PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody taken Ritalin for fatigue/brain fog?

SleepyInSeattle
08-22-2013, 08:26 AM
Hello all!

I hope you're all having a good summer....

Long story short, I am on Methotrexate and Plaquenil - both work well for me, but for many months now I have been on 5mg of Prednisone per day to keep my energy level up and get rid of brain fog. My docs and I would like to get me off that, but even bringing it down to 4mg/day, I feel a difference - this (*&^%$#$ brain fog!!!!! It's awful - I feel like I am a bystander in life, just kinda drifting forgetfully along. I hate it!

Anyway - in doing some web research, I have come across some cases of people taking ritalin (or some similar med) for fatigue and brain fog associated with autoimmune disorders, and I am wondering if anybody here has had experience with it. You guys are my trusted go-tos.

I hate to add another drug to the list, but if it allows me to wean off prednisone, it seems like a less-harmful alternative.

At one point, my neurologist had me try Nuvigil, but I really didn't like that - I am super-sensitive to drugs, and while I never felt wired or anxious on the Nuvigil, it was very expensive and even on half a dose it seemed to completely erase my ability to sleep - NOT a good feature!
:-p

Anyway - just wondering if any of you have advice or experience to offer. I will ask my doctor about it, of course, but I wanted to educate myself beforehand.

As always, thank you Thank You THANK YOU!!!! :-)

steve.b
08-22-2013, 08:57 AM
have you considered depression medications. they are known to help many of us .... not because we are depressed ..... but because the chemical reaction they cause helps our brains. it may be an option to discuss with your doctors.

SleepyInSeattle
08-22-2013, 09:39 AM
Several years ago when I first talked to my GP about the fatigue and brain fog (before I was diagnosed with Lupus/Sjogren's/APS), he put me on meds for depression. I'm definitely not depressed, and they didn't seem to do anything at all for me one way or the other, so we ditched them.

I will investigate them, though...thank you!!!!

steve.b
08-22-2013, 09:08 PM
......... and they didn't seem to do anything at all for me one way or the other, so we ditched them.

I will investigate them, though...thank you!!!!

i am on two different types, to obtain the required benifits, without the side effects. it took a few years of trial and error to find the correct mix for me.
i have found some of the common brands did nothing for me ..... or made things worse. ..... so if you decide to start this proccess, do not give up, .... just modify.

Kjell
08-23-2013, 05:06 PM
I take Adderal its basically the same as Ritalin. I have for years and its very helpful with brain fog.

shelly
08-26-2013, 02:50 PM
Hi all. Yes I take ritalin. I was suffering terribly with fatigue so my doc said we would give it a try. In the beginning I started on focalin, which is just another form. My insurance quit paying for that so now im on ritalin. It made a world of difference. I felt so much better. I can get through my day much better now. I cant say if it would work for everyone but it is worth a try. It also helped me lose weight. I am on a very long list of meds. I take plaquenil, methylpredisolone (16mg) , zoloft, two blood pressure meds, insulin, and morphine. There are several more but thats the main ones. All you can do is give it a try. Let us know how it works for you. Good luck..

running girl
08-26-2013, 07:00 PM
I'm very interested in this post. I have recently been diagnosed with Adult ADHD but haven't started treatment yet. I was concerned about the interaction between plaquenil and a stimulant medication. I'm excited to see if it helps with the brain fog. Or maybe I don't have brain fog at all, it's just ADHD.

Let us know how you make out.