smart alecky remark or two.

The umbrella isn't perfect, but it's made those days when I can't avoid the sun a whole lot more unbearable.

I wish I hadn't been so subconscious or vain when I was younger.