PDA

View Full Version : Sjogren's Syndrome

pinkjmf
07-03-2006, 03:01 PM
How common is it for Lupus patients to have Sjogren's also? I had an appt. today at the rheumatologist and I have been having an enormous thirst I can't ever get enough to drink.{I have been very dry you know.uh.. kinda..down there.}sorry to share that with you.Well, the doctor said that it was Sjogren's Syndrome. He said it over lapped into my Lupus. Sound familiar to anyone????
If you have this please tell me how do you ever get the dry mouth to go away. The doctor gave me a Rx for Evoxac. He said to take it three times a day. I am really hoping that it works.

Saysusie
07-03-2006, 03:21 PM
Hi Pink;
Yes, it is quite common to have Sjogren's Syndrome in overlap with Lupus. In fact, Sjogren's syndrome can occur alone or in association with other autoimmune diseases, and the most common ones are systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) and rheumatoid arthritis (RA). Sjogren's syndrome is a chronic autoimmune disorder in which the glands that produce tears and saliva do not function correctly. When associated with another connective tissue disease, such as SLE or RA, it is termed secondary Sjogren's syndrome.
Here is some information that I found concerning Sjogren's and Lupus:
"t is not uncommon to find features of secondary Sjogren's in people with SLE. Those with primary Sjogren's syndrome and those with SLE have other similar disease symptoms, including:
arthritis
skin rash
kidney disease.
increased levels of antinuclear antibodies are seen in both diseases.
In some cases, an increased association of certain genes is found in individuals with both primary Sjogren's syndrome and SLE.
Sjogren's syndrome may also be confused with disease processes, such as:
viral infections
drug side effects (dryness from various antihypertensive agents, antidepressant agents or antihistamine agents, etc.).
Other disease processes may also cause salivary gland enlargement:
viral infections
sarcoidosis
diabetes.

Here are the most common symptoms of Sjogren's Syndrome (of which yours is listed):
Mouth: The symptom most associated with Sjogren's syndrome is oral (mouth) dryness, known as xerostomia.

Other oral symptoms that may be present include:
burning of the tongue
cracking of the tongue
increased dental caries (cavities)
trouble swallowing
difficulty speaking without the use of continued lubrication.

Fluid intake is often necessary both with and between meals because of the decrease in salivary gland secretion.

The parotid glands (major salivary glands located behind the jaw) may be enlarged and painful swelling may also be noted. Enlargement of the parotid and other glands is uncommon in those with secondary Sjogren's syndrome.

Eyes
Eye involvement is the other major manifestation of Sjogren's syndrome.
People often complain of a sandy or gritty feeling in their eyes, especially in the morning.

Other ocular symptoms that may be present include:
decreased tearing
redness
itching
photosensitivity, due to the loss of the lining cells of the conjunctiva, a condition called keratoconjunctivitis sicca.

Glands
A decrease in mucous gland secretion of the upper and lower respiratory tract will be indicated by a chronic dry cough.
A decrease in mucous gland secretions of the gastrointestinal tract may be associated with esophageal (throat) dryness, as well as trouble swallowing and irritation of the stomach.

Vaginal dryness may cause irritation and pain during intercourse.

Extraglandular: Symptoms that show up outside the glands are seen in one-third of people with primary Sjogren's syndrome, but rarely in those with secondary syndrome.

These extraglandular symptoms may include:
joint pain
muscle pain
low-grade fevers
increased fatigue.
Such symptoms and signs may be associated with:
lung involvement
kidney involvement
vasculitis (inflammation of blood vessels).
lymphomas (tumors of the lymph glands), which develop in 6% of people with Sjogren's syndrome who have systemic disease.

I hope that this has been helpful
Peace and Blessings
Saysusie