PDA

View Full Version : anyone live in or near atlanta,ga

cnlb2005
07-03-2006, 09:42 AM
i'm planning on moving ti atlanta in the next couple months and wanted to know how much is the city handicapped accesible. what i mean is how friendly to the disabled is it.

if anyone can let me know it would be appreciated

thanks
nicole

Ariel
07-11-2006, 06:19 AM
I know they are the first city in America with an ordinance requiring "visitability" in newly built single family homes. There has to be some sort of wheelchair access into the home. either ramped or flat.

Atlanta's ordinance requires one flat or sloped entrance, doors at least 32 inches wide, wall switches and outlets at reachable heights, and reinforced bathroom walls to allow for installation of grab bars.

Sounds pretty progressive actually. Just driving around Atlanta you'll see pockets of neighborhoods that all are wheelchair accessible. MARTA also has handicapped access in their public transportation system.

I live in Nashville but have spent some time in Atlanta and I'd have to say it's pretty good. I use a forearm crutch on my worst days so I might not be looking at it like a person in a wheelchair would so take it for what it's worth.

cnlb2005
07-11-2006, 09:01 AM
thank you for that information. u'd understand better than somene that don't use anything to get around.

i use a cane but i'm going to have to get a wheelchair because i notice i'm progressively getting worse. it's to the point where i can't go anywhere that i have to stand or walk for to long. especially over uneven pavement.

currently i can't go up any steps even though i use the cane. everywhere i go must be flat(no step). i don't even step off the curb.