PDA

View Full Version : JUDGE JUDY's IGNORANCE

Oluwa
10-17-2013, 06:12 PM
Regarding the recent Fox News Interview of Judge Judy touting her book..and I use the word judge loosely. I must stand up as an advocate for Lupus....

I am Oluwa and I have Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE). Lupus is not a choice.

If we continued as an ignorant whole...as with her ignorance our mortality rate would still be death within 3-5 years after diagnoses.

Preventing death from lupus requires early detection and diagnosis, and appropriate medical care, so later diagnosis, problems in access to care, less effective treatments, and poorer compliance will not cause early death. Period!

I am embarrassed for the well known televised, opinionated reality TV judge... Judge Judy's ignorance. Who would have thought a woman in her position who served in a state government, has an unearned ''status'' in our social society through media would be so ignorant to make a blanketed statement about those who suffer with Lupus. Lumping those who suffer in the same category as drug addicts, individuals with carpal tunnel and etc who take advantage of our government disability assistance programs. Lupus is not a choice.

Her ignorance, her reaction to her duaghter in law having Lupus must be a terrible hardship emotionally and spiritually on her daughter in law. To know your mother in law thinks you are fine. The common phase Lupus suffers hear is " But you don't look sick." I hope her daughter in law gets the emotional support, to be uplifted and etc from other members of her family and friends because surely she is not getting it from this mother in law. Her daughter in law needs to leave a pamphlet next to Judge Judy's gavel before she judges anyone with SLE.

Ignorance regarding Lupus causes people to die every year. Heart attacks, kidney failure, strokes, doctors ignorance for non early detection so we don't become a statistic, Judge Judy's ignorance to gaff if off as if it was the common cold, be stoic, press through it and etc. Public ignorance, public pressure causes people to be afraid to speak up about their symptoms which causes people to die when there is medical technology to manage it.

You need to take personal responsibility in your ignorance. And your judgement by me is to make people aware of the devastating effects Lupus has on people who are inflicted with such a cruel disease. You words can unravel how far the Lupus Organization has come to make people aware of the disease or spread awareness...please do the latter.

We are devoted to solving the mystery of lupus, one of the world’s cruelest, most unpredictable, and devastating diseases and we don't need obstacles like you in our way.

ruziska
10-18-2013, 07:14 AM
Well said Oluwa! Well said! I doubt there is one person with lupus who has never been on the receiving end of "but you don't look sick". It is unfortunately safe to say that all of us at one time or another been subjected to ignorance, rudeness and condenscencion. Even working in an office for independent living, my own boss and coworkers have treated me with rudeness and hurtful comments. They have no idea how much effort it takes every morning and how much makeup I use to look "normal". I even went so far as for a week to not put a lot of effort into my appearance and golly gee whiz, I actually "looked sick" and was finally ALMOST taken seriously. I took a four day weekend this past weekend to deal with some personal issues. During that time, I flared more than usual so when I came back to work on Wednesday, I was in a great deal of pain and had to use crutches. How did my coworkers respond? By assuming I "did something" over the weekend. Yeah, I got out of bed- WHAT WAS I THINKING???

Judge Judy opened her mouth before engaging her brain. That happens a lot. I hope she doesn't seriously believe what she said and truly goofed up which in that case, she needs to make a public statement saying so. If she does believe herself then I hope her daughter in law educates her.

SleepyInSeattle
10-18-2013, 07:56 AM
I don't watch her show but know who she is and I have seen news stories/clips/commercials. Nothing I have seen leads me to believe she's anything other than a Kardashian in a long black robe: i.e., an attention-seeking hack. So I accord her opinion about the same weight I would any other reality-show buffoon. And I won't give her any more attention than she deserves - which is none.

But yeah - it's rude and frustrating.

rob
10-18-2013, 09:14 AM
What did she say?

Mica
10-18-2013, 01:09 PM
I used to love her show and was watching it today but 10 minutes in I remembered what she said got disgusted and ended up switched channels. People like her are the reason lupus gets a bad reputation.

Oluwa
10-18-2013, 02:48 PM
In summary, in one sentence about people taking personal responsibility. Not exact but pretty close..."people who are drug addicts, have carpal tunnel..er, ah... LUPUS work the system to get disability."

Her or someone from her staff posted this today:
Some of you have been commenting on statements I made when I appeared on The Kelly File last week. I'd like to address the issue now because it seems as if my comments may have been misunderstood.

