PDA

View Full Version : steves big step

steve.b
09-05-2013, 02:49 AM
In Australia, there are 3 levels of government.
Federal
State
and Local.

Local government is also known as shire government.
Each shire elects councillors to help manage there respective shires.

I have just nominated as a councillor in our upcoming shire elections.
There are 9 councillors on our shire, and 5 of them are up for election.
The election is for a 4 year term, and the other 4 will stand for election in 2 years.
This way only of the council could be replaced at any 1 election.
So the council can still function.

It is a big commitment, and I hope my brain will allow me to keep up with everything.
In my profile, I have mentioned that I am on a disability pension, and I suffer from lupus.
I have also mentioned that I do not drive, (councillors are often expected to also sit on many other committees)
We will see what happens late next month.
The voting is postal, and not compulsory, so total number of votes required to become a councillor is not that high.
I expect to poll very well, and have a better than even chance of winning one of the 5 seats available.

tgal
09-05-2013, 06:06 AM
What an honor! First thing it tells us is what we already knew and that is that you are fabulous! I am so glad to know others see it as well!

I know this has to be a little worrisome with all you have happening but just remember, unlike death and taxes you can get out of this if you ever had to. Take it day by day and I hope the are smart enough to nominate you! You would be awesome

SleepyInSeattle
09-05-2013, 07:41 AM
Congrats! I am sure you'll do great, and add a good perspective to discussions, as you do here.

And, of course, to an American, anything that has "Shire" in the title sounds impossibly exotic and lovely....

debbie-b
09-05-2013, 07:45 AM
Congrats, I too think that you will do great.

Debbie

Oluwa
09-05-2013, 10:34 AM
How wonderful is this..Much. Continue to have faith and believe in yourself just as you had when you put yourself on the ballot. Pace, pace that is what our life is all about it. Listen to rhythm of your body and you will be successful, Steve. Wishing a great turn out for you. Hugs.

Be well...O.

BonusMom
09-05-2013, 02:02 PM
Congrats Steve! I have the utmost faith in you and your ability to represent your community-in spite of Lupus.

As others have said, pace yourself. Don't let yourself get too stressed out or too overwhelmed. Your health and wellbeing are more important than any "job."

kim,l
09-06-2013, 12:42 AM
steve I am so happy for you are truly inspirational for us all hugs kim

Nonna
09-06-2013, 03:53 PM
I am so happy and pleased for you.
Good Luck

rob
09-07-2013, 07:47 AM
That's great news Steve!

The Shire...

Reminds me of Lord of the Rings.

We'll call you Gandalf!

lucky7
09-07-2013, 01:13 PM
WOO HOO!!!! Steve!!!!! SO HAPPY for YOU!!!! YOU ROCK! You will do GREAT!!!

LOL Rob! I thought the same thing when I read "The Shire"! LOL Its so COOL to learn about other countries from our FAMILY MEMBERS on here isnt it!

Jaynie
09-09-2013, 03:33 AM
Wow! What a commitment!
I don't now you really well yet...but you do seem to have a large enough vocabulary ;)

Jx