PDA

View Full Version : Hello All

Kehren
09-01-2013, 01:52 PM
I was constantly sick as a child. I was anemic, had low iron, UTI's, fevers and vomiting every 3-4 weeks for my first 11 years of life. It was my normal and honestly I really don't recall or think back on my childhood as being plagued by sickness. To remember even now, all that comes to mind are one or two bad episodes. My teen years were great as well as a good part of my 20's but then slowly something started feeling different. I remember at 26 a period of unrelenting fatigue but then that passed. It was until after the birth of my last child that I just knew something wasn't right. My energy wasn't returning along with random symptoms that would come and go like the wind and I could not understand why.

Fast forward two years and after countless test and assumptions I tested postitive for Lyme and Rocky Mtn. Spotted Fever. I was thrilled to have an answer but the feeling was short lived. There is no other diagnosis that comes with more controversy, speculation, doubt, and extreme points of views on treatment than IMO than the one of Lyme Disease. As far as invisible illnesses go, it felt like the ugly step child that is shunned and deals with their identity always being in question. For the past 5 years I have walked first hand through that and would not wish that experience on my worst enemy.

This week however I've been granted a new label in life. In one sense there is this great sigh of relief to finally have all the puzzle pieces of my health fall into place and in another there is a bit of sadness to fully embrace the reality of a chronic autoimmune disorder that has went overlooked until now, which of course is Lupus.

I am very lucky. While my fatigue is off the charts and the host of random symptoms varies by the day I have no organ issues present and experience limited joint pain. I have already learned the importance of just how impactful diet, exercise, proper rest and stress reduction can enhance and limit flares. Now I realize there can just be no more excuses to let it slip for a bit. Also to have validation from the medical community and now family vs always dealing with so much speculation and doubt is such a relief.

While there are days I wish it could be different the lessons I have learned are worth the journey. My faith, my family and my friends are what I now value most and everything else, well it just doesn't quite matter.

I am looking forward to learning more about everyone and increasing my knowledge on how to manage Lupus.

tgal
09-01-2013, 07:55 PM
Hi and welcome to WHL. We are very glad that you are here and that you have found some answers that you have been looking for. Please keep in mind that WHL is a board based on western medicine and althought each individual may find diets or natural things that they use with their doctors approval we only discuss proven meds and day to day emotional/mental/physical issues here. Please refer to the "stickies" for the rulesmofmthe board (there are not many :)

We really are glad that you found us and we welcome you to the we have lupus family!