I have a daughter who suffers from Multiple Sclerosis and a daughter-in-law of 25 years who was diagnosed with Lupus, 27 years ago.

Both of these are autoimmune diseases. I am totally familiar with the course of both and the different ways they affect different people. Both of these women have good days and bad ones and both have worked and raised three children. Neither of them has ever sought disability.

In my comments on The Kelly File I was referring to people who use the diagnosis of that disease or any other disease as an excuse not to work even if they are able to work.

I apologize if my comments were perceived differently. I hope this explanation suffices.

Judge Judy Sheindlin

I say, no, Judy it does not SUFFICE!

rob
10-18-2013, 03:05 PM
Unbelieveable.

And gee, what a warm and wonderful non-apology that is.

Thank you very little, Judge Judy.

Oluwa
10-18-2013, 04:53 PM
Please do not let Judy's comments about disability or anyone deter you from filing for disability. You are not weak. You are not irresponsible. You have a disease, an incurable one at that... that has disabled you from working.

Social Security Disability is merely drawing from the monies YOU paid into earlier than at your retirement age. You paid into it. Social Security is from what the employed person had drawn from their income at a rate 7.65% as an insurance in the event they became disabled and/or have some income when they retire. Their employer pays the other 7.65%.

Oluwa
10-18-2013, 05:36 PM
I received this email from her staff....another generic letter

Post Office Box 949 w Hollywood, CA 90078

October 18, 2013

We appreciate your interest in JUDGE JUDY. We strive to present a program that is interesting and enlightening to all of our viewers and we hope you enjoy the results of our efforts.

We have received your email and request that you kindly log onto Judge Judy’s Facebook page to see her recent post.

Thank you again for taking the time to write and we hope you continue to watch our court in action!

Sincerely,

JUDGE JUDY Staff

Abbyrition
10-18-2013, 09:55 PM
I'm pretty sure they, the Judge Judy staff & handlers, just raised their fist, palm toward their face, and lifted their middle finger high in the sky directed right at you with that note. Lucky for them they don't have lupus... Because the joint pain would have gotten them before the finger went up...

Oluwa
10-19-2013, 05:24 PM
A person has to understand the whole context it was given in. The title of the interview was called
“Judge Judy Sheindlin on taking personal responsibility.”
It was about a list of people, disable for various reasons, mediocre people serving….which Lupus was included in that list. Regardless if her daughter has Lupus, she still is a victim of Judge Judy’s words…Those people are not taking responsibility for their lives and our government system is supporting that. You know the mediocre people that serve us, doles out money to people with Lupus because we are not taking responsibility for our incurable diseases.

Not taking responsibility example she provides in reference to having too many children unable to care for them, then lumps in people with addictions, disabilties:

“But actually, if you are responsibly parenting you have only the number of children that you can afford to take care of. And when the government in effect says to you, you know what? You have them, we'll take care of them. And when the government says, in my view --and I know that this is going to sounds harsh and I'm going to get lots of mail, don't send me negative mail. I don't read it. I'm too old, but when I have cases, and I have had them for 30 years, of people who were receiving disability because they are either drug addicts, alcoholics, some have bad backs, some suffer from -- you know, I have carpal tunnel in my hands,I have lupus.* I think what we have done to a whole group of people is say, not to worry. If you can't take care of yourself, we'll take care of you."

*I took the daughter in law bit out because really it is irrelevant as we all know our flares come and go but nevertheless still debilitating to let the conversation flow as one..it read.. "I have a daughter-in-law who has lupus. Sometimes she's tired, but most of the time she gets up and does what she has to do. Sometimes it's debilitating, sometimes not."

But in another way it is relevant because her as a Judge already has a preconceive notion on how she feels about Lupus...bias...and she would be making a decision based on that bias.

Then she provides another example of those who are not taking responsibility of their own lives..

“When I have a man, a perfectly capable able-bodied guy who has been going to college for seven years and getting $20,000 a year from the government, and the only thing he can do after seven years is play the guitar, I think somebody's got their hands on my pocket.”

She even said..... ''and I know that this is going to sounds harsh and I'm going to get lots of mail, don't send me negative mail. I don't read it. I'm too old.''

Oluwa
10-19-2013, 05:44 PM
Please sign. It is from a fellow Lupie..

http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/hold-judge-judy-accountable.fb40?source=s.fb&r_by=9270077

rob
10-19-2013, 07:01 PM
I signed the petition, and forwarded it to my Mom who also has SLE.

Thanks Oluwa for bringing this to our attention, and for the link to sign the petition.

steve.b
10-19-2013, 07:53 PM
untill now, i have kept out of commenting on this subject.

we should not try to belittle anyone,
2 wrongs do not make a right.

yes judge judy was wrong to have a bias,
it stops her from being able to take the facts, as they present themselves.

the petition is a constructive way to address her ignorance .......
SO PLEASE LOOK AT THE PETITION, and consider signing it.

Oluwa
10-19-2013, 08:15 PM
Oct. 17, 2013
Open Letter to Judge Judy

Over the last few days many of you have expressed your concern and outrage over Judge Judy’s recent remarks about lupus during her interview on Friday, Oct. 11 on Fox News with Megyn Kelly. We share your outrage and believe that her remarks were insensitive and minimized the impact and suffering of those living with disease. We have taken action and sent a letter to Judge Judy, from Sandra Raymond President and CEO of the Lupus Foundation of America, asking her to retract her remarks. We are following up with her office, and will keep you apprised of any developments. Below is a copy of the letter that was sent to her office.

Dear Judge Judy,

I am writing in response to your interview with Fox News on Friday October 11th with Megyn Kelly. I wanted to bring to your attention that we have been contacted by a number of individuals with lupus and their families who expressed concern that your statements regarding lupus were insensitive and minimized the impact and suffering of those living with disease.

Lupus is one of the cruelest and most mysterious diseases on earth-it can ravage virtually every organ system, and has no known cause and no known cure, and its symptoms can range from a skin rash to a heart attack. Lupus most often strikes young women in the prime of their lives. We hear stories every day of women who are no longer able to work or have families as a result of debilitating health consequences such as heart attacks, kidney disease, or seizures to name a few.

Nearly 73 percent of Americans ages, 18-34 have never heard of lupus, or know little or nothing about the disease. This contributes to a situation where the disease is often misunderstood. We hope and believe that public figures and celebrities, such as yourself, can be a positive force for increasing public understanding of the disease. Raising public awareness of lupus is critical to getting people diagnosed and treated earlier, and ultimately preventing long-term health consequences.

We hope that you will listen and consider the concerns of the millions of families affected by this disease as you speak about lupus in the future. We also know you have a personal connection to lupus and are here as a resource for you and your family. Please contact us if you have any questions, or would like to talk further about how we can work together to raise awareness of lupus.
Thank you.

Sandra C. Raymond

President and CEO

rob
10-20-2013, 01:09 AM
A Reminder For All-

Do not bring disputes and/or complaints about other websites, or about individual members/staff of those sites, to WHL.

Also, there is a fine line between expressing one's dissatisfaction with a public figure or other individual's words and statements, and insulting and/or launching personal attacks against that person. As a person with SLE who is on disability, I fully understand the emotions about this issue, and I feel anger over this issue as we all do. I voiced my opinion on page 1 about what Judge Judy said, as well as my opinion of her apology. I see others have as well, and there is nothing wrong with voicing a strong opinion on another persons words or actions.

However, crossing the line from disagreeing with ones words and actions, to hurling personal insults against that person gets us absolutely nowhere, and can in fact have a detrimental effect upon our cause in this instance.

Please folks, lets keep this thread free of personal insults.

Thank You,

Rob

tgal
10-20-2013, 08:13 AM
Ok, I am making my first post on this thread now. I actually saw this before it was brought up here. I placed an open letter from someone with Lupus on the aforementioned social media site at the time. It was then given to me on that same place her explanation of what she meant and I privately went off because it wasn't enough for me either since I am one of the people she is talking about.

Having said that, I stayed out of the discussion here because it is too personal and I didn't know if I could discuss this withough my personal feelings (hurt, insult, anger) not coming through and I know this is not the place for it. While it is wonderful that we share information it is never a good thing to place our home in jeapardy or to be a part of helping raise the stress levels of our family members. We know that stress can make us more ill and we must all be careful to make sure our discussions stay at the level of discussions and not rise to the level of helping instigate negative emotions.

I signed the petition and was thankful for that bit of info. That is what WHL is about. Giving us a place to share information like this and to vent but let's all be careful, in a situation like this, that we are not putting our home ( WHL) or its family members in a place to get damaged.

Elaine1
11-29-2013, 11:12 PM
I just today signed the petition, told a bit of my experience, wished her well, nothing directed toward her in any way, and that I feel blessed in that I am alive